Welcome to the Dash Forum!

Please sign up to discuss the most innovative cryptocurrency!

What do you like about travelling Solo?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by terryd, Jan 30, 2019.

1. terryd

terryd New Member

I've just been asked (again) when I'm going on my trips.

Well the answer is that I haven't been on many yet. Because I travel solo I can change my plans whenever I like. Depending on when I feel like going or if an offer turns up I have my trips planned around my interests, maps, places to eat, transport and if I'm busy at home with interesting things I put them off for quieter times.

I get up for breakfast when I feel like it, change the venue if I want and eat when I want or if I come across somewhere that looks great.

It sounds selfish now I write it out but if fact it's so simple and easy compered to catering for someone else who may have very different ideas and wants to stick to a timetable. Or a company that decides where I should go when and how long I should stay for.

So what are your best bits?

2. TorryLo

TorryLo New Member

I`ve travelled solo since 2000 and I love the challenge of it, relying only on myself to sort out little problems that happen along the journey, and being able to cater to my interests, which can be a bit strange and diverse. I can choose my own itinerary, type of accommodation, when and where to stop for a few days, make little side-trips or detours, jump on and off trains on a whim. I would have missed lots of little adventures if I had to sit and discuss and persuade another person to just get off at this station (by the time the negotiation was over the train would have started again and I would be sitting there annoyed and frustrated).
    I also secretly love sitting on buses or trains and listing to other people's conversations and staring out the window watching the scenery and thinking my own thoughts. I`m not disturbed by any travel partner droning on about things back home etc. I`m in my own little universe.
    I find being on my own I can blend in more (by not opening my mouth and having everyone recognise my Australian accent). I wander around Markets in small French towns and try out a few French phrases, so I can fool myself into believing I`m just another local buying my fruit and bread. I`m not part of a twosome loudly talking in English, or part of a big tour group descending enmasse on the small town for 1 hour then jumping back on the tour bus and heading to the next tourist attraction. I planning backpacking trip starting from Paris as follows:
    Paris: 2 days
    Switzerland(Interlaken, Lucerne): 4 days
    Italy(Venice, Rome): 6 days
    Greece(Santorini): 3 days
    When would weather be the best? I like clear weather but not very hot and sweaty. And also lesser crowd. Please advise on what will be a better time to go out of the below dates:
    March 29, 2019 to April 13, 2019
    June 14, 2019 to June 28, 2019
    June 22, 2019 to July 5, 2019
    Are there any times when places will be shut down in any of these cities?
    I want to use Excursions in Greece. Has anyone used this service before?

#2 TorryLo, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. Arenys

Arenys New Member

I travelled solo last year for the first time, before that I always was with a friend or was on my way to someone.
    Advantages: my schedule is independent, I adapt it to my mood and do what is best for me: I mean, I don't enjoy much museums, so instead of being dragged through the halls of all the museum in the city, I spend my time exploring the neighborhood, meeting people and so on. I test my skills of independent traveler and lesser my fears of unknown. I think I matured a bit thanks to that :)
    Disadvantages: sometimes I felt lonely. BUT I am an independent person anyway, so whether I spend time on my own in my own city, 'cause I prefer studying/reading/drawing rather than chating, or I do that in a new place, the idea is the same.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bramQ

bramQ New Member

I have never travelled this way yet, but I really want to, because it expands mind a little and some things become more understandable alone and without any opinion.

5. MachineGuy65

MachineGuy65 New Member

Not spending money on your SO. Feels great. I mean,really great. And doing thing you actually wants.

6. myrabrunson

myrabrunson New Member

Obviously, I prefer with my friends AND family.

7. valery

valery New Member

I put "Solo travelling" in my bucket list, things to do before I turn 35. I actually think that it’s a unique thing. You become much more self-confident and self-reliant. Maybe it sounds selfish but you can plan trips around your interests or change your mind about transport, restaurant and places you visit whenever you like.

8. DeerPencil

DeerPencil New Member

I love traveling alone! I've spent time solo in Pakistan.what i liked in Solo traveling is :
    1. I get to do whatever i want whenever i want.
    2. I am much more open to meeting new people and building new relationships.
    3. It feels like i have a lot more time. The days genuinely feel longer so it seems like i do a lot more during holiday.
    4. I spend very little time in my room so i also make the most of my destination.
    5. Solo traveling removes excuses about waiting to travel because nobody can go with you or so and so wants to wait until next year, etc

9. Demirn1

Demirn1 New Member

I have never traveled alone, and this makes me a little uneasy. I’m too insecure and afraid that I can’t cope with something. Therefore, for me the option of a single trip is not suitable.

10. rosita

rosita Member

To all people who replied that they haven`t traveled Solo yet, I advise you rather to do it!

11. Brandians

Brandians New Member

if we travel with friends or family, its save and secure .Solo travelling is little bit risky.but both traveling have different taste ..