• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

What Happens to Your Cryptocurrency If You Get Hit By a Bus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Mason

What Happens to Your Cryptocurrency If You Get Hit By a Bus?

Hit-by-bus-Small-gif.gif

In a previous article, I shared some guidance on how to introduce new people to Dash and other cryptocurrencies: “Introducing FOMO Friends and Family to Cryptocurrencies“. Within that article, we touched upon end-of-life matters. In this article, we expand that topic and give it a bit more consideration.

Answer this question: What happens to your cryptocurrency hodlings if you get hit by a bus?

Read more: https://www.dashforcenews.com/happens-cryptocurrency-get-hit-bus/

I have thought about this but it's pretty morbid. I would buy any hardware wallet that incorporated some form of switch. Maybe one that watches all your email accounts and if they all go dark. Spitballing.

I have 3 safety deposit boxes at 3 different banks.
They each have a 1in binder with step by step instructions and contacts for 6 people I have know in crypto for about 8 years now.
Also they each hold 1 third of my account seeds and 1 third of the private keys for some of my address that don’t have a seed.
Also 1 box has an encrypted thumb drive with 2fa recovery codes and other items. It’s password is broken between the other 2 boxes.
My spouse is to get access to these boxes once they provide a copy of my death certificate. They are prepaid for 20 years. I also go by and check on them once a quarter. Just so they can’t say they are abandoned.

The bigger problem is a conflict of interest; how to reject state and foe while passing the baton to your family and loved ones.

Writing down passwords etc can open up a whole can of worms; not least a husband or wife running off with the money. Or, for example, that laws of intestate may will freeze the movement of someone's estate until it has been disclosed to the tax man. In the UK, for example, that threshold is a mere £5000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back