• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: Partial Proposal Fee Reimbursement

David

The proposal fee in 12.1 was originally slated to be reduced to 0.33 DASH. Unfortunately, this change was reversed and the fee remains 5 DASH. At the present exchange rate, creating a proposal costs about $110.

Hello all! Most of you know me, but for those who don't, I'm David Dinkins. I do writing/editing work as part of the Core Team, and I've been a part of DASH since May 2014. I'm well known in the community, and anybody on Core Team can vouch for me.

Now that the "who" part is done, let's get to the "what." The 5 DASH proposal fee was originally created to discourage spam attacks on the budget system, and it still serves that purpose. However, at the time the fee was implemented, 5 DASH cost about $15. We have seen the price of DASH rise significantly during the last 18 months, and submitting a proposal to the network now costs about $110. Submitting proposals is now a much riskier proposition for the proposer.

The 5 DASH fee that was put into place to discourage spam attacks now also discourages community members from making innovative proposals. I can only imagine that many people might have really good ideas but not be willing to run the risk of losing that much money in the event that the network does not approve their proposal. The good news is that I believe with a little manual work, we can retain the spam protection that the 5 DASH fee provides, while mitigating the risk to a proposer.

I am requesting 45 DASH in funding, to be used as follows:

40 DASH -- Whenever somebody submits a proposal that does not pass, but that achieves at least 100 net positive votes, I will reimburse them 4 DASH, which will cover most of the proposal fee, while still ensuring they have some money on the line. (I will send the DASH to the payment address specified in their budget proposal.) This funding will allow reimbursement of 10 failed budget proposals. The 100 net positive vote requirement is important--the purpose of the 5 DASH proposal fee is to prevent spam attacks against the network. Requiring 100 net positive votes will negate any chance of a spam attack occurring.

5 DASH -- Covers the fee for this proposal

Total of 45 DASH.

I will submit a report at the end of each budget cycle detailing the amounts paid to each proposal and included the tx information for each payment. I will keep all funds in a segregated account so you may check the balance at any time on the blockchain.

Any thoughts on this before I formally submit it to the network? Cheers!

Note--I proposed this idea once before, and here is a link to the original thread: https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/proposal-fee-reimbursement.11312/

At the time, it was too late in the budget cycle for this proposal to be paid, and since the proposal fee was slated to be reduced in 12.1, I didn't feel a great sense of urgency. Since the proposal fee wasn't reduced as planned, I think this proposal merits further consideration.

Back