• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Understanding the Budget Approval Process (and a possible bug)

ericsammons

Masternode Owner/Operator
Currently, there seems to be a discrepancy between what proposals should be approved and which ones actually are approved. If you look at a screenshot of the current voting (from http://ericsammons.com/dash-budget/), you find this:

votingFeb03.png

If you look closely, both the Anarcapulco and Wifi-Portal projects are marked "Not approved." And this is what the command "dash-cli mnbudget projection" confirms as well. But, at least as I understand the process, they SHOULD be funded - they have enough votes (over 10%) and there is room in the budget currently (with these two the budget would still only be 7344.96 Dash).

What am I missing? Is there some other reason they are not currently listed as approved?

Thanks for any help.

TheDashGuy - if you look at my chart, all in green are currently projected to be funded. The only questions are the Anarcapulco and Wifi-Portal projects.

Currently, there seems to be a discrepancy between what proposals should be approved and which ones actually are approved. If you look at a screenshot of the current voting (from http://ericsammons.com/dash-budget/), you find this:

votingFeb03.png

If you look closely, both the Anarcapulco and Wifi-Portal projects are marked "Not approved." And this is what the command "dash-cli mnbudget projection" confirms as well. But, at least as I understand the process, they SHOULD be funded - they have enough votes (over 10%) and there is room in the budget currently (with these two the budget would still only be 7344.96 Dash).

What am I missing? Is there some other reason they are not currently listed as approved?

Thanks for any help.

I was wondering that myself. Logged into a masternode and the network agrees that those red entries won't be paid. I wonder why?

On your chart, everything. everything above and including Liquidity will be funded.

Not a bug. I think this is an intentional buffer for new proposals. I think the idea is that you want at least 24 hours to see a proposal before it can be paid. I remember Evan saying this, but never knew how it was enforced.

wifi-portal just popped in after 24 hours. Juan's proposal should drop in in a few hours too. We normally don't get yes votes so fast....and of course we haven't had the cool site to show how this happens.

Great site Eric.

Not a bug. I think this is an intentional buffer for new proposals. I think the idea is that you want at least 24 hours to see a proposal before it can be paid. I remember Evan saying this, but never knew how it was enforced.

wifi-portal just popped in after 24 hours. Juan's proposal should drop in in a few hours too. We normally don't get yes votes so fast....and of course we haven't had the cool site to show how this happens.

Great site Eric.

Once we get the process for the buffer explained, I'll put a note on the site to note that.

Great site Eric.

I say we start using the #CryptoDemocracy hashtag to show off these cool concepts in a simple manner.

History is being made here folks.

Dashwhale.org says that: Next budget payments will occur 1 day and will provide 7345 DASH of 8022 DASH total available budget!
(05-02-2016 23:31, block 415400)

But this doc says that: Budget cycle block height and approximate dates
...398784 - Tue Jan 5 04:47:12 UTC 2016
415400 - Wed Feb 3 01:07:12 UTC 2016
432016 - Wed Mar 2 21:27:12 UTC 2016...

Is there some error?

Dashwhale.org says that: Next budget payments will occur 1 day and will provide 7345 DASH of 8022 DASH total available budget!
(05-02-2016 23:31, block 415400)

But this doc says that: Budget cycle block height and approximate dates
...398784 - Tue Jan 5 04:47:12 UTC 2016
415400 - Wed Feb 3 01:07:12 UTC 2016
432016 - Wed Mar 2 21:27:12 UTC 2016...

Is there some error?

The payout is determined by the block #, not the date. The date given in that doc is just an estimate of when that block will occur. If you notice, both list the same block #: 415400.

The payout is determined by the block #, not the date. The date given in that doc is just an estimate of when that block will occur. If you notice, both list the same block #: 415400.

So was yesterday the last "day" and the extra funds are burnt now?

So was yesterday the last "day" and the extra funds are burnt now?
No, the day doesn't matter - all that matters is the block #. When that block is created is when the payout will happen. It is currently scheduled for tonight. The Feb 3 date was just an approximate estimate made a few months ago.

The reason the date is estimated is because no one knows exactly the time between future blocks. On average it should be every 2.5 minutes, but in reality is might be a little more or less. So if you are predicting when a block 10 in the future will be, you'll be pretty accurate. But if you are predicting blocks 1,000 or 10,000 or more in the future, your estimate might be off by a factor of days.

No, the day doesn't matter - all that matters is the block #. When that block is created is when the payout will happen. It is currently scheduled for tonight. The Feb 3 date was just an approximate estimate made a few months ago.

The reason the date is estimated is because no one knows exactly the time between future blocks. On average it should be every 2.5 minutes, but in reality is might be a little more or less. So if you are predicting when a block 10 in the future will be, you'll be pretty accurate. But if you are predicting blocks 1,000 or 10,000 or more in the future, your estimate might be off by a factor of days.

You are an invaluable resource Eric! Please don;t ever leave us! No matter how dramatic we may act sometimes haha.

Back