• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

PROPOSAL: ABJ to Shift From News Updates to Global Market Outreach

amanda_b_johnson

The concept of DASH Detailed was created with one goal: show the cryptosphere what they’ve overlooked in Dash. To achieve this, I created explainers about our system’s technical aspects. I made tutorials on how to interact with our network. And I gave lots of news updates.

I now feel that this particular mission is complete. It is doubtful that anyone within the cryptosphere has not heard of Dash, or is somehow unaware that we have many videos that can teach them everything they need to know.

So, what’s next?

Current Dash users each know their local markets far more intimately than we as a network ever could. Each knows his own culture, his own language, and his own community’s monetary pain points. Fortunately for us, most of our users probably also have their own social media profiles!

So I propose that we mobilize them.

Exit news updates. Enter market outreach.

I’d like to re-purpose my weekly Wednesday videos. Instead of news, I’d instead like to announce a new and fun way my viewers can spread Dash usage – both within their local communities and to their social networks. Simultaneously.

EXAMPLE, Week 1

Campaign = Get a friend who’s never used Dash before to download her first Dash wallet
Reward = $10 in Dash. That’s $5 for you, and $5 for you to send to your friend’s new wallet.
Hashtag = #FirstDashWallet
Required action = Tweet/Facebook/Instagram a picture of you and your friend together, holding up your mobile Dash wallets on your phones. Include the week’s hashtag and your DASH address! (Body of post can be in any language, only the hashtag must be in English)

MORE EXAMPLES:

- Post a Dash private key QR code somewhere in your town/city with instructions on how to download a wallet and claim the Dash, #DashScavengerHunt
- Get a small merchant in your area to accept Dash, #NowAcceptingDash
- Join the PrivateSend mixing party on such-and-such day between the hours of blah-blah and blah-blah, #PrivacyInPayments
- etc.

What To Expect If This Proposal Passes

SOCIAL PRESENCE: I will start ‘Amanda B Johnson’ Facebook and Instagram accounts so that I can interact with viewers in those places (in addition to Twitter). I’ll also change my Twitter handle from @DASHdetailed to @AmandaBJohnson (or similar, depending on availability of handle).

ACCOUNTING & ROLL OVER: I will keep an account of precisely how much Dash I give away for each week’s campaign. If there are any unused incentives, I'll roll them over to the next week. If there are incentives left over after the proposal ends, I'll ask for proportionately less in our next proposal. I’ll also publish these accounts for your review at the end of the proposal cycle.

VIDEO STYLE: I will create a more friendly and casual setting for my weekly videos than what was used for DASH Detailed. The goal will no longer be to look like I’m in a studio of some kind, but rather, that I’m in my house and you’re hanging out with me (because YouTube, amirite?)

VACATION: The last year has shown me that never taking a week off is non-ideal for my mental and physical health. Assuming that you remain interested in employing me over the next year, I’d like to take two weeks off throughout that period. I'll announce the weeks -- separately -- well ahead of time so viewers know what to expect.

Monthly Costs

Labor (campaign creation, video production, hashtag monitoring, social media management, incentives payment/accounting) = $7000
Incentives to be paid to participants ($1500/weekly) = $6000
Proposal reimbursement = ~$438 (5 Dash)

TOTAL = $13,438
or 151 Dash @ ~$89/coin

Closing

Using this weekly campaign approach, I hope to incentivize others to spread Dash usage in a way that I alone cannot. Because I don’t live everywhere in the world, I can’t speak other languages, and I don’t know my viewers’ friends or families. But they do.

By giving our current users both a reason and a reward to share Dash, I seek to mobilize a global, grassroots marketing network.

Last edited:
To vote manually:

gobject vote-many 04248dbe6005318cdfad862bc70688e30162584de003854b031398507dec8dc6 funding yes
or
gobject vote-many 04248dbe6005318cdfad862bc70688e30162584de003854b031398507dec8dc6 funding no

I hope you vote 'yes.' Thanks and let me know if I can answer any questions.

Can you produce an example of what you are proposing? To me you are a video personality / celebrity, not so much a social media personality.

Does this means DASHDetailed is no more? What about DASH Spotlight?
Also, how is video going to be involved in the future?

I am also not sure how getting new users gets 'recorded' or proved. We had new users on our Bitcuners meetup everyday, we give DASH out to 3 new users yesterday but I have no idea, how to prove a 'wallet activation'. Should they just tweet it with the Hashtag?

Love the idea, and love your ambition. The only way we'll be able determine how well it works is to try it. This will have my vote. Thanks for all the work you do to spread Dash awareness.
Concur, and thanks from me too. Take two weeks now and two more in a couple of months, it will make you an even better asset to the Dash network.

I now feel that this particular mission is complete.
I absolutely agree with you.

I came on board because of all those tutorials video you made. Then, at the beginning, Dash Detailed was an easy, quick and practical way of keeping up with what is going on with the network. Now I'm much more involved in the forums and community so I don't need it anymore, although I always watch it coz you always learn something !

I believe Dash Detailed would still be important for Dash investors that have no time to get more involved but want to check if their investment is still going in the right direction. So maybe your 10 min wednesday videos doesn't bring that much people in anymore, but it might actually keep a lot of them in !

Having said that, I absolutely agree that reaching to more people is (more) important and I really would see you doing the job.

So... what about hiring an extra person that would keep doing the Dash Detailed for you every wednesday ? So that you can work on those other projetct ? (If my analysis is wrong about dash investors however being kept in by your videos, I would however think that stopping Dash Detailed would be ok)

Does this means DASHDetailed is no more? What about DASH Spotlight?
Also, how is video going to be involved in the future?

I am also not sure how getting new users gets 'recorded' or proved. We had new users on our Bitcuners meetup everyday, we give DASH out to 3 new users yesterday but I have no idea, how to prove a 'wallet activation'. Should they just tweet it with the Hashtag?

Spotlight is very important for us because we need everything insight.

There are very few updates and interaction between core and the dash community. Yes, a few spurious reports, and we'll hear from them once they've decided something with no open discussion. But Spotlight made dash real, it reminds people there is real work behind the scenes.

No more videos.
The more something is a scam, the more videos and ads it needs.
True and honest things do not need advertising, they spread mouth to mouth.

You need to spend in marketing and advertising if your goal is a quick rich scheme.
If your goal is to built a decent cryptocurrency, then you need to spend in development.

EXAMPLE, Week 1

Campaign = Get a friend who’s never used Dash before to download her first Dash wallet
Reward = $10 in Dash. That’s $5 for you, and $5 for you to send to your friend’s new wallet.
Hashtag = #FirstDashWallet
Required action = Tweet/Facebook/Instagram a picture of you and your friend together, holding up your mobile Dash wallets on your phones. Include the week’s hashtag and your DASH address! (Body of post can be in any language, only the hashtag must be in English)

This is some sort of universal dividend, but it is naive. Besides, it is against anonymity, and it invites to the DASH community people who do not care to protect their digital anonymity.

I think it is better to associate the tip with some sort of social security number. Many countries support digital credentials for their citizents, so we should invite those citizents that can present some kind of digital credential. Because those citizents are digitally literate and they will help Dash community with their presence.

Beware of the stupids, and do not invite them to join.

Last edited:
I agree on the anonymity issue... deanonimization for a anonimizing currency is kind of counter

I like the weekly news and spotlight. I would like to see it continue.
Sorry Amanda, but I don't like this current proposal one bit. I think it will get abused, reduce anonymity and isn't a good use of treasury money.
I think the work you have done and continue to do for Dash is great, I just don't like this idea.

To address the questions coming from those who personally like DASH Detailed and value it as current investors:

I love that you love DASH Detailed. But I personally would like to shift my efforts to attracting completely new people -- rather than continuing to focus on people who have already bought-in.

In terms of news updates for current investors to gauge the direction of their investment (like @bhkien wisely pointed out), I believe DashForceNews or similar can and should fill that void. It is also up to contractors like the Core team to continually communicate their own value to the network, however -- without my assistance.

TL;DR: To achieve currency status, current investors are important. But new investors are even more important.

TL;DR: To achieve currency status, current investors are important. But new investors are even more important.

To achieve currency status, you have to become a currency. And the main property of a currency is the current, the flow.

The digital cash is supposed to be money. It is not supposed to be a collectable item, or an investement. You should spend the digital cash, instead of invest on it. And the rule is "the bad money circumvents the good" because bad money circulates. Dont search for investors, search for circulators.

Last edited:
Also, for those desirous that some news reports continue:

This market outreach can -- when relevant -- feature big news pieces. Such a thing would simply be a weekly campaign. For example:

Campaign: Share this Bloomberg news piece that Overstock.com is now accepting DASH for payment
Hashtag: #OverstockTakesDASH
Reward: $5 for your post/tweet which includes the Bloomberg article and tags 5 other businesses that don't yet take DASH

You get the idea.

I am not sure if your new pre-proposal is reaching out to new investors as much as just normal people.

Getting "normal" people on board isn't much use at this moment, is it? I mean, unless the local shop accepts Dash...

Shouldn't our budget go towards fitting out as many merchants as possible with the means to accept Dash? Then, the people you want to attract will have a good experience.

Trying to reach out to non-tech types too soon could just alienate future users because of the hard to grasp nature of cryptocurrency. Lost private keys, scams, etc.

Every card machine in every shop needs an update/upgrade to display a QR code so people can just walk in to a shop, point their phone at the QR code and they have their stuff.
Then you use the incentives to get people to buy things, 5% off when you pay in Dash or something. Of course Instant send needs to be on by default on a simple "customer" wallet.

Take this on Amanda :D

Back