• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Unable to start 12.1 Wallet

Krustee

Hi all,

I have downloaded the new 12.1 wallet but when trying to start the app I get the below error.

I have the app installed to C:\Program Files\DashCore
but the mncache.dat file resides on another drive in E:\Dash where other folders including the Backups, blocks, chainstate, database folders exist.

It was working okay with the previous 12.0 release and I can restart the 12.0 client and see my Dash albeit after re-synching the chain.

upload_2017-2-8_17-34-59.png

edit: I have followed these instructions as well.

https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Updating+to+12.1+-+Users

Any advice on how I can resolve the error?

cheers

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have downloaded the new 12.1 wallet but when trying to start the app I get the below error.

I have the app installed to C:\Program Files\DashCore
but the mncache.dat file resides on another drive in E:\Dash where other folders including the Backups, blocks, chainstate, database folders exist.

It was working okay with the previous 12.0 release and I can restart the 12.0 client and see my Dash albeit after re-synching the chain.

View attachment 2960

edit: I have followed these instructions as well.

https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/display/DOC/Updating+to+12.1+-+Users

Any advice on how I can resolve the error?

cheers

Delete mncache.dat, things where changed in it and it will rebuild it with the changes it's self. Should go on the reindexing after that, big job and it could take a few hours for it to get fully up to date.

hi stan.distortion, I tried that as well and it still comes up with the same error. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the new client as well.

edit: there was another copy in the old Dash folder so I renamed that and it has now started up okay and starting to sync. cheers

hi stan.distortion, I tried that as well and it still comes up with the same error. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the new client as well.
Had you tried deleting all the *.dat files (except wallet.dat ofc)? They're all safe to remove and it will cross them off the list but if mncache.dat wasn't the issue it may be something else entirely.

following the instructions I created a copy of the Dash folder and renamed it as DashCore however this is on a separate drive and not in the C Drive %appData% folder. I renamed the mncache.dat in the old Dash folder and re-started the client okay this time. Sounds like it is still referencing the old Dash folder and not the new DashCore folder I created?

It sounds like a linking issue of some sort but I've no idea how that works on Windows, @bertlebbert may know? Last modified dates may tell you something, does it look like it's changing files in the old folder or the new one?

in the old one. The modified time stamps are the most recent. After I synched the index, I shut the client down and re-started but this time got the same error for the mnpayments.dat file which is also in the original folder. I've deleted all the old .dat files now (except wallet.dat) and re-built the index. All seems okay again now.

in the old one. The modified time stamps are the most recent. After I synched the index, I shut the client down and re-started but this time got the same error for the mnpayments.dat file which is also in the original folder. I've deleted all the old .dat files now (except wallet.dat) and re-built the index. All seems okay again now.

Glad it's running :) You still need to move it to the extra drive? It should be possible to move the whole directory and edit a launcher to run "dash-qt -datadir=<dir on other drive>".

following the instructions I created a copy of the Dash folder and renamed it as DashCore however this is on a separate drive and not in the C Drive %appData% folder. I renamed the mncache.dat in the old Dash folder and re-started the client okay this time. Sounds like it is still referencing the old Dash folder and not the new DashCore folder I created?

As @stan.distortion suggests, it sounds like the shortcut to open your wallet probably still specifies original datadir, like this: "C:\Program Files\DashCore\dash-qt.exe" -datadir = "E:\Dash"...

Lol, I know I've forgotten to edit that shortcut option a few times in the past.

Hi @bertlebbert , I wasn't using a shortcut, but opening the .exe directly from install folder. Strange one?!

That expains it... if you are starting dash-qt.exe directly - without specifying path, then it looks for datadir in default location C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Dashcore and will create that directory if it doesn't already exist. You need to specify the path parameter "-datadir=E:\Dash" when starting .exe. Do this either using a shortcut or from the command line.

Edit: Also, when you start a wallet for the very first time, a window pops up asking you to specify a default directory... this saves your choice for datadir in the registry (which you easily edit).

Last edited:
Back