• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

should we be encouraging masternode hosting services or not?

MrZilch

Hey guys.

I use masternodecould.com for a few of my nodes and also self host 1 on a VPS. I use a masternode hosting service because it is super easy and cost effective.

I am wondering if this is going to turn out to be a problem for us if many MN's are hosted using these services. eg. node40, masternodecloud etc. (Im guilty here as well! )

im speaking about the centralisation issue. I wonder if we should be working on a dash masternode image file anyone can spin up on any VPS or home machine to run the daemon. I have set up a MN on my own VPS using Taos guide. ( very helpful tao thank you !) but there is still a reasonability high entry point for many people. and once your node is set up the upgrades etc are a bit of a mission.

Its just a suggestion but im wondering if we were to spend a bit of time trying to make a custom distro that simplifies the masternode setup process. it would definitely help distribute mn nodes.

what do you guys think? is this an issue?

I do not think it is !
I am having all my MN's hosted

centralisation ? well if one service would go down , there are enough others to pick up the customers
hosting services only host and nothing else , so I do not see a centralisation issue there for the network at all

I do not think it is !
I am having all my MN's hosted

centralisation ? well if one service would go down , there are enough others to pick up the customers
hosting services only host and nothing else , so I do not see a centralisation issue there for the network at all

if there turn out to be a 'few' main MN hosts that host 1000's of nodes i consider this to be pretty centralised. I mean in an ideal world the nodes would be all over the place? no?

Without MN blinding or v13 magic hosting operators can try to deanonymize DS. This however will ruin their business if this fact became public so I don't think that they have enough incentive to do this.

As for the image: I'm not sure if it's possible to grab/upload VPS image but you can definitely use Docker container for this.

There is one by SirHikmat
https://dashtalk.org/threads/docker-container-for-dash.3064/
https://github.com/5werk/docker-dashd

yes this, but not only this, if an agency or a group wanted to take down a whole lot of our nodes its wouldn't be hard for them if many were on these services. for example if let just say 3000 of the current nodes were brought down right now would that have a catastrophic effect on DASH? I know the node owners would get them up and running again pretty fast but what would happen? also what about ddosing? is it easier for an attacker if all the nodes are on a hosting service like this. Sorry im not trying to spread FUD i simply dont know these answers.

if there turn out to be a 'few' main MN hosts that host 1000's of nodes i consider this to be pretty centralised. I mean in an ideal world the nodes would be all over the place? no?

well
they are only hosting , anybody can host them self , if you can , they are just helping in that degree , nothing else

the nodes are still all over the place as not hosted on their servers , they are still renting some VPS for you

I think you can see it this or that way

well
they are only hosting , anybody can host them self , if you can , they are just helping in that degree , nothing else

the nodes are still all over the place as not hosted on their servers , they are still renting some VPS for you

I think you can see it this or that way

i understand what your saying. I mean i have a few hosted using these services my self. I understand they are just helping and to be honest Im not worried about these services going down or even these hosting providers being fradulent. What i do think about, is this making it easier for an external group to attack the network. That is my main concern. ( as they say dont keep all your eggs in one basket :) )

I see it similarly to the mining pools: For example, the more hashing power is added to a single mining pool, the riskier it is due to centralisation.

The MN hosting services must try to spread their hosted nodes in different geographical locations, better yet in different parts of the globe, different countries, etc, in order to avoid "centralisation" (BTW any person owning multiple MasterNodes should always be careful spreading their nodes, anyway, for the good of the network).

I've ported the peerbox distro to Masternode on respberry pi's.. I've been working on adding more functionality to it but its based on ArchLinux so fairly secure. I do think its best to host your own if you can, the VPS vulnerability is unlikely but does exist.

Back