• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Why Does Kraken Hate Dash?

David

The common assumption is that Dash is not traded on Kraken (or other major exchanges such as Bitfinex) because of our low volume. We do have a historically low trading volume, so I could understand this logic. But that's not why Kraken refuses to list us. Let me demonstrate.

Kraken trades Stellar Lumens, with $76,000 total volume daily
Kraken trades Iconomi, with $191,000 total volume daily
Kraken trades Augur, with $450,000 total volume daily
Kraken DOES NOT TRADE Dash, with $1,100,000 total volume daily

Granted, I'm using the last 24 hours' trade volume as my "total volume daily" measurement, but it should be good enough for my purposes. Dash has a trading volume up to FIFTEEN TIMES GREATER than some of the alts Kraken trades. The decision to incorporate those alts and not Dash is economically irrational, which means there must be something outside of economics at play here.

(Bitfinex is similar, with several low-volume alts but no Dash. They delisted us and then added coins with a fraction of our daily volume.)

*Thanks to Riseman on BCT for getting me thinking about this.

I've used Kraken for Fiat/BTC transfers way before Dash was born and even back then their choice of traded currencies was, ahem, not very rational.

Since I don't assume any bribetaking I guess they have some investments in those currencies.

There was a theory floating around the Monero forums that Dash's Treasury violates a FinCen guidance on Crypto. I read the guidance at the time and it wasnt clear cut. Maybe the legal advice will hopefully clear things up. The whole apple saga is another confusing one.

There was a theory floating around the Monero forums that Dash's Treasury violates a FinCen guidance on Crypto. I read the guidance at the time and it wasnt clear cut. Maybe the legal advice will hopefully clear things up. The whole apple saga is another confusing one.

Could you elaborate? What is Dash's Treasury?

Could you elaborate? What is Dash's Treasury?
The budget system that pays for projects. Some Monero guys argued that a FinCen guidance note meant new crypto could only be mined for providing proof of work. Its probably all FUD.

There is also speculation that the MN layer could be causing problems for some exchanges and or apple.

Thats why the legal advice will be important in answering at least the latter issue. I think its due soon.

I thought that the Coinfirm deal was supposed to open up more gateways such as Kraken. I was assuming that the was one of the reason for going ahead with the "partnership". I would hope that core knows the reasons and would open up to the community about it

I thought that the Coinfirm deal was supposed to open up more gateways such as Kraken. I was assuming that the was one of the reason for going ahead with the "partnership". I would hope that core knows the reasons and would open up to the community about it

I thought core's policy was to say nothing unless it suits their agenda

I think the idea is that Coinfirm will help when it comes to possible integrations, but I don't think it was ever intended to be the "silver bullet" and do the job all by itself. A combination of factors is probably going to be required to move institutions; hopefully the legal opinion will help significantly once it's released.

Back