• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

shapeshift.io...

moli

I just went to https://shapeshift.io and got redirected to http://pleaseprotectconsumers.org/...........

upload_2015-6-13_1-9-21.png

WHY IS THIS WEBSITE BLOCKED?
We are committed to consumer protections that have been outlawed in your jurisdiction.

For this reason, we believe it is reckless and ethically impermissible to extract personal, private information from our users, if it is not necessary for the service they're using. Companies which capture this information expose their users by needlessly storing sensitive data in a central repository, which inevitably becomes a target for hackers and other malicious actors.

Even multinational companies and trillion-dollar governments have been unable to build a track record of data security.

Consider that in America alone, identity theft resulting from these treasure troves of personal data caused over $24 billion in losses to consumers and businesses in 2012, compared with only $14 billion for all household burglary, vehicle and property theft combined.
Source

In other words, identity theft is the biggest and most costly form of theft in our society.

Fortunately, Bitcoin and blockchain technology have enabled a new standard of financial privacy and consumer protection that was sorely needed. No longer must an individual expose sensitive private information when engaging in transactions.

After all, the best way to protect consumers is to not collect and store their sensitive information in the first place.

Unfortunately, in spite of the technological achievements that now protect consumers, some jurisdictions have legally mandated the continued extraction of sensitive private information and the centralization of this data. Therefore, as we must comply with the law, and as we refuse to endanger our users, our services are censored from these jurisdictions:

• Democratic People's Republic of North Korea
  • State of New York
PARTICIPATING ORGANIZATIONS
WHAT YOU CAN DO
For jurisdictions which have elected representatives, we've provided contact information below. Please let them know about the importance of the consumer protection afforded by blockchain technology, and the costs and risks forced upon consumers in jurisdictions which continue to censor it.

CONTACT NY STATE REPRESENTATIVES
CONTACT INFO FOR
ALL NEW YORK STATE REPRESENTATIVES

CONTACT

GOVERNOR OF NEW YORK STATE:
ANDREW M. CUOMO
1-518-474-8390

CONTACT

MEDIA CONTACT INFORMATION
WALL STREET JOURNAL
Gerard Baker, Editor in Chief: [email protected]
Op-Ed Submission: [email protected]

NEW YORK TIMES
Margaret Sullivan, Public Editor: [email protected]
Op-Ed Submission: [email protected]

Organizations Can Contact [email protected]

Copyright © PleaseProtectConsumers.org 2015

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:sad:

NYC state regulations, i am surprised they are in action already
Yes I guess so. Been trying to follow this stuff..

Also, at first I thought I typed in the name "shapeshift" wrong and got on a wrong site...lol..., I looked it up and retyped again to make sure.
Welcome to America.. this is really distressing.. :/

mmm, zero confirmations is it ?! So this is catching on, isn't there a big double spend hack in the asking :eek:

well that sucks for any crypto enthusiast in New York state. There is always VPN or TOR to help.
I like the way they've listed these two jurisdictions. North Korea and New York State. hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
Back