• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

V12 Release

running dashd on cold-side
and yes - dashd.pid only runs when dashd is running - but it's missing now....
What's dashd.pid and what did it do? I'm guessing if it's not in the current package because of the bitcoin code base then it's replaced by something else?

What's dashd.pid and what did it do? I'm guessing if it's not in the current package because of the bitcoin code base then it's replaced by something else?

On proper operating systems (IOW, Linux) daemons usually create a file <daemon_name>.pid, which is a normal text-file and holds the process-ID of the daemon.

It's a simple but quite effective way to a) find out if the daemon is running at all, and b) get the process-ID in case you want to kill it.

Do we have some development plan that will promote the trading of DASH with fiat? I think the MN and InstantX features are great but we really need some good trading volumes to compete with other cryptocurrencies. Does the profit from MN making margin trading unlikely because we don't really have a swap market? I mean if you have thousands of DASH, would you run MNs rather than offering swaps? I think the leverage by taking out a swap is what makes trading so profitable. We might not need to think about this when large exchange like Bitfinex had DASH/BTC and DASH/USD pair. Now, it seems relevant to us. I really don't want to go to Cryptsy for DASH trading. I don't know why, I just don't feel comfortable with Cryptsy.

running dashd on cold-side
and yes - dashd.pid only runs when dashd is running - but it's missing now....
Does it really matter if it has dashd.pid? It is usually for process started from the /etc/rc.d directory so that it has some way to kill the dashd from the /etc/rc.d script. One should not run dashd as root anyway where most /etc/rc.d are run as root. One can also find out the pid by running ps or top or other commands. So, what do you really want to achieve with the pid file?

Does it really matter if it has dashd.pid? It is usually for process started from the /etc/rc.d directory so that it has some way to kill the dashd from the /etc/rc.d script. One should not run dashd as root anyway where most /etc/rc.d are run as root. One can also find out the pid by running ps or top or other commands. So, what do you really want to achieve with the pid file?

as crowning said: a) find out if the daemon is running at all
[for use with monitoring software]

Do we have some development plan that will promote the trading of DASH with fiat? I think the MN and InstantX features are great but we really need some good trading volumes to compete with other cryptocurrencies. Does the profit from MN making margin trading unlikely because we don't really have a swap market? I mean if you have thousands of DASH, would you run MNs rather than offering swaps? I think the leverage by taking out a swap is what makes trading so profitable. We might not need to think about this when large exchange like Bitfinex had DASH/BTC and DASH/USD pair. Now, it seems relevant to us. I really don't want to go to Cryptsy for DASH trading. I don't know why, I just don't feel comfortable with Cryptsy.

(As an occasional trader) to make the market one really needs either a script to make trades or really large volume to justify constant watching the market.

There are no open source scripts to trade the DASH on Polonies/Cryptsy/whatever known to me. I mean even simple ones - watch arbitrage opportinuties, do them and replace your orders around the average price.

Also there's no large trading volume to justify time investment.

MN on the other hand offer nearly hands-free payoff.

My masternode's run-time is 6 days and has not been paid for 11 days. I keep seeing masternodes that have run-times of like 14 days being chosen for payment (having been paid only 4 days ago) instead of my MN. For instance this one...

XnG1dkS8EV2pMPTk6JDE4AvTesQa4a3FjT

How is it possible that this masternode's running time is 14 days? Didn't they have to restart when they upgraded? Is the payment system working as designed? Is it being gamed?

You can see in my signature the links where to buy Dash with USD:
https://dashtalk.org/threads/where-to-buy-dash-with-usd-dash-drk-usd.5930/

If you can collect all sites that have the pair DASH/yourFIAT then go for it and promote it... This is an open-source project, we have no boss, no central authority, go and promote what you think is a good thing for Dash.... :smile:

(As an occasional trader) to make the market one really needs either a script to make trades or really large volume to justify constant watching the market.

There are no open source scripts to trade the DASH on Polonies/Cryptsy/whatever known to me. I mean even simple ones - watch arbitrage opportinuties, do them and replace your orders around the average price.

Also there's no large trading volume to justify time investment.

MN on the other hand offer nearly hands-free payoff.

Is arbitrage the real opportunities to profit? I am not a professional trader. It seems to me the real opportunities are coming from a combination of low cost swap and trailing stop order.

You can see in my signature the links where to buy Dash with USD:
https://dashtalk.org/threads/where-to-buy-dash-with-usd-dash-drk-usd.5930/

If you can collect all sites that have the pair DASH/yourFIAT then go for it and promote it... This is an open-source project, we have no boss, no central authority, go and promote what you think is a good thing for Dash.... :smile:
I don't really want to promote anything. I just feel sad DASH is gone on Bitfinex. And, wonder if somehow the exchange can be part of DASH itself. There are decentralized exchange and I thought we also had some discussion on this topic before.

Is arbitrage the real opportunities to profit? I am not a professional trader.

Neither am I. Cross-exchange arbitration might not be a profit opprotunitiy, but surely can be a sign of a potential loss.

It seems to me the real opportunities are coming from a combination of low cost swap and trailing stop order.

Never worked for me :) In any case, trailing stop won't work for a market maker.

looks like we're diverging from the thread subject?

I don't really want to promote anything. I just feel sad DASH is gone on Bitfinex. And, wonder if somehow the exchange can be part of DASH itself. There are decentralized exchange and I thought we also had some discussion on this topic before.
Yes I feel sad too, but we have to move on. Maybe Bitfinex will add Dash back in the future. In the meantime, i am not sure how we can have a "decentralized exchange".. We just have to work with what we have and we do have a good number of exchanges with the pair DASH/USD.

Neither am I. Cross-exchange arbitration might not be a profit opprotunitiy, but surely can be a sign of a potential loss.

Never worked for me :) In any case, trailing stop won't work for a market maker.

looks like we're diverging from the thread subject?
Yes, it is kind of diverging from the subject. I was thinking that as some future development beyond v12. Sorry. Perhaps, we can bring that up some other time on another thread.

Yes, it is kind of diverging from the subject. I was thinking that as some future development beyond v12. Sorry. Perhaps, we can bring that up some other time on another thread.
If someone would start a "localdash.com" like "localbitcoins.com" then it could be great.

Yes I feel sad too, but we have to move on. Maybe Bitfinex will add Dash back in the future. In the meantime, i am not sure how we can have a "decentralized exchange".. We just have to work with what we have and we do have a good number of exchanges with the pair DASH/USD.

I'm not asking for something immediately and I just want to bring this up to the teams and have some discussion for the future plan. Don't know how we can do the decentralized exchange at all. I remember there were some efforts by the Chinese Peatio project. Then, I search its name on Google and found this:

Security report for Peatio exchange Hijacking the ... - Sakurity

Not for fiat currencies.
What will it take for fiat? Has anyone thought of that?

If someone would start a "localdash.com" like "localbitcoins.com" then it could be great.

Only for well-connected areas like Silicon Valley, where people can meet personally. Otherwize you're left with the problem of secure proof of 3rd party fiat transfer. (cough.. OpenBazaar.. cough..)

Only for well-connected areas like Silicon Valley, where people can meet personally. Otherwize you're left with the problem of secure proof of 3rd party fiat transfer. (cough.. OpenBazaar.. cough..)
Oh really? that's how it is now? a year ago i could buy bitcoin from a local person through localbitcoins.com, he only asked to see my ID (but didn't take a copy of it) when i bought around $300 USD so i could buy Darkcoin .. lol

I'm not asking for something immediately and I just want to bring this up to the teams and have some discussion for the future plan. Don't know how we can do the decentralized exchange at all.

I may create semicentralized crypto-to-crypto exchange based on Ripple quite easy. But who will use it?

What will it take for fiat? Has anyone thought of that?

Creating a heavily regulated money transmition company and getting licenses in all states of the US and EU and China and other countries, where it plans to operate. Read - it's suboptimal :)

Back