• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Question about cold-storage masternode configuration - LOCAL/REMOTE IPs in conf file

virento

Hello,
I'm in the process of setting up a masternode and while I believe I have everything in order on both the LOCAL(cold storage location) and REMOTE('real' masternode) ends, it doesn't seem to be working correctly. In an effort to resolve this, I started to question which IP addresses to use for the 'masternodeaddr' and 'externalip' conf file variables. Does each location (LOCAL/REMOTE) need to use it's own Internet accessible public IP address in it's own conf files or should the conf files for both locations use the REMOTE IP address? I currently have each location using it's own public Internet IP and I'm starting to wonder if that's incorrect as some of the documentation I've been referencing doesn't seem to make that clear, at least to me.

Currently, my LOCAL cold storage location shows up just fine in the masternode list but the REMOTE location never shows up. The REMOTE location however does seem to fire up just fine and can see the masternode list but it just never becomes listed itself.

Any help is appreciated and please let me know if you need any additional information from me.

Thanks!

Step 1.) Create new wallet with a single 1000 darkcoin input.
Step 2.) Debug window masternode genkey = [returned input]
Step 3.) Shut down wallet, Paste Local Config file detailis in below.
Step 4.) On remote run the command masternode debug after pasting in MNprivkey
Step 5.) On local, start wallet, and do masternode start 'passphrase'

Local Machine darkcoin.conf file

masternode=1
masternodeaddr= [ip address of remote]
masternodeprivkey= [privkey]

Remote Machine darkcoin.conf file

daemon=1
server=1
rpcuser= blahblah
rpcpassword= blahblah (for daemon flag)
masternode=1
masternodeprivkey= key

Thanks for the reply and info!

I changed the information to match your instructions (using REMOTE IP in the darkcoin.conf on both the LOCAL and REMOTE locations) and I still don't think things are functioning correctly, but maybe I'm wrong. The REMOTE IP still doesn't show up in the masternode list. Should I be seeing a balance of 1000DRK (or more) on the REMOTE server via the 'darkcoind getinfo' command? I currently see 0 DRK there.

Also, should the LOCAL end still be showing up in the masternode list even though it's been shut down for over 12 hours (until recently)?

Lastly, what should 'darkcoind masternode current' display? I'm currently seeing an IP address that is neither my REMOTE nor LOCAL end however I'm not sure if this is normal.

There is no remote ip flag. You don't need it. Everything that is needed in the configuration files is shown.

The local should not be showing up in the mn list if you have a correct remote set up.

Masternode current is the currently selected mn for the entire network. The odds of it being yours is 1/900 once you get it correctly set up.

Try shutting everything (stop darkcoind in remote and close local) and wait for a day to start again. I once messed up things because I mixed files between two local wallets and started two masternodes with the same wallet. Both showed the same wallet address and didn't work. The masternode list showed both of them, one offline, one online with the wrong wallet address. After 24h with everything closed they disappeared from every list and I could start them properly without problems.

Propulsion, I've modified the config file on both sides to mirror exactly what you posted and still no go. The LOCAL end is still showing up in the masternode list as 'active' even though the server is shut down and the REMOTE side never shows up.

Fernando, thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try that and see what happens since the LOCAL side is still showing up in the masternode list as 'active.

I appreciate the input from the both of you :D

Propulsion, I've modified the config file on both sides to mirror exactly what you posted and still no go. The LOCAL end is still showing up in the masternode list as 'active' even though the server is shut down and the REMOTE side never shows up.

Fernando, thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try that and see what happens since the LOCAL side is still showing up in the masternode list as 'active.

I appreciate the input from the both of you :D

Here's what I would do.

Prerequisites
Enable port forwarding on your router to your local machine on the home network. It might be easier to use a static IP setup for your local network.
Port forward the port 9999 and allow incoming connections on the firewall to the local machine.

Same thing with remote, open 9999 in the firewall.

On Local
1.) Start the local wallet. In the debug window issue the command
Code:
masternode stop
2.) Shut down the local daemon. Rename the wallet.dat file to wallet.dat.MN0
3.) Start the daemon again. It will now create a new empty wallet. Copy the first wallet address and shutdown the wallet.
4.) Rename "wallet.dat" to "wallet.dat.new" Rename "wallet.dat.MN0" to "wallet.dat" // that will load your old wallet.
5.) Send the 1000 coins in one input to the newly created address of the new wallet. // Make sure you have a backup of the new wallet and that it is encrypted and the address is valid.
6.) Shut down old wallet after sending coins. Do the rename process again to load the new wallet. In the config file "darkcoin.conf" Only put masternode=1 it might error out and tell you that you need more flags as well but just attempt to do it. //Also make sure that file extensions is being shown if you are using windows. Control Panel >> Folder Options >>
7.) Start deamon and generate the masternode key. Shut the daemon down and paste it into the config file as long as all of the above that I mentioned previously.
8.) Start local again. Don't do anything with it yet.

On remote
1.) Copy the new MN key to the config file.
2.) start the daemon.
3.) Issue the command
Code:
masternode debug
// You should get a response of "Missing input please see documentation" That's good.

Back to Local
1.) issue command
Code:
masternode start
// You should receive a response of "Successfully started Masternode".
2.) Drink champagne.

If this still does not work

Contact someone to help you. :)

Ok, I created a new wallet on the LOCAL side and FINALLY it doesnt show up when issuing the 'darkcoind masternode list' command however now there is a new problem. When attempting to start the masternode on the LOCAL side I receive the error 'not capable masternode'. Any ideas?

Back