• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Will this Alienware laptop mine well? (Nvidia GeForce GT750M)

Hi all, mining newbie here.

My current VAIO laptop is around 5/6 years old, and based on what little I've come to understand about mining I haven't even bothered trying with it. The hash rate will be awful I'm sure.

BUT thankfully I can finally afford a new one, and I'm going for the Alienware 14.
My knowledge on hardware in regards to how it performs with mining is very minimal, so I'm hoping to see if anyone else has experience with this laptop or similar machines with similar hardware.

Some specs if it helps, I don't even know if it would be better using the cpu or gpu to mine with?

Nvidia GeForce GT750M with 2GB GDDR5

(EDIT*) I may consider upgrading to the GeForce GTX 765M, also with 2GB GDDR5

6GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 1600MHz, possibly upgraded to 8GB.

Intel Core i5-4210M processor (3MB Cache, up to 3.2GHz)

Windows 8.1 (64Bit) - although I may have Windows 7 HP 64Bit instead. I'm not really a fan of 8 tbh.

That's about all I can think could be relevant. I'm very much an armchair miner so to speak :p I haven't even looked at pool mining yet. With a new laptop I'd like to dabble in solo mining for now, if it turns out to be worthwhile.

How does this laptop seem to you guys? I'm not expecting ultra-high end mining but still, what sort of hash rate can I expect, approximately?

The forum looks nice btw, it's nice to see plenty of support for this coin. I'd like to rack up at least 10-20 coins through mining and keep them as a nest egg. I'm not in desperate need of any but hey, I'm not expecting regular fiat currency to last forever :p

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a good idea to mine with a laptop simply because of the heat.

If you choose to solo mine, you might make a block (about 5 coins) in two years give or take. At least with that setup.

As far as your hashrate, no idea. It's a laptop GPU so probably not much.

Back