• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How to access my old wallet?

stan

Hi there, on a different computer in the past I used to have a Dash wallet loaded and some coins on it, but I dont have access to that computer anymore, I have loaded new software on this computer but it just generated new wallet for me automatically, I cant seem to find how to logout of the new one and log into the old one, anyone have any idea?

Hi there, on a different computer in the past I used to have a Dash wallet loaded and some coins on it, but I dont have access to that computer anymore, I have loaded new software on this computer but it just generated new wallet for me automatically, I cant seem to find how to logout of the new one and log into the old one, anyone have any idea?

Assuming you are using the Dash Core wallet, the wallet.dat file on your old computer contains the keys to your dash addresses. Unfortunately, the only way to access those coins is to retrieve that wallet.dat. It's like a physical wallet, if you don't actually have it with you then you can't spend the money in it.

how do I retrieve it? there is a chance that I had it on this computer also in the past, Yes it is Dash Core, how do I "log out" and log into the old one?

also when I opened this new Dash wallet, no pass phrase was given to me, just like I dont think it was given to me in the past

how do I retrieve it? there is a chance that I had it on this computer also in the past, Yes it is Dash Core, how do I "log out" and log into the old one?

There is no log out/log in. There is a way to tell the client which wallet file you want to use (if you have multiple), but that does not help if you don't actually have the wallet.dat file which has the coins in it. When you say you might have had it on the new computer, does that mean at some point you backed up your wallet from the old computer and moved it to the new one?

also when I opened this new Dash wallet, no pass phrase was given to me, just like I dont think it was given to me in the past

You can set your own password by encrypting the wallet from the file menu. The password you set does not generate the keys, it only encrypts/decrypts the existing wallet.dat file

Hey mate, what I mean I think I had it on this current computer I am using all along, because i forgot about it, I went and reloaded new software and as I did it it generated new wallet, how can I access the old one if thats the case, how do I find old wallet.dat file, where do I go to look for it?

Hey mate, what I mean I think I had it on this current computer I am using all along, because i forgot about it, I went and reloaded new software and as I did it it generated new wallet, how can I access the old one if thats the case, how do I find old wallet.dat file, where do I go to look for it?

If you're on Windows, hit the start button and type %appdata% in the search box. That takes you to AppData\Roaming. Look for a folder named "Dash". Note "Dashcore" will be your new wallet post- v. 0.12.1, pre-0.12.1 the folder was just called "Dash", so if you have one of those it would be a good sign. If so, your old wallet.dat might be in there and you can just copy it into your "Dashcore" folder.

**If you have already started using your new wallet, make sure you save a copy of the wallet.dat from your Dashcore folder somewhere safe before overwriting it with any others you find**

If you're on Windows, hit the start button and type %appdata% in the search box. That takes you to AppData\Roaming. Look for a folder named "Dash". Note "Dashcore" will be your new wallet post- v. 0.12.1, pre-0.12.1 the folder was just called "Dash", so if you have one of those it would be a good sign. If so, your old wallet.dat might be in there and you can just copy it into your "Dashcore" folder.

**If you have already started using your new wallet, make sure you save a copy of the wallet.dat from your Dashcore folder somewhere safe before overwriting it with any others you find**

^ This.
That situation would be way different than having a wallet on a different computer and not being able to access that computer. If you had the wallet on the computer you are currently using, then look for that wallet.dat file in the Dash folder as mentioned above. As Tallyho said make sure to back up anything you are planning to overwrite

Guys good news yes I have both folders on this comp Dashcore and just Dash see screenshoot, now that I found walled.dat in old Dash folder what do I do next?
What do you mean "just copy it into your "Dashcore" folder" you mean copy wallet.dat and paste it in Dashcore folder? There is already one wallet.dat there or do we want to replace it? I am not too switch on with computers could you please elaborate. Thanks a lot guys if i find this money I am happy to share few dash coins with you;=)!

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    129.9 KB · Views: 76
Guys good news yes I have both folders on this comp Dashcore and just Dash see screenshoot, now that I found walled.dat in old Dash folder what do I do next?
What do you mean "just copy it into your "Dashcore" folder" you mean copy wallet.dat and paste it in Dashcore folder? There is already one wallet.dat there or do we want to replace it? I am not too switch on with computers could you please elaborate. Thanks a lot guys if i find this money I am happy to share few dash coins with you;=)!

First, make sure your wallet isn't running, shut it down if it is.
Now go into Dashcore and rename that wallet.dat. You could rename it to dashcore-wallet.dat or April-wallet.dat or something. This is to prevent it from being overwritten.
Then go into the Dash folder and copy that wallet.dat and paste it into the Dashcore folder.
Now you can restart your wallet and see whether your coins are there :)

Guys its time to celebrate!! Please pm me yours dash wallets I will send you some coins, after the explosion of dash I found quiet decent stash thanks to yous!!;=)

Just another question, I have clicked backuppp now and saved that .dat file, now should I back up everytime I have a new sum in the wallet?
also how do I protect it with the password? At the moment all you need to do is open software, there is nothing protecting it

Also how do I get passphrase? If i go to settings there is a button - change passphrase but its unavailable to able to click on it

I believe the wallet now creates an automatic backup every time it shuts down, you can find these in Tools > Show Automatic Backups. Technically, you only need to backup whenever you create a new address or change address, since wallet.dat only stores your private keys. The number of coins owned by each address (and accessible by each private key) is stored on the public blockchain itself. It is good practice, however, to store multiple backups in different locations, just in case.

The passphrase is used to encrypt wallet.dat and is only usually required when you spend coins. If the "change passphrase" option is greyed out that suggests your wallet is not presently encrypted. Encryption is highly recommended to prevent unauthorised spending, but if you do this it's vital that you don't lose your passphrase, or you will never be able to recover your coins. To set the passphrase you first need to go to Settings > Encrypt Wallet.

Back