• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Have 1000 DASH on Ledger nano s

unidasher

I'm reading the requirements of setting up a masternode .
In the tutorials i see that i have to run both commands in the same instance on the same wallet .

masternode genkey
getaccountaddress 0

However , I want to keep my 1000 DASH on my Ledger nano s . The ledger nano s can provide me with a wallet address , but not with a masternode key .
Is it OK if i use the DASH address from my nano s (where i will keep the 1000 DASH) , and generate a masternode key on another wallet instance ?
Or will this masternode be corrupt since the address and masternode key needs to be generate from the same wallet instance .

I'm reading the requirements of setting up a masternode .
In the tutorials i see that i have to run both commands in the same instance on the same wallet .

masternode genkey
getaccountaddress 0

However , I want to keep my 1000 DASH on my Ledger nano s . The ledger nano s can provide me with a wallet address , but not with a masternode key .
Is it OK if i use the DASH address from my nano s (where i will keep the 1000 DASH) , and generate a masternode key on another wallet instance ?
Or will this masternode be corrupt since the address and masternode key needs to be generate from the same wallet instance .
When you use start MN, its transaction (unspent output) and masternode privkey (probably), must belong to wallet where start from.

Btw, we have proposal for hardware masternode support with Electrum wallet.

I forgot to say : I am not going to run a MN on windows instance (where you have to have the 1000 DASH on the same wallet as the MN) .
I want to use the cold storage MN option , running it on raspberry pi 3 . But having the 1000 DASH in cold storage on Ledger nano s .

Yes, the masternodeprivkey can be created using any wallet... only requirement is that the key used is the same in both the dash.conf (of running node) and masternode.conf (of collateral node).

I'm not sure though if you are able to edit (or even access) the masternode.conf file of a hardware wallet... ??

The hardwarewallet is only used to generate a DASH address to keep the 1000 DASH on , and to receive payments from the network .
So to "link" the receiving wallet with the active MN , the only way is to edit the masternode.conf on the client ? So keeping the 1000 DASH in cold storage is impossible ? (I can't create a masternode.conf file on a paper wallet for example)

So the proces i want to achieve is :
- generate a receiving DASH address on my ledger hardware wallet via the ledger software (i just generated one as an example : XuPxZf7FCb5mx2MVLvrrNE8618gAmHruc2)
- send 1000 DASH to that address (so it stays in cold storage on my ledger nano s hardware wallet)
- generate a masternodeprivkey on a windows installation with the DASH client installed (masternode genkey)
- set up the Masternode on a Raspberry pie 3 and use the generated address from step 1 and the generated masternode key from step 3 in the config file on the Raspberry pie 3

So to "link" the receiving wallet with the active MN , the only way is to edit the masternode.conf on the client ?
Short answer... sorry, yes.

So the proces i want to achieve is :
- generate a receiving DASH address on my ledger hardware wallet via the ledger software (i just generated one as an example : XuPxZf7FCb5mx2MVLvrrNE8618gAmHruc2)
- send 1000 DASH to that address (so it stays in cold storage on my ledger nano s hardware wallet)
- generate a masternodeprivkey on a windows installation with the DASH client installed (masternode genkey)
- set up the Masternode on a Raspberry pie 3 and use the generated address from step 1 and the generated masternode key from step 3 in the config file on the Raspberry pie 3
These 4 steps look perfect to me, just need step 5 to start the Pi 3 node. I've seen many comments that once 12.1 is released, you will be able to start it from the hardware wallet using Electrum.

Typically, the wallet containing 1000 Dash address is considered to be a 'cold' wallet, but yes it does have to be 'hot' in order to issue the start-alias command to the running node. So your 4 step

Ok I understand ! Thank you for explaining .
Since the cold storage option does not seem so cold after all =] , I might as well skip linux alltogether and just run it hot on a windows machine . Once support for MN ledger is out i can transfer the funds to a safe place .

Ledger nano s is a fantastic device holding many of the cryptos I own .
Just hoping to see MN support so the ledger nano s can hold the collateral in the near future (COLD and safe :) ).

Is there an update on this? I also hold my DASH on the Ledger nano s and have a masternode running but it does not confirm. Are we just waiting for 12.1 to be released and/or does additional work still have to be done on the Ledger side?

What Ledger nano s should do is signing the following using collateral_privkey in Ledger nano s.
Code:
    serialize_for_sig = str(mnconfig['ipport']) \
                        + str(sig_time) \
                        + format_hash(Hash160(bytes.fromhex(mnconfig['collateral_pubkey']))) \
                        + format_hash(Hash160(bytes.fromhex(mnconfig['masternode_pubkey']))) \
                        + str(protocol_version)

Have tested 12.1 testnet masternode + dashd + python script + trezor/keepkey to start a masternode.

Hi all, I have been thinking I should put my masternodes onto a hardware wallet. I have a nano ledger s so that would be ideal, but from this thread it looks like it doesn't work yet. Should I be buying a trezor? I wish I could say I was technical enough to understand all the discussions, but it all seems confusing.

Back