• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

wallet.dat file sizes between Dark and Dash

Taztoo

Hi guys,

I wondered whether you gurus could help me understand the wallet.dat file sizes. Here's my situation:

I have an old Darkcoin wallet.dat file from 2014 - filesize: 52kb (encrypted and includes coins and transactions).

When I launch the newer DashCore wallet software it obviously generates a new wallet.dat file - filesize: 440kbs. If I then encrypt the newly generated .dat this updates the file size to: 656kbs. These sizes are for a brand new wallet without any transactions or coin storage.

Could someone explain to me why there is such a sizing difference between the Darkcoin Wallet.dat file size and the Dashcore Wallet .dat file size?

Dashcore reads the old 52kb wallet and I can see transactions and the coins stored within the wallet. Unfortunately still after several months the wallet will not unlock with the correct password. I'm wondering if the wallet file is corrupted given the small file size and hasn't stored the encryption correctly?

I even tried backing up the wallet through the new Dashcore software to see if the file size went up but it still remained at 52kbs which is substantially smaller than when Dashcore creates the wallet from scratch.

I saw there was tool for "updating the wallet format" but this seems to do nothing at all.

I am interested in the technicalities surrounding such an obvious difference in data responsible for the greater .dat file size on the newer software.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Darkcoin wallet have 100 keys and new Dash wallet is holding 1000 keys.

Back