• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

The Need for Localisation

DashingDude

Hi guys,

Those of you who speak American would bitch about the way that I spelled "Localisation" because you guys in America prefer your "z"s. But over here we speak the Queen's English. :cool:

So if you'll forgive me, I'd like to introduce the topic of Localisation.

I think that the most important thing, is currency-localisation. People need to understand the value of their digital currency. And that needs to be represented in integers, not in incomprehensible fractions, Tell me that the steak cost $10US, and that makes sense to me, but not that it costs 0.0001537 Bitcoins or whatever.... That doesn't make sense to anybody. We need to be able to represent digital currency in a way that OTHER people can understand.

They'll base the value of digital currency, for now, on their local currency.

In South Africa, we have 13 Official languages. Whatever interface is provided to the public (be it a Web page or a Smartphone App) will need to support at least 4 of those. Plus the Queen's English ;)

Dash is ahead of the competitors. I see Localisation as one of the next steps...

Last edited:
Thanx JZA

I just went to have a quick look. That's a start, but I'm talking about more than just translation into other languages. I'm thinking of currency-translation too...

ciao!

Our national fiat currency in South Africa is called the "Rand". People here think in terms of Rands. Here, one Dash is a lot of money. People can't deal with things like 0.00000135789 dash. They'll want to know how many Rands it costs, and how many Rands they are taking from their account. And how many Rands they have saved.

That's what I mean by currency-localisation.

Ah right... well that is not currency-localization, that is exchange rate.
Some wallets like Coinomi have that. Maybe a good feature to request.

Yes, fundamentally it is exchange-rate.

But people still think in terms of the existing fiat currencies. I want kids to be able to see that their Dash is worth 10 Rands this month, and 15 the next. I think that we need to simplify the end-user experience, until it becomes something that even your grandmother could do.

Thanks JZA. My thoughts are all-over-the-place so I'm not sure of the correct channels/forums.

Yes, what I'm talking about involves a wallet. But I'm not sure that the Dashcore wallet forum is the right place for this discussion. I'll need to read the forum to learn, which I haven't done yet.

DASHcore wallet is an open source project, and is hosted on github you can go and submit a feature request on it.

Thanks for explaining!

But DashCore wallet features won't do it for me, I think. I'm looking more at our unique African context. Would you believe that we still have people who can't read nor write? OK, they're beyond Dash. But we have millions of people inbetween... who probably never finished school. I suspect that it would take an wholly different kind of wallet, before they would adopt.

Pictures instead of text ? But JZA is correct - take it to wallet forum/github or they won't hear about this idea.

Ummm... OK

I'm just suggesting some ideas at this stage. I got some responses, which is great. I'm probably not the guy to translate everything into Xhosa and Swahili. I don't want to get too serious about this right now.

I really don't want to get involved in big debates. My tuppence remains, however. There is a need for localization. If they'd tell us more about Evo, then maybe we'd be assured that it was taken-care-of in the future... but we know so little. Evo is just a promise right now.

I am not ready to take my idea to the big boys. I just want to put it out there, and see what happens.

Ciao!

Good ideas start small. Keep plugging away - you'll be doing dash a massive favour. I like this - a wallet that is so simple that you don't have to read anything - just pictures. Billions? of illiterate users out there waiting for this.

Can we represent money as pictures? Perhaps we should start trading in Cows.

In Africa a would-be husband pays for his wife-to-be with cows. Very beautiful brides cost more cows than the ugly ones, who only cost a few cows.

I bet you half a cow that we could have some fun with this idea. Unfortunately, half cows don't yield milk, so there's no dividend on investment, but we could eat it at least, at the end.

:D

Cows aren't fiat-based whatsoever. Their value is based on something that is both tangible and edible. And scarce. Plus.. Edible investments might be useful, when the apocalypse comes.
Can we start trading cows on the exchanges perhaps?
Forgive my attempt at humor!! ciao.

Is a cowchain like an ox-wagon? In these parts we form protective laagers, which are circles of multiple ox-wagons, to defend ourselves while we fix the broken ox-wagon. And broken oxen can be eaten, so we have a secure and edible and exchangeable means of transport. We even have redundancy. If one cow fails, the other cows (oxen) will take over. We have sustainability: people who invest in a MasterCow Node (requires holding a minimum investment of 1 boy cow and 1 girl cow) will receive more little cows each year..ROI... And it can be used as currency. Viva the CowCoin! Now WIth Free Milk.

Last edited:
Back