• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

switching to linux

intertan

I have a pc with 3 nvidia GPU cards. Currently I am running windows but would like to switch to linux as I can probably get better performance.
Now I am no lnux guru but I have used it in the past. Ideally just a command line is needed as this is primary what it is going to be used for. There may be some other stuff on there as well but it is run in the background and I don't need some fancy gui.
What version of linux should I look at
I do want to have the fans set to 100% and some overclocking but in due time.

Are you looking for a super minimized Linux? The issue is that if you are just making the change you may find it more difficult than you expect. Lubuntu, as mentioned above, is a good lightweight take on Ubuntu (not great for privacy, but that is contingent on your concerns).

There are a huge number of ultra-lightweight distros, but can you tell us what you need generally so we can help?

this will solely be used for gpu mining and on occasion other programs that use the gpu computing.
It is all nvidia
Want 100% fan speed on gpu
Ability to over clock the gpu
Except for updating the mining software and gpu drivers this is all it is going to be used for.

I do plan on upgrading once pascal comes out but not till later this year.

Back