• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Windows 10 upgrade deleted my coins?

littlejohn

Hi all, I have a Windows machine that have an old Darkcoin Wallet installed in 2014. Microsoft had forced me to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 some time after that.

Recently, I opened the old Darkcoin wallet and it was showing zero balance. The address has also changed - I know because I checked it against the transaction history of a HolyTransaction account I transferred from.

I have tried putting the wallet.dat file to a Dash Core wallet but it did not work.

I believe the old wallet.dat file may have been deleted when my machine was upgraded. Is there a way to recover it?

Try to search your computer for wallet.dat files using Explorer. Then download and install the newest version of Dash Core and use it to open your wallet, it should see any balances you may have had. Note that a different address appearing is expected behaviour, the wallet still holds keys to the previous address and around 1000 other addresses. If your wallet provides you with a receiving address, you can trust that it will have access to it.

https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/...673/How+to+restore+an+old+or+backed+up+wallet

Try to search your computer for wallet.dat files using Explorer. Then download and install the newest version of Dash Core and use it to open your wallet, it should see any balances you may have had. Note that a different address appearing is expected behaviour, the wallet still holds keys to the previous address and around 1000 other addresses. If your wallet provides you with a receiving address, you can trust that it will have access to it.

https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/...673/How+to+restore+an+old+or+backed+up+wallet

I have tried this already ... It is still saying zero... Is there a way to identify private key and then sync?

I have tried this already ... It is still saying zero... Is there a way to identify private key and then sync?
Hi all, I have a Windows machine that have an old Darkcoin Wallet installed in 2014. Microsoft had forced me to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 some time after that.

Recently, I opened the old Darkcoin wallet and it was showing zero balance. The address has also changed - I know because I checked it against the transaction history of a HolyTransaction account I transferred from.

I have tried putting the wallet.dat file to a Dash Core wallet but it did not work.

I believe the old wallet.dat file may have been deleted when my machine was upgraded. Is there a way to recover it?

During the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, Windows makes a folder which is called Windows.old
You could try to search in that folder (its normally on your C disk) to see if you can find your old wallet.dat file in there somewhere.
If that does not help, then try to remember if you made a backup of your wallet.dat on an usb stick somewhere.

Also if you try to migrate from an old wallet, make sure you understand that the foldername has changed from dash to dashcore.
Try searching in the dash folder instead of the dashcore folder for your old wallet.dat and make sure you do an -reindex (mandatory for this kind of migration).

Back