• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Recovering from backup

stan

Must be a dumb question but i havent found answers searching, I loaded new dash software on my new computer, how do i recover my oldf wallet with my backed up .dat file? In the past i remember there would be a new .dat file loaded and i would just replace new dat with old one, but I dont see any new loaded dat file in dashcore folder. Thanks in adwance

From 0.12.0.58? The files folder changed location from ".dash" to ".dashcore", can copy the whole folder (with some editing) or just copy over wallet.dat and resync.

The new wallet.dat only gets created when you open the wallet for the first time. If you still haven't opened it you won't have it. You can still place there your old wallet.dat there and it will be used when you open.

i did open the new wallet but new .dat file was not created in dashcore i copied and pasted my old dat file into dashcore but my coins havennt appeared, it is how ever notice "out of sync" in the wallet still from yesterday, what else can I do?

i did open the new wallet but new .dat file was not created in dashcore i copied and pasted my old dat file into dashcore but my coins havennt appeared, it is how ever notice "out of sync" in the wallet still from yesterday, what else can I do?

Could be it's still catching up, it could take a few hours but it shouldn't take an entire day! Maybe start again from zero by deleting the newly created dashcore folder and following this:
https://dashpay.atlassian.net/wiki/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=20512825

Back everything up beforehand of course!

it is saying 3 years behind, but its definitely been more then a day, but what i did is correct yeah? just copied and pasted saved old .dat file into the dashcore folder (with out taking anything out of that folder) then closing and opening my wallet and waiting for the coins to appear?

it is saying 3 years behind, but its definitely been more then a day, but what i did is correct yeah? just copied and pasted saved old .dat file into the dashcore folder (with out taking anything out of that folder) then closing and opening my wallet and waiting for the coins to appear?

That should work ok, downloading the blockchain can get stuck occasionally so you may need to keep an eye on it, restarting the client usually gets past those points for me but ymmv. Depending on your system it may have renamed your original wallet.dat to something like wallet2.dat when you copied it over, better deleting the copy that's in there beforehand to be on the safe side. If it's proving difficult I'd go with copying the folders as per the wiki instructions, way quicker than downloading everything.
There's also a bootstrap download here:
https://github.com/udjinm6/dash-bootstrap

ok my wallet is synced, but its still showing 0 even thought I pasted my dash.dat into the dashcore, what am i doing wrong, or dash.dat is not correct backup file?

i uninstalled the software, downloaded it again, pasted dash.dat file into dashcore and its still zero:( I am happy to offer few dash coins who can help me recover my money

Try copy your wallet.dat, that is the wallet, i hope you have backed that and not dash.dat.

Then try disk drill app. It may help with backup your wallet if other methods didn't work. Here you can find a step-by-step instruction. PS I had the similar issue and after disk drill backup everything back to normal

sorry guys i been away for a bit, when i do the back up it get saved as dash.dat not wallet.dat
i dont have a wallet.dat file, does that meant my money are lost?

Did you give it the name dash.dat? I'm not too familiar with the files but I can't find one of those in mine. I'd try renaming that file to wallet.dat and see what happens.

no when I back up (even my new wallet) it get saved as dash.dat, I am not sure what else can be done, 160 dash coins are lost it seems;(

no when I back up (even my new wallet) it get saved as dash.dat, I am not sure what else can be done, 160 dash coins are lost it seems;(

@stan: are you still here? What operating system are you using? Do you still have your old wallet.dat file? And do you still have both a Dash and DashCore directories on your computer? I'd like to try and help you get your coins back!

It's the ultimate in Bad Mojo to go passing wallet.dat files around, but I don't see this having a known end without someone with a clue putting their hands on it. OP is too clueless.

@stan Have you screwed with the automated backup folder at all?

In Linux, you'd have a ~/.dashcore/backups/ folder. Not sure what your OS's equivalent would be. The client makes it's own backups every time the client loads. There used to be a rollover limit, so it could have been overwritten by now... Not sure if that rollover was ever eliminated.

I'd volunteer myself, but many like to assert that because they don't like my politik, I am somehow not trustworthy. Don't need a can of worms from pricks saying I'm trying to steal some piddly amount of DASH from someone...

Last edited:
Hi Mohi and camosoul, all I have is dash.dat file, yes i did move it between folders (copy and pasting it), could that really be the reason? I hope not.
I am not sure what wallet.dat file is few people mentioned, even now when I open a new wallet and back it up it get saved at dash.dat, file, why is that? lets try to break it one bit at a time, what am I doing wrong?

Ok I realised, it gets saved what ever you name the file during the backup, so with my old wallet I called it dash, and that why it got saver as dash.dat,
just now for example with a new wallet that I want to back up, I clicked on "file", then "back up wallet" and again it asked me to name the file and i named it dash2, and it got saved as dash2.dat, is this how you back up?

Back