V12 Release

MangledBlue

Jun 28, 2014
USA
All budgets have officially passed! No more voting is needed at this point.
(unless you're voting just because you want to try it... in that case, go for it)

Curious questions of course - Could we in theory now DOWN-VOTE the measures - and kill them???

splawik21

Yeah, it's me....
Dash Core Group
Foundation Member
Dash Support Group
Apr 8, 2014
sorry for my ignorance...
but...
when do i use these commands?
till now i just upgraded with :
Dash-cli stop to stop
and
Dashd to start

:what:
These are used when you start from local cold wallet.
If you have more than 1 they are usefull if not you always start-many if the node goes down or is not simply seen in the network.

MangledBlue

Jun 28, 2014
USA
sorry for my ignorance...
but...
when do i use these commands?
till now i just upgraded with :
Dash-cli stop to stop
and
Dashd to start

:what:
I too have questions :-D

start-all == start-many (start-many is also here for backward compatibilty)
- - Use this to start your MasterNode if your masternode.conf is being used to store one or more MasterNode(s) PrivKey info

start-missing == start masternodes that can't be found in mn list
- - Use this - humm - like it says ->>>>> start masternodes that can't be found in mn list <<<<<
- - - - Ugh - which list??? the list of MasterNodes in the masternode.conf file OR the quasi-offical MasterNode list that my wallet can find online??

start-disabled == same as start-missing + start masternodes that are not in ENABLED status
- I think I got this one if you explain the previous one :-D

edit: how does mnsync reset - then play into it - hummmm

splawik21

Yeah, it's me....
Dash Core Group
Foundation Member
Dash Support Group
Apr 8, 2014
Thanks Splawik...

can you please elaborate when i will be using
'masternode start-disabled' instead of 'masternode start'?
is this a matter of losing my turn in the payment queue ?
As far as I understand it it these commands are very usefull for multiple MNs owners.
Lets say you have 10 MNs and some of these are down and are not seen in the network so you`ll use start-disabled insted of start-many because if you do start-many your active nodes will go to the end of queue in the payments.

Don`t usnderstand well the difference between missing and disabled when using which.... :)

TanteStefana

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Working great so far. Whereas before it could take a restarted remote masternode up to 5 minutes to see that it started successfully, we're back to instantaneous confirmation. Thanks!

Can you explain what these are though?

revert c5d6b reduced mnw bandwidth
finbudget old vote check removed

akhavr

Oct 11, 2014
Yesterday one of .50 masternodes failed w/o any sign and leftover:

2015-08-29 19:01:13 dseg - Sent 1 Masternode entries to 77.174.137.111:64164
2015-08-29 19:01:16 dseg - Sent 1 Masternode entries to 77.174.137.111:64164
2015-08-29 19:01:19 dseg - Sent 1 Masternode entries to 77.174.137.111:64164
2015-08-29 19:01:21 dseg - Sent 1 Masternode entries to 77.174.137.111:64164
2015-08-29 19:01:22 receive version message: /darkcoinseeder:0.1.2/: version 70103, blocks=320000, us=78.46.234.241:9999, peer=60
2015-08-29 19:01:31 dseg - Sent 2849 Masternode entries to 77.174.137.111:64164
Upgrading to .51

fuzzyduck

Feb 19, 2015
@Mangled Blue and other PI2 users:

I wrote a simple stupid newby script to download && compile && run a new version of dashd. Its a fire and forget script. Run it and walk away.
After .46 .47 .48 .49 .50 i was getting lazy of typing the lot over and over :tongue:
Option 1 in the script works but you have to keep the terminal screen open.
Option 2 im working on. I have to push the function into a 'screen' command, DUnno how yet. Maybe i have to split this script in 2 files.

PS1. It worked without swap on.
PS2. I run this from my home dir where i keep and run dashd and dash-cli. So its written as such

#!/bin/bash

# simple masternode updater to newest version
# Prerequisites: screen, git

function fullupdate(){
echo -e "\n"
echo "**********************************"
echo "removing old dash github directory"
echo "**********************************"
echo -e "\n"

rm -rf dash
sleep 1

echo -e "\n"
echo "******************************************"
echo "Getting new dash github version to compile"
echo "******************************************"
echo -e "\n"

git clone https://github.com/dashpay/dash.git
sleep 5

echo -e "\n"
echo "****************************"
echo "configuring new build step 1"
echo -e "\n"

cd dash
./autogen.sh
sleep 1

echo -e "\n"
echo "configuring new build step 2"
echo -e "\n"

./configure --with-incompatible-bdb --disable-tests --without-gui
sleep 1

echo -e "\n"
echo "***************"
echo "start compiling"
echo "***************"
echo -e "\n"

make

echo -e "\n"
echo "*******************************"
echo "stop & backup the running dashd"
echo "*******************************"
echo -e "\n"

cd ..
./dash-cli stop
sleep 10
cp -n dashd dashdBACKUP
rm dashd
cp -n ./dash/src/dashd .
cp -n ./dash/src/dash-cli .

echo -e "\n"
echo "*********************"
echo "starting new version!"
echo "*********************"
echo -e "\n"

clear
./dashd -shrinkdebugfile

echo -e "\n"
echo "********************************************************************"
echo "DONE! remember to check if you need to start it from the hot wallet!"
echo "********************************************************************"
echo -e "\n"
}

clear

echo -e "\n"
echo "*****************************************************************************************************************"
echo -e "\n"
echo 'please choose on of the following options:'
echo -e "\n"
echo "1: keep this terminal open during the update (Note: closing this terminal will stop the full process of updating!)"
echo "2: Do the update in the backgroud using the 'screen' command (After this you can close this terminal)"
echo "3: exit"
echo -e "\n"
echo "*****************************************************************************************************************"
echo -e "\n"
echo "Your choice:"

read n

case $n in
1) fullupdate;;

2) echo "not working yet";;

3) exit;;

*) exit;;
esac

Last edited by a moderator:

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
I got to try the "start-missing" command today.

(My updated from .49 to .51 resulted in a --reindex that I did not specify on the command line, apparently a default behavior now? This delayed long enough for nodes to delist.)

But, it didn't work as advertised. 2 nodes remained active and the sigtimes were reset along with the rest. The command reported all nodes were restarted even though 2 were still active.

flare

Grizzled Member
May 18, 2014
Germany

(My updated from .49 to .51 resulted in a --reindex that I did not specify on the command line, apparently a default behavior now? This delayed long enough for nodes to delist.)

But, it didn't work as advertised. 2 nodes remained active and the sigtimes were reset along with the rest. The command reported all nodes were restarted even though 2 were still active.
Thanks for reporting, added to bugtracker --> https://github.com/dashpay/dash/issues/588

donho

Masternode Owner/Operator
Apr 16, 2014
my node hasn't been payed since 8 days now with v12. Anyone else having the same problem?

Reactions: buster

nmarley

Administrator
Core Developer
Dash Core Group
Jun 28, 2014
my node hasn't been payed since 8 days now with v12. Anyone else having the same problem?
I had one of mine just get payed, just now, after 5 days+, but... the others were started before this one. All continuously running, no interruptions.

Really wondering if enforcement is turned off or what... shouldn't they be in order?

B

buster

I had one of mine just get payed, just now, after 5 days+, but... the others were started before this one. All continuously running, no interruptions.

Really wondering if enforcement is turned off or what... shouldn't they be in order?
It's been 8+ days for me. Got 1 right when I first update to v12. None since. Was going to give it about a month before I become concerned. Will continue to wait and see. Not really worried as of yet.

Reactions: fulltimegeek

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
sigtimes keep getting reset, because the wrong command is used, or because the commands don't work as they should, or because nodes went offline and their queue got reset by appropriately reset sigtimes...

I haven't had a payment since v12 hit. Don't expect one until sigtimes stop being reset for one reason or another... The only people getting paid are those close enough tot he front of the line that they get a payment before the next protocol bump comes out... That person is not me. It's probably not a lot of people.

Until approx 5 days pass without an update that pushes nodes offline, people who don't know how it works are going to make "I'm not getting paid, dash are teh brokenz, abandon ship" reports. Try not to take too much advice from those people in the future, and buy moar dash while they make it cheap...

fible1

Dash Core Group
May 11, 2014
I had this problem but all my nodes got paid this morning after around 6 days of stable running but after up to 16 days of protocol bumps and restarts and what not.

Hope that helps,
Pablo.

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Core Developer
Dash Core Group
May 20, 2014

That's weird. Basicaly how that command works is:
Code:
- hey, do I have this MN in my list?
  - yep, skip it
  - nope, act as usual start-many
Are you sure your wallet was synced when you issued this command?

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
I've been prioritizing updates over playing the game for the most profit. Because I'm a greedy, evil, republican masnternode operator that invented gravity to keep a brotha down...

Reactions: buster

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
That's weird. Basicaly how that command works is:
Code:
- hey, do I have this MN in my list?
  - yep, skip it
  - nope, act as usual start-many
Are you sure your wallet was synced when you issued this command?
Yup. Had the big wallet up and synced before I even touched the nodes. They all pulled a reindex without being told to do so, so it was a long time. Long enough for most of them to get delisted. Big wallet was syncned waayyy before. That's what created the need to run that command in the first place. Only 2 were left standing. But all were reset as if none...

I'm no expert programmer, but that's a pretty simple bit. I can't see why it would happen, either... It just did...

I've made goofs where I was parsing a list for comparison and read it in incorrectly, so the strings were all goofed and nothing ever matched. Since this is a false-negative situation, it might be something like that... If the data is goofed, the logic can be perfect and it won't work...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: UdjinM6

Solarminer

Apr 4, 2015
I had the win64 .51 version wallet crash on me with Windows 8. Looks like the same time as the screen went to sleep(not hibernate, just screen blanking). This was also during a darksend mix. Is this a bug?

Debug file here:
2015-08-31 00:21:03 Added time data, samples 23, offset +3 (+0 minutes)
2015-08-31 00:21:03 nTimeOffset = +1 (+0 minutes)
2015-08-31 00:21:03 Last Darksend message: Mixing in progress...
GUI: setGeometry: Unable to set geometry 5x13+596+300 on QWidgetWindow/'QLabelClassWindow'. Resulting geometry: 124x13+596+300 (frame: 8, 31, 8, 8, custom margin: 0, 0, 0, 0, minimum size: 0x0, maximum size: 16777215x16777215).
2015-08-31 00:59:20 AppInit2 : parameter interaction: -listen=0 -> setting -discover=0
2015-08-31 00:59:20 GUI: "registerShutdownBlockReason: Successfully registered: Dash Core didn't yet exit safely..."

Solarminer

Apr 4, 2015
Do we have a yet unannounced feature in .51 or maybe V12?
When starting to darksend mix a box popped up that said something like sort by "most common" to filter out darksend transactions.
So what does "most common" mean?
It looks like everything except fees and darksend mixing transactions...Maybe a better term would be "standard" or "sent and received". Cool to see new options coming up.

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
Do we have a yet unannounced feature in .51 or maybe V12?
When starting to darksend mix a box popped up that said something like sort by "most common" to filter out darksend transactions.
So what does "most common" mean?
It looks like everything except fees and darksend mixing transactions...Maybe a better term would be "standard" or "sent and received". Cool to see new options coming up.
Here's a Masternode wallet (Testnet but Mainnet should be the same) that shows the most "common" transactions which are MN earnings. This was done due to the requests of many people over the course of testing the wallet. So I'm guessing "most common" is for the type of most transactions on your wallet:

upload_2015-8-30_22-36-20.png

Bridgewater

Foundation Member
Dec 14, 2014
That sounds useful? Could you explain what situations it can be used for?
Say you have five masternodes that you control with one single cold wallet masternode.conf. Two of the five MNs had problems and were delisted, but the other three are still active and are in line to get paid. After verifying everything's okay with the hot servers of those two MN, their daemons say "no suitable coins" when you type masternode debug, which means a cold-start is needed to get those two MN back online.

The easiest way to cold start those two MN is to issue a "start-many" from the cold wallet, but I believe doing so will also cold start the other three online masternodes and move them to the back of the payment line along with your two offline ones.

Previously, if you wanted to make sure not to mess with your operational MN's place in line for payment, you needed to issue a "start-alias MN03", and a "start-alias MN05" (if those were the two offline nodes from your masternode.conf). This new command does the work of finding out which MN from your list are offline and cold starts ONLY those ones, so your other MNs' place in the payment line is preserved. At least that's how I used it. It's just easier management, even if you only have two masternodes in your list.

fible1

Dash Core Group
May 11, 2014
Say you have five masternodes that you control with one single cold wallet masternode.conf.
Do you have a link on how to run a cold node with just the masternode.conf? I couldn't find it. As I understand it you set up a wallet with no private keys on any computer (even an infected computer) and just run masternode restart based on the .conf file?

I know it's a sideline but would defintiely appreciate the link :).

Pablo.

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
This new command does the work of finding out which MN from your list are offline and cold starts ONLY those ones, so your other MNs' place in the payment line is preserved.
At least that's how it's supposed to work. My experience is that all nodes were reported started, and those that were active were resigned to the back of the line. Same as if I had used start-many. I'm going to keep using start alias explicitly....