• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

The Merits (or otherwise) of ‘Bitcoin Bashing’. Important. Please Read.

T

toknormal

Folks, it won’t have passed most people by, the fact that many (otherwise neutral) industry commentators are growing increasingly irritated by what they see as ‘bitcoin bashing’ and casual dismissal of Bitcoin's longer term viability coming from some of the Dash community.

Despite the fact that I understand the ‘useability’ concerns over bitcoin, they have good reason IMO which goes way beyond usability issues and I’d like to give my opinion as to why. (There is a good outcome for both sides so hang in there till the end if you can ! :) ).

***************** TL;DR VERSION *****************

Do not wish for Bitcoin’s demise. Doing so is a death wish for all of crypto, including Dash.

Bitcoin is currently going through a rights of passage phase as a “monetary stock” (see below for distinction monetary/tech stock) which means it must prove itself as a store of value independently of its blockchain features (other than supportive maintenance).

If it fails that test, it will set a precedent that cryptocurrencies are not investable long term and are only as good as their technical features, that ‘authenticity’ counts for nothing and that they’re dead in the water as the safe haven alternative to precious metals. If that happens, Dash will be placed somewhere on the Tech-Stock section along with it on the graphic below. Not on the monetary section. There will be no amount of 'useability' problems that can be solved to avoid that fate.

***************** DETAIL VERSION *****************

Background. The Rise of the Altcoin Market
I don’t know how long most of you have been observing crypto markets, but I’m a kind of ‘medium termer’. Got involved in early 2013 so 4 years. Back then things were quite different. Alt coins had just started arriving on the scene and the first hint that Bitcoin might give way to ‘better tech’ was Litcoin’s huge revaluation in November 2013.

At that point, all bets were off. Everyone saw something wrong with Bitcoin and started crafting ‘solutions’ to bitcoin’s inadequacies. People started hedging all over the place - Peercoin, Litecoin, Primecoin, Quark, NxT. They all had good reason to think they were the next Bitcoin. Even Bill Stills - a long time and widely respected monetary analyst was totally convinced what the next Bitcoin was going to be.

NxT solved bitcoin’s blocktime and energy consumption problems, Peercoin solved its capacity problems by a high-fee trunk transaction network, Quark solved the mining centralisation problem and Darkcoin solved its privacy problem. Dogue and Blackcoin built the 'strongest' communities in crypto and that would carry them through apparently.

green_Shoots.png

Of those, the only one to have grown and not declined is Dash and even that is still only at 3% BTC’s marketcap. I've always argued that the single biggest reason for Dash's bucking the trend is that it consistently targeted monetary properties over technology properties (see more on the specifics below). This post is a renewed appeal to not fall off that path which we will (IMO) be doing if we're short sighted enough to toxify the fertile ground in which our green shoots are rooted.

Bitcoin's Role
Taking stock of what’s sustaining BTC’s value and longevity, it clearly isn’t ‘useability features’ or it would have been dead long ago. The current confirmation backlog is nothing. If you’ve watched Bitcoin long term it’s just another river to cross. Early forking, MT Gox collapse, the malliability double-spend crisis and general mainstream press-bashing were all potentially a lot worse.

The bottom line is that Bitcoin has survived these crises by doing “little”, not “a lot”. By being passive, not active and by staying authentic. In my opinion it’s not likely to loose that appeal anytime soon and we must see Dash’s market in that context.

Monetary vs Tech Stock - What's the Difference ?
The way to look at this is to observe the growth patterns of distinctive investment vehicles over the course of the twentieth century - possibly the most rapidly evolving epoch mankind has ever known. The difference between a monetary and a tech stock is that while the latter can potentially net you faster gains, it has limited longevity. On the other hand, monetary stocks go on forever.

monetary_Tech_Stock.png

The problems with a tech stock are many, and represent a kind of “live by the sword, die by the sword” situation:

• they are only as good as their current feature set and therefore subject to competitive threats
• they are subject to continual divesting and re-investing for investors to make long term returns
• they can never be identified as ‘safe haven assets’
• they are subject to ‘blind spots’ (value shortfalls that competitors can take advantage of)

From a monetary analysis perspective, what’s happening right now in the bitcoin debate is nothing less than a huge stand-off between bitcoin’s identity as a monetary stock vs its demise to ‘tech stock’ status and Dash has a substantial interest in seeing the former path prevail because if Bitcoin looses - even to Dash, it seals Dash’s fate too.

What then is Dash's Role in the Market ?
This is the background (IMO) against which we should evaluate Dash’s trajectory. Primarily as a monetary stock, a long term store of value and a ‘safe haven asset’ but one which captures the market that is currently leaving bitcoin out of genuinely held frustration based on usability and other concerns.

How can Dash do that without falling into the ‘tech-stock’ trap ?
Go back to first principles. The centuries old and well understood properties of money give guidance. (This is my monetary bible-bashing moment ;) ). They indicate that there is room for manoeuvre since “mobility” and “fungibility” are two recognised properties. We can therefore enhance these as long as it isn’t at the expense of authenticity (e.g. deploying an off-chain solution in the case of mobility and encrypting the blockchain in the case of fungibility).

The practical gains to be had are an authentic, native, highly mobile single monetary tier which also serves as a long term store of value and that people enjoy using. That is the challenge. Bitcoin does not pose any threat in this respect or even limit to Dash's market cap. Dash could for that matter exceed Bitcoin's market cap without Bitcoin having to relinquish it's "crown" as the primary crypto reserve and original monetary base. In fiat, the credit markets (commercially driven appealing directly to users) dwarf the central bank monetary base in most countries.

But make no mistake. An essential component of meeting that challenge is that Bitcoin meets its challenge, otherwise we’re all screwed and will end up in one of those isolated chart boxes on the low road to oblivion indicated in the graphic above.

Thank you for listening. Pleased I got that off my chest ;)

Last edited:
Great read! (not that I'm surprised, I still have to find a post in which you don't make any sense :))

I fully agree that Bitcoin succeeding is good for us. As you say, our fungibility and speed make us complementary. The enemy is not Bitcoin, the enemy is outside of crypto and it's huge. However, I do think that there is indeed some competition for investors. This is short term and not that important, but crypto investors have limited resources. Our market cap grows partially on its own, the rest is at the expense of Bitcoin. In our case, the higher the marketcap, the higher the budget we have to develop the project.

So I think we need Bitcoin to succeed, but not too much and not too fast. That way we would have time and resources to catch up in terms of ecosystem and coexist, each based on the different properties we have.

And it's a weak position to take, makes you and all of us look bad.
If you need to ' talk down ' your opponent you are saying that your product cannot stand on it's own. That's moneros businessplan.
We should act more confident, more mature than that. Be polite and show people what Dash can do. Let people draw their own conclusions.

What then is Dash's Role in the Market ?
This is the background (IMO) against which we should evaluate Dash’s trajectory. Primarily as a monetary stock, a long term store of value and a ‘safe haven asset’ but one which captures the market that is currently leaving bitcoin out of genuinely held frustration based on usability and other concerns.
But your analysis is far more intelligent than the typical cryptotard investor's analysis.

They're simply divesting into the "top 3 altcoins" without paying any heed to what is behind them.

Consider the recent pumps. What did XMR or ETH do to warrant a massive price rise? Nothing. It's just a pumpulation.

DASH launched 12.1, a springboard to better things.

XMR and ETH are still doing fuck all. They're stagnant. Yet being pumped hard just like DASH was at first... DASH now dropping.

The facts are irrelevant. The tech is irrelevant. This is a mob if snowflake lemmings that aren't even looking at what they're doing. Just trying to out-ouija board each other.

hodl and wait for dashdrive and dash contracts and DAPI.

XMR is a one-trick pony hyping and trolling to stay relevant.
ETH is, uh, well, not sure. Exactly what do they have besides good hype (marketing)?

This is the same argument I get into with idiots who like to Conceal Carry and think it's better than Open Carry. They would rather find excuses to justify their ego trip of sneaking about pretending to be James Bond, than simply let i be visible and prevent any incident in the first place. Criminals are not deep thinkers. "I'll whip it out and turn the tables!" and "They have to wonder who has a guin!" No, they don't have to wonder. They don't think that much. I'd rather not "turn the tables" when I could simply have the upper hand to begin with and avoid any unpleasantness... They're egomaniac thugs. If they don't see it, they're going to attack you. Period. That's it. No deep thoughts. An ounce of prevention is worth 9rdd of cure. Concealment cannot prevent by definition. But, this argument, not matter how flawless, dopes not fulfill the 007 wanabee's ego. He must invent bullshit excuses, cognitive dissonance, etc.. It doesn't matter if the argument it logical and factual. Logic and facts aren't the deciding factor. Ego is.

Same for the cryptotards. Your analysis may be spot-on, but try explaining it to a cat. I'm pretty sure it'll just get bored and walk away. The cryptotards have no idea what you're saying, and they aren't listening anyway. They're going to lick their butt and chase a squirrel because that's all they can understand.

It's just another pump. There is no reason.

I believe this is why BTC will ultimately fail the test you've outlined. DASH needs to stop acting like it's got all the time in the world to develop the features that will help it escape the "not good for anything but ponzi" stigma of crypto, before that failure becomes kinetic. Bitclones are in a decaying orbit. The writing is on the wall. Whoever exits the cryptosphere echo chamber and penetrates reality first, will essentially eject from that already crashing airplane.

Fix IX and be used in retail. Whoever does this first wins, and winner takes all. DASH needs to dump the pork and focus on the parts that actually matter instead of this obnoxious hubris of imagining that it has already won. The only reason BTC, ETH, XMR, or any number of other shitcoins haven't implemented their own IX is because their hubris is even greater than DASH's. They think only in terms of the cryptosphere echo chamber and just plain don't fucking get it. Sadly, I've watched for 18 months as that same "just plain don't fucking get it" attitude has infiltrated DASH's leadership.

Last edited:
Tok, excellent and thought-provoking post as always!

I completely agree that the death (or simply the demise) of Bitcoin would be very bad for Dash. Bitcoin is the 800 pound gorilla, and its collapse would seriously damage confidence in all cryptocurrencies. For better or worse, Bitcoin represents all of us to the outside world. Its demise would be catastrophic. I need not point out that with the vast, vast majority of the Dash trade taking place on DASH/BTC pairs, we are priced in terms of BTC. A collapse in the BTC price would be very, very bad for us. I for one am hoping to see DASH settle around .05 and see BTC head up to $5,000. I’d be very content with the resultant $250 DASH price!

I have a couple of counterpoints, however:

a) What makes Bitcoin authentic? The currency has existed for eight years, and while not the first digital currency (HashCash), it is the first successful one. It also has significant network effects. However, when compared to other “authentic” forms of money, an eight year history pales in comparison. In the same way, LTC would be the most authentic alt coin (having achieved a high marketcap and being one of the oldest), yet LTC is dying a slow death.

b) I would like to point out that at the present time, all cryptocurrencies are severely inflationary. We tend to talk about crypto in terms of a “deflationary currency,” which it will be in about a hundred years when block rewards are gone. At present, however, all the major cryptocurrencies are inflationary—in fact, heavily so. BTC presently has an annual inflation rate of 4% (twice that of the US dollar). DASH has an inflation rate of 11.7% at present.

c) I’m uncertain that anything software-based can ever truly become a monetary stock. You suggested elsewhere that you’d rather leave money to your grandkids (long term) using Bitcoin since it changes so slowly, rather than a currency that’s changing its code frequently. Point well taken. However, all software is broken (https://medium.com/message/everything-is-broken-81e5f33a24e1#.k3afi93ta).

a. By all accounts, Satoshi was hardly a brilliant programmer. His code is said to be extremely difficult to read. While nobody has found any game-breaking bugs yet, that’s not to say that something won’t eventually be found. Likewise, of those minor changes Core manages to make from time to time, something could go disastrously wrong. Even a tiny piece of code, removed or commented out, could be a disaster (https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/28/line_break_pilot/). Even if Core does everything well, dependencies can always be messed up down the line by people you don’t even know (https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/23/npm_left_pad_chaos/). Not that this stuff is encouraging to any software project, including Dash, but at least we have more active development and a governance feature that allows us to make decisions quickly.

b. Changes in the environment can happen in an instant, and anybody who is incapable of adapting can be destroyed. Bitcoin is a plodding dinosaur, and while that’s good for a monetary stock, it’s terrible for software. One often cited example is the (possible) coming of quantum computing. Once a large enough quantum computer is built, Bitcoin (and most/all cryptocurrency) will find that part of the security of our private key is compromised. Bitcoin (and all of us) will either have to adopt Lamport signatures or at the very least develop software that prevents users from reusing old addresses. As Bitcoin effectively has no governance structure, good luck making such a significant change.

c. Perverse incentives are already rampant in Bitcoin. Miners control everything, including whether software upgrades are successful. Some have suggested that the economic power of exchanges could be brought to bear on the miners, but that requires total cooperation among competing exchanges. What other misaligned incentives might be discovered over the years?

Your point about tech stocks is well-taken, and the only suggestion I have to deal with that is continued innovation. The nice thing about a software product is that we don’t have a physical product (typewriter, Model T) that consumers have to replace. We’re like Windows, or Linux. Our users can simply update to new versions of our software as needed. Nobody would suggest a modern computer run Windows 3.1, but for most of us non-techies, Windows 2010 works fairly well. (Analogy can be extended to Mac OS of course, or to Linux.)

tl;dr Bitcoin is money, but it’s also software. Any software that never innovates will eventually die. As software, upgrades can happen which adapt the software to a changing environment, partially or wholly mitigating the “tech stock” dilemma.

The enemy is not Bitcoin, the enemy is outside of crypto and it's huge.
The only enemy DASH need currently be concerned with, is DASH's own failure to capitalize on the killer feature it created nearly 2 years ago... Someone is going to do it. Why is DASH so terrified of winning?

What makes Bitcoin authentic? The currency has existed for eight years, and while not the first digital currency (HashCash), it is the first successful on.

In this case, the fact that it's the only asset on the marketcap list which has gained value without doing anything. No alt has been able to get away with that which led me to conclude that there's a mutually exclusive value driver between bitcoin and altcoins.

Bitcoin accrues value form doing nothing. Altcoins accrue value from doing "something". The ominous proposition from that conclusion may be that bitcoin is the only monetary stock. Alts are all tech stocks - only as good as their last feature. We'll have to see how that pans out.

Re. Hashcash I think it just arrived before its time. Bitcoin emerged in the chaos of the economic crash when people were becoming concerned about types of money and how they could 'disappear'. It got enough traction and was therefore branded as 'the first' even though it wasn't strictly speaking.

c) I’m uncertain that anything software-based can ever truly become a monetary stock. You suggested elsewhere that you’d rather leave money to your grandkids (long term) using Bitcoin since it changes so slowly, rather than a currency that’s changing its code frequently. Point well taken. However, all software is broken (https://medium.com/message/everything-is-broken-81e5f33a24e1#.k3afi93ta)..

Good point. I'll have to think about that one though I'd just say that everything is relative when it comes to asset ownership. They are all in different "spaces". The real estate space, fixed income space, commodity space etc. Cryptocurrencies were the first ever asset where you could take delivery on an electronic platform, so I use the term 'monetary asset' in a relative sense - i.e. in the electronic trading 'space'.

Back