• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Questions about Mixing / PrivateSend

halso

Hi,

apologies in advance if these questions appear very basic:

1. When i start mixing, am i waiting for other people who have also hit "start mixing"?

2. When i start mixing, am i also assisting people who are attempting to PrivateSend?

3. Are masternodes required to mix automatically or do i have to opt-in by hitting the button?

Thanks.

Hi,

apologies in advance if these questions appear very basic:

1. When i start mixing, am i waiting for other people who have also hit "start mixing"?

correct
you are mixing your coins with others who are online doing the same thing

Hi,
2. When i start mixing, am i also assisting people who are attempting to PrivateSend?
Correct

Hi,
3. Are masternodes required to mix automatically or do i have to opt-in by hitting the button?

Masternodes ..... they are working on the mixing pocess but their wallts are not involved in the mixing (you1k Dash is just sitting their offline)
you do not have to hit any button on MN or MN Wallet, that is doing it's own thing (Network is sorting out who is mixing with what,
you just gotta hit the button on the wallet you are mixing with

correct
you are mixing your coins with others who are online doing the same thing

Correct

Masternodes ..... they are working on the mixing pocess but their wallts are not involved in the mixing (you1k Dash is just sitting their offline)
you do not have to hit any button on MN or MN Wallet, that is doing it's own thing (Network is sorting out who is mixing with what,
you just gotta hit the button on the wallet you are mixing with

Thanks for that Tungfa. I had a play with 12.1 last night, and it's all starting to make sense. The addition of the "PrivateSend balance" is a stroke of genius.

I suddenly understood that it wasn't necessary to mix all my coins. I just needed to mix enough coins for a PrivateSend.

I think the term XX% COMPLETE is slightly confusing. It implies that the mixing process should finish (i.e. reach 100%)
. But in reality you may only require a small fraction of your balance to be mixed. Does that make sense?

Instead of displaying "XX% COMPLETE", could we instead say "XX% MIXED" or "XX% MIXED for PrivateSend".

I have read a lot of feedback about the mixing process not reaching 100%, but is that really a priority? I think its totally reasonable to wait days / weeks to find other willing participants with whom to mix coins.

Thanks for that Tungfa. I had a play with 12.1 last night, and it's all starting to make sense. The addition of the "PrivateSend balance" is a stroke of genius.

I suddenly understood that it wasn't necessary to mix all my coins. I just needed to mix enough coins for a PrivateSend.

I think the term XX% COMPLETE is slightly confusing. It implies that the mixing process should finish (i.e. reach 100%)
. But in reality you may only require a small fraction of your balance to be mixed. Does that make sense?

Instead of displaying "XX% COMPLETE", could we instead say "XX% MIXED" or "XX% MIXED for PrivateSend".

I have read a lot of feedback about the mixing process not reaching 100%, but is that really a priority? I think its totally reasonable to wait days / weeks to find other willing participants with whom to mix coins.

yes i agree
that PS section is still a bit confusing (% and all)
that will get cleared up eventually,
i will mention your comments to the UI team

@halso thanks for the feedback and it's really great to see you are taking that mixing thing with patience and understanding :)

As for confusing UI, yep, the problem is there and the reason is really simple - it wasn't easy to make mixing work flawlessly and most of early users are geeks (not to mention devs themselves :rolleyes:) so we all like to have as much technical info and debug output as possible. That kind of UI was really helpful in earlier ages btw, it was much easier to find bugs and issues and to understand what is working well and what is not by giving people some overview about how mixing is doing, is it stuck or running smoothly, what part of the process is executing at some point of a time etc. We are getting mixing process polished more and more every release (though it might not that obvious from the UI side) and hopefully we got far enough to finally start to simplify the UI for normal non-geek users. We'll start to implement some of these ideas but we need to keep balance among simplification and proper notification of the process so that user was aware if he is doing well or if smth is wrong. I think we should also try to keep more options available for advanced users.
With this being said, hopefully there will be some improvements in 12.1 release so stay tuned ;)

Perhaps we could have little question mark symbols, and when you hover over them you get a brief explanation of what you are looking at on the QT client.

Back