V12 Release

AjM

Foundation Member
Jun 23, 2014
Finland
UdjinM6 crowning
Hi!
Just noticed this, all my masternodes have a quite big debug.logs.
Time scale 4 days and debug.logs are about 165 Mb size.
Logs are mostly filled with this: 2016-01-23 02:50:07 CBudgetVote::SignatureValid() - Unknown Masternode
I can provide debug.log if needed.
UdjinM6 flare

This 'log' problem is still valid after 0.12.0.56 update.
In 4 hours log size is grown to 11 Mb.
Same 2016-01-23 17:14:23 CFinalizedBudgetVote::SignatureValid() - Unknown Masternode fills it.

Reactions: MangledBlue

Druid

Jan 19, 2016
Hi guys! I'm a new member.

My wallet version is v0.12.0.55-c30a0aa (64-bit), how may I update to this new version above? I couldn't find the update button in my Dash Core Wallet.

Thanks!

MangledBlue

Jun 28, 2014
USA
Hi guys! I'm a new member.

My wallet version is v0.12.0.55-c30a0aa (64-bit), how may I update to this new version above? I couldn't find the update button in my Dash Core Wallet.

Thanks!
There is no update button
You have to download V56 from dash.org/downloads

Reactions: Druid

AjM

Foundation Member
Jun 23, 2014
Finland
Cool, thanks.
Sorry, i didn't bring this earlier, but there is 4 different Unknown Masternode log entry,
can you also check those 3 other, i think all 4 are filling up about equal amount in the log.

2016-01-23 13:59:04 CMasternodePaymentWinner::IsValid - Unknown Masternode xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2016-01-23 13:59:04 mnw - invalid message - Unknown Masternode xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2016-01-23 14:16:10 CBudgetVote::SignatureValid() - Unknown Masternode - CTxIn(COutPoint(xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, 1), scriptSig=)
2016-01-23 14:16:12 CFinalizedBudgetVote::SignatureValid() - Unknown Masternode

Edit: After 4 hours log size is ~11 Mb, and after 8 hours it is ~15 Mb.

Last edited by a moderator:

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Core Developer
Dash Core Team
May 20, 2014
Cool, thanks.
Sorry, i didn't bring this earlier, but there is 4 different Unknown Masternode log entry,
can you also check those 3 other, i think all 4 are filling up about equal amount in the log.

2016-01-23 13:59:04 CMasternodePaymentWinner::IsValid - Unknown Masternode xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2016-01-23 13:59:04 mnw - invalid message - Unknown Masternode xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2016-01-23 14:16:10 CBudgetVote::SignatureValid() - Unknown Masternode - CTxIn(COutPoint(xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, 1), scriptSig=)
2016-01-23 14:16:12 CFinalizedBudgetVote::SignatureValid() - Unknown Masternode

Edit: After 4 hours log size is ~11 Mb, and after 8 hours it is ~15 Mb.
First 2 should go away quite fast, last 2 are there for a much longer time since MN is down and both (3 and 4) are in this PR.

AjM

Foundation Member
Jun 23, 2014
Finland
First 2 should go away quite fast, last 2 are there for a much longer time since MN is down and both (3 and 4) are in this PR.
OK, now 18 hours after update/start, log size is 35 Mb.
So log grow about 2 Mb per hour.

AjM

Foundation Member
Jun 23, 2014
Finland
UdjinM6

Does this cure log bloat if i put this to commandline: -debug=alert

Code:
Debugging/Testing options:
  -debug=<category>      Output debugging information (default: 0, supplying <category> is optional)
                         If <category> is not supplied, output all debugging information.
                         <category> can be:
                           addrman, alert, bench, coindb, db, lock, rand, rpc, selectcoins, mempool, net,
                           dash (or specifically: darksend, instantx, masternode, keepass, mnpayments, mnbudget), qt.

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Core Developer
Dash Core Team
May 20, 2014
UdjinM6

Does this cure log bloat if i put this to commandline: -debug=alert

Code:
Debugging/Testing options:
  -debug=<category>      Output debugging information (default: 0, supplying <category> is optional)
                         If <category> is not supplied, output all debugging information.
                         <category> can be:
                           addrman, alert, bench, coindb, db, lock, rand, rpc, selectcoins, mempool, net,
                           dash (or specifically: darksend, instantx, masternode, keepass, mnpayments, mnbudget), qt.
Nope, these options are used to extend log output, not to suppress it

yidakee

Foundation Member
Apr 16, 2014
Little bug that's been bugging me lately.

Using coin control, I sometimes make a payment amount so that it clears my dust. Sometime it works, more often it doesn't. I select whatever value plus the decimal values, but I end up with micro dust.

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Core Developer
Dash Core Team
May 20, 2014
Little bug that's been bugging me lately.

Using coin control, I sometimes make a payment amount so that it clears my dust. Sometime it works, more often it doesn't. I select whatever value plus the decimal values, but I end up with micro dust.

I believe there was no dust output - you can check your tx in blockchain explorer to make sure. I think it's just the actual size of the tx - it was slightly lower and wallet payed a smaller fee (note "~" next to Bytes and as a result next to Fee, After Fee and Change).

yidakee

Foundation Member
Apr 16, 2014
I believe there was no dust output - you can check your tx in blockchain explorer to make sure. I think it's just the actual size of the tx - it was slightly lower and wallet payed a smaller fee (note "~" next to Bytes and as a result next to Fee, After Fee and Change).
I've always wondered about the "~" .. I thought one of the premisses of the blockchain was to be able to be extremely precise in calculations, not a really really high percentage of accuracy.

Tried forcing the tx fee to the minimum (selecting the tick) - but it did not respect it. Let me try again just to be double sure I did it right;

EDIT: hmmm, yup, I think something may be up here.

Last edited by a moderator:

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Core Developer
Dash Core Team
May 20, 2014
UdjinM6 let me know if I am missing something
?
I'm not sure what you mean...
If you are curious why tx fee is 6700 duffs and not 6670 duffs as you would expect it from size calculations then that's is just how it works:
1. calculate tx size
2. calculate fee based on that size and add fee to tx (note: size could change here)
3. verify if it's still ok for this size and fee, if it's not - go to #1
So at the end it could be not exactly "fee/size = fee per kb" but still "~" instead.
If you were trying to calculate new fee/size that match fee per kb exactly you could end up in an endless loop.

yidakee

Foundation Member
Apr 16, 2014
?
I'm not sure what you mean...
If you are curious why tx fee is 6700 duffs and not 6670 duffs as you would expect it from size calculations then that's is just how it works:
1. calculate tx size
2. calculate fee based on that size and add fee to tx (note: size could change here)
3. verify if it's still ok for this size and fee, if it's not - go to #1
So at the end it could be not exactly "fee/size = fee per kb" but still "~" instead.
If you were trying to calculate new fee/size that match fee per kb exactly you could end up in an endless loop.
Its the end of a long work week, so though this makes perfect sense, and I will review the math later.

My end-user question is the following;

I tick "pay minimum fee" of 0.00001 Dash. The tooltip says

Paying the minimum fee is just fine as long as there is less transaction volume than space in the blocks.
But be aware that this can end up in a never confirming transaction once there is more demand for the Dash transaction than the network can process
But since such is not the case, given our blocks are far from full, why was I charged extra than the stipulated 0.00001 Dash?

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Core Developer
Dash Core Team
May 20, 2014
Its the end of a long work week, so though this makes perfect sense, and I will review the math later.

My end-user question is the following;

I tick "pay minimum fee" of 0.00001 Dash. The tooltip says

But since such is not the case, given our blocks are far from full, why was I charged extra than the stipulated 0.00001 Dash?

Hmmm...
The fee is 0.00010000 per kb (that's what it is in code and that is what checkbox says as far as I see, not 0.00001000 as you put above).
The size is ~0.67 kb and you payed ~0.67 * 0.00010000 = ~0.00006700 and it looks all good for me.

yidakee

Foundation Member
Apr 16, 2014
UdjinM6 Was completely blind to the /kb :oops:

So the checkbox above "total at least" - will also not guarantee the exact amount for a fee? I'm trying to figure out how either fixate a tx fee, or be able to determine before hand.

If I always use the same custom return address, would this help?

I'm thinking about nano-payments and how to account/predict the tx fee

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Core Developer
Dash Core Team
May 20, 2014
UdjinM6 Was completely blind to the /kb :oops:

So the checkbox above "total at least" - will also not guarantee the exact amount for a fee? I'm trying to figure out how either fixate a tx fee, or be able to determine before hand.

If I always use the same custom return address, would this help?

I'm thinking about nano-payments and how to account/predict the tx fee
The "cost" for the blockchain is the actual size of the transaction - the larger your tx the greater the "cost" (the fee). To account/predict tx fee you need to calculate the size of the raw tx. You can try to get into blockchain for free (there is a small cap for it) but keep in mind that there is no incentive for miners to include such txes so it might never be included in blocks at all.