PROVEN - client is corrupting wallets upon exit

Status
Not open for further replies.

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
Yet you don't show any *proof*, I'd just remove the "PROVEN" in your title, it is misleading.
I showed you everything I've got. The log file ends abruptly. The file shrinks. There is nothing more. That's part of the problem. Hard to track down a problem with so little to go on.

Demanding more when there is no more does not justify the agenda of pumper troll.

Something is causing it to exit abnormally. Very abnormally. So abnormally that it just plain dies with no further output. It's just fucking gone and it fucks the wallet.dat as it goes. I suspect some bit of code that flushes upon exit. Opens wallet to [do something for exiting] write part, total fail out of RAM entirely. Since the file is a convenient size difference, 512 to 488, exactly 24k... Maybe it's some kind of header-footer formatting, and the bulk is flushing fine? Data in chunks/categories, the bug hunk (probably keys and addresses) seems to write, but then something else doesn't make it and the exception is not trapped?

Ignoring a problem just because it is difficult and rare is not a plan for success. I let it slide once. Not this time. Especially not now that it has repeated itself identically.

Ignition75

May 25, 2014
Australia
1: Run wallet.
2: Quit wallet.
3: Make copy of wallet.dat
4: Start wallet again. wallet.dat corrup? Delete it and Goto 1:
5: Quit wallet
6: make a diff of your backup wallet.dat with the actual one
7: diff shows a difference (means one of your wallet.dat files is corrupt: Goto 1:
8: diff shows no differnce -> voila

But you're right, exporting the key is the more straightforward approach.
That's how I do all my new wallets, it's repetitive but it means I can keep an eye on my shit.

I had one QT corrupt on me once, lost 30 DRK, I renamed a wallet.dat whilst I still had the QT running, it corrupted after that. Kind of my own fault...

That's the only time I've had an issue with it corrupting...

eth1

Jul 1, 2014
Quebec, Canada
SuchPool.pw
Never said to ignore the issue. You simply state that its PROVEN, while the only claim is your own experience in your own words.

Were you able to replicate it on the *same* machine? This is likely an operation relying mostly on ram, as coingun said it could be a bad stick.
I have doubts about this, but you could be out of memory, ending up with the system killing the wallet at some point during it's shutdown?

crowning

May 29, 2014
Alpha Centauri Bc
I showed you everything I've got. The log file ends abruptly. The file shrinks. There is nothing more. That's part of the problem. Hard to track down a problem with so little to go on.
I understand your anger, but a bit more information would help tracking this one down tremendously:

- which operating system/version
- fresh install or did you already install other software packets. If so,which ones
- did the computer and other software ran stable before or were there already other crashes

With this information it would be at least possible to find someone with a similar configuration and try to reproduce it.

Edit:eth1 made a good point, USB sticks ARE very insecure, I had already a couple of them doing nasty things...

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
Never said to ignore the issue. You simply state that its PROVEN, while the only claim is your own experience in your own words.

Were you able to replicate it on the *same* machine? This is likely an operation relying mostly on ram, as coingun said it could be a bad stick.
I have doubts about this, but you could be out of memory, ending up with the system killing the wallet at some point during it's shutdown?
That's a very convenient piece of busted RAM... It manages to cause a problem with wallet.dat of darkcoin-qt 2 times in exactly the same way, and the system runs perfectly stable in every other way...

Oh, and no, it's a different machine entirely. So, theory moot.

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
I understand your anger, but a bit more information would help tracking this one down tremendously:

- which operating system/version
- fresh install or did you already install other software packets. If so,which ones
- did the computer and other software ran stable before or were there already other crashes

With this information it would be at least possible to find someone with a similar configuration and try to reproduce it.
Well, it's not common to include things that don't happen... It didn't rain today. Weird, right?

If I came out saying "this system has months of uptime and is rock solid" you'd just accuse me of trying to cover up in advance... Why would someone mention that?

Already stated, Xubuntu 14.04/0.10.15.16 darkcoin-qt - client version likely irrelevant because this happened once before in exactly the same way several months ago.

Can we please focus instead of search for other things to blame that aren't real/involved?

eth1

Jul 1, 2014
Quebec, Canada
SuchPool.pw
Just trying some ideas. As far as I know, you don't know what caused it either right ?

Also, please stop being an ass with the people in here, we are simply trying to help.

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
eth1 made a good point, USB sticks ARE very insecure, I had already a couple of them doing nasty things...
All media currently involved is magnetic. 2x USB hard drives, internal hard drive...

Hardware is not the problem... I'd have other issues. I don't. Which is why I didn't mention having any. I don't have any to mention...

Scriptiee

Apr 24, 2014
Out of this world
camosoul you have to understand that you are not giving us anything to work with. And what you did provide was tried (by me even) and unable to reproduce.

You come here, scream proven, yet there is no reliable way to reproduce it. This all does sound like something that is shitting itself on your end. So until someone
can recreate it or you come up with a reliable way of doing so, arguing here is moot.

This thread got way of topic already, and you should probably rename it to "possible that client is corrupting wallet - need more help testing" and stop being an ass.

Just re-read your fist post, seems you are running the darkcoin-qt from command line, how did you close the client? Is it safe for us to assume you have not used ctlr+c? Cuz that would be just silly

Last edited by a moderator:

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
you have to understand that you are not giving us anything to work with.
I've said this myself. I know it's not much to go on. If I had more I'd give you more. If I had more, I'd probably figure it out my damn self!

arguing here is moot.
You're absolutely right! Never should have posted it.

stop being an ass.
I should know better than to think I'd find anything other than pumptrolls acting like complete assholes, then calling me the asshole...

I no longer care about finding the cause. I know damn well this is a persistent, if not rare and difficult to reproduce, issue. You can pretend it isn't so and chase your pumptroll distractions...

I'm going to recover my key if I can, and cold store it. All we, er, I really know is that this does happen. If that is to remain I instead of We, not my problem. I know about it, and I will take necessary precautions and not let people talk me into a false sense of security and make this mistake again.

Finding the cause will be someone else's problem if they care enough to do so or even acknowledge it. I wonder how many people this has happened to and they were told it was their own fault, not the client... I'm willing to bet that the way this exits, and the way the log file ends, it gives the appearance of being copied while qt is running, but, is in fact, not the case. There may be a lot more instances of this, the persons to whom it happens are simply browbeaten into silence/submisson by pumptrolls. It is possible for two different problems to have the same symptoms.

I did my part to advise, kill the messenger because it's bad news and might affect the price, as usual... I just want to recover DRKs at this point. Moving on...

Scriptiee

Apr 24, 2014
Out of this world
No one attacked you because you have the issue. You got jumped on cuz you claim you have something proven when you do not.

Then you trying to victimise yourself and start calling everyone a pumptroll... seriously dude. If you here to just report is state so and not claim you have a proof it happens.
Happened to you once (or twice, it does not have to be related with your previous issue), I haven't seen anyone else reporting similar issues. It's only you and you make a huge fucking drama out of it. You wanna help? Help try to recreate it. Afraid of loosing DRK? Go on the test net.

There are ways, you just decide to ignore those...

Anyway am out, you're too unstable for my liking.

TaoOfSatoshi

Grizzled Member
Jul 15, 2014
Dash Nation
www.dashnation.com
I for one, don't give a damn about the current price, as I believe in the usefulness of this technology long term. It is in all of our best interests, if this is a real problem happening multiple times, to deal with it head on! I believe all here would be in agreement with this...

Reactions: eth1 and Ignition75

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
No one attacked you because you have the issue. You got jumped on cuz you claim you have something proven when you do not.
I have proven it. No matter what proof I present, it will be ignored and "more" proven will be needed...

If you here to just report is state so and not claim you have a proof it happens.
I have proven it. No matter what proof I present, it will be ignored and "more" proven will be needed...

Anyway am out, you're too unstable for my liking.
I left BCT because I am the only stable, rational adult I could find there. Seems I'm finding a theme...

Pretend to be a victim while accusing me of playing that role... Whatever, same old repeat... You can attack, but I am no victim. I win. I ALWAYS win. Is that the victim role? Hm?

DRK forum is not immune to internet forum assholery... Surprising? Not to me...

Thanks for the DB dump tip coinguns. If It works, I'll send you a piece of it.

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
Dump is in hexdeci slash delimieted I think... Still not human readable... working... Lots of key entries. Just can't read them. It's probably in here.

Reactions: TaoOfSatoshi

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Core Developer
Dash Core Group
May 20, 2014
Dump is in hexdeci slash delimieted I think... Still not human readable... working... Lots of key entries. Just can't read them. It's probably in here.
Try pywallet
btct thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.0
github https://github.com/jackjack-jj/pywallet
if it's not encrypted
Code:
python pywallet.py --datadir=/home/YourUserName/.darkcoin/ --dumpwallet --otherversion=76 > wallet.txt
or add
Code:
--passphrase=PASSPHRASE
also if it is
This should give you human-readable json

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE RIGHT VERSION - DOUBLE CHECK WITH THE ONE IN THE THREAD - THERE IS A SCAM VERSION OF THAT SCRIPT ON SIMILAR LOOKING GITHUB ACCOUNT jj-jackjack <--scam

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
Try pywallet
I was already on that route when I stopped. Noticed the jj fork...

When I went to install the pywallet deps, apt-get wanted to uninstall everything berkleydb related... So, yeah, I stopped there...

I encrypt my entire drive, so, encrypting the wallet seems redundant and adds difficulty in such fiddling. At least this much I'm prepared for, lols.

UdjinM6

Official Dash Dev
Core Developer
Dash Core Group
May 20, 2014
I was already on that route when I stopped. Noticed the jj fork...

When I went to install the pywallet deps, apt-get wanted to uninstall everything berkleydb related... So, yeah, I stopped there...

I encrypt my entire drive, so, encrypting the wallet seems redundant and adds difficulty in such fiddling. At least this much I'm prepared for, lols.
you can try it in separate VBox

camosoul

Grizzled Member
Sep 19, 2014
you can try it in separate VBox
Yep. Did that. It tells me the file is corrupt and it won't do anything with it. lols...
fail said:
ERROR:root:Couldn't open wallet.dat/main. Try quitting Bitcoin and running this again.
It's pretending that the file is open... Which adds credence to my theory that something is going wrong with the wallet.dat dump when the client fails out of RAM... Looks like a copy-while-qt-is-running, but that is absolutely not true.

eth1

Jul 1, 2014
Quebec, Canada
SuchPool.pw
I left BCT because I am the only stable, rational adult I could find there. Seems I'm finding a theme...
Did it ever come to your mind that this issue could arise from yourself and your cockiness rather than yourself being the only rational adult?

If you think here is the same, BCT still has open arms to welcome you back :)

If you want to act like the rational adult you pretend to be, ask questions and get answers, then we will all get along in here!

Reactions: moli
Status
Not open for further replies.