• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal Idea -- Scholarships/Awards for over-achieving students?

fulltimegeek

Foundation Member
Children are the future. We need to start winning them over to Dash/cryptocurrency while they are young and receptive. What better way to get our foot in the door, or in the minds of the children, than to reward them, or the school, with Dash?

This to me seems like a great way for Dash to get publicity and to start brush-fires in the minds of the youth.

I live in a place that is jam packed with universities (RIT, UofR), some of the best middle/high schools in the nation, and would love to go out once a few months and reward some of the local championship winners here (Rochester, NY).

Do you think a proposal like this would pass? How much should the reward be? 100 DASH? 50 DASH?

I think we'd all be fighting for the funds to go to our favorite schools, but other than that, it's a great idea :D

Yah, I like it. It should be run past our PR people though. It might not be the best run for the money at the moment, but I'm sure at some point it would make an excellent PR move.

Why don't we just put a MN proposal up and get everyone to donate "XX" dash to a fund and we find a charity to give said donations to..

We could do this a few times a year and get a sort of donation raffle going for charity.

That might be cool.

PR people -- Tungfa and Daniel?

No, the ones we hired, Transform PR. I'm just saying that because they might be able to tell us if this is the best time to get the most bang for the buck. But in actuality, we don't need any permissions. If you have the energy, you could start this any time :D

But this is a good idea, getting feedback before making a proposal. I hate it when people put up a proposal before putting feelers out, that could have told them they were wasting their dash. I'd be for this though, so put me down as a yes :) Only thing I would want to see is a fleshed out plan :)

TheDashGuy, I would vote Yes to that. I believe the most difficult part would be in agreeing which organization to donate to. But, if we focus on academic championship winners, we won't know who will be receiving the Dash until all is said and over, which may make it easier for someone to donate/vote yes. It would sort of be like a raffle, like you mentioned, but a raffle with only students in it.

I posted a thread earlier today in /r/Rochester asking to see what kind of events there are here locally and someone brought up "RIT hackathon" which occurs quite a few times per year. Source: https://www.rit.edu/gccis/news/election-night-hackathon-among-dozens-rit

Sponsoring something similar to that would be awesome.

TheDashGuy, I would vote Yes to that. I believe the most difficult part would be in agreeing which organization to donate to. But, if we focus on academic championship winners, we won't know who will be receiving the Dash until all is said and over, which may make it easier for someone to donate/vote yes. It would sort of be like a raffle, like you mentioned, but a raffle with only students in it.

I posted a thread earlier today in /r/Rochester asking to see what kind of events there are here locally and someone brought up "RIT hackathon" which occurs quite a few times per year. Source: https://www.rit.edu/gccis/news/election-night-hackathon-among-dozens-rit

Sponsoring something similar to that would be awesome.

I mean i'm sure some charity will come along some day and do it. It just too obvious to not do..

Thats the great thing about crypto, and Dash, it's all based in common sense, or "ethics" if you will.

Good stuff! If you get some resources and end up needing a microsite for your cause, its on the house! :D

I think it might be early for that.

It's a great idea. I totally agree that it will one day be viable for the community. But maybe when DASH's price is significantly bigger we will be more comfortable (and the donated amounts will be possible to be more substantial... in order to make a real difference for the receiver).

I'd like to see DASH scholarships for poor genius kids in third world countries someday in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it might be early for that.

It's a great idea. I totally agree that it will one day be viable for the community. But maybe when DASH's price is significantly bigger we will be more comfortable (and the donated amounts will be possible to be more substantial... in order to make a real difference for the receiver).

I'd like to see DASH scholarships for poor genus kids in third world countries someday in the future.

Maybe a website should exist called Dash ideas, where these ideas can be saved and hosted and people can come along and pick a project to do..

HMMMMMMMMMMMM...

I also like the dash for charities idea... anyone want to create a poll with charity ideas?

I vote for DASH Foundation

(In the future) DASH Foundation (International) would organise a worldwide "Science Fair".

Each (local) DASH Foundation office, (preferably in poor countries) would keep in touch with local schools, and collect projects from (brilliant) students.

The winner projects would be chosen by a set of criteria. The students (winning project authors) would receive the scholarship and incentives from the DASH Community.

(This is more or less what I envision)

I vote for DASH Foundation (to be continued...)

He means we should donate to actual charities, so they we can get people thinking about how much easier this is than watching some 5 minute commercial making you feel like shit so they can get 50 cents from you a month for some poor kids somewhere in the world. Not to mention said kids barely see 1/5th of those donations.

We could really have a solution to this. All we need is a crowdfunding style website for charities to post thier causes on and donation addresses of the charities posted for easy access.

Eventually the charities would manage this system themselves, once there is some proven traction.

The advantage I see with my idea above, is giving incentive and guidance to those children with potential to, one day, join the DASH team :wink:

The advantage I see with my idea above, is giving incentive and guidance to those children with potential to, one day, join the DASH team :wink:

Totally fair, but to be honest I feel like we need to stop thinking like a startup and think more like a movement.

So we should be putting our money with our mouths are, not just trying to improve our bottom line. Dash price increases and new fun people are nice and all, but if we don't know what we stand for and push for it, we've already lost.

He means we should donate to actual charities, so they we can get people thinking about how much easier this is than watching some 5 minute commercial making you feel like shit so they can get 50 cents from you a month for some poor kids somewhere in the world. Not to mention said kids barely see 1/5th of those donations.

We could really have a solution to this. All we need is a crowdfunding style website for charities to post thier causes on and donation addresses of the charities posted for easy access.

Eventually the charities would manage this system themselves, once there is some proven traction.

I find it hard to trust any "third-part" charity.

Totally fair, but to be honest I feel like we need to stop thinking like a startup and think more like a movement.

So we should be putting our money with our mouths are, not just trying to improve our bottom line. Dash price increases and new fun people are nice and all, but if we don't know what we stand for and push for it, we've already lost.

Sorry, I didn't understand this part (I'm not a native English speaker) :smile:

I find it hard to trust any "third-part" charity.

Sorry, I didn't understand this part (I'm not a native English speaker) :smile:

We should stick to our most simple core competency, if changing the world is really what we want to do, as opposed to just hold these "valuable" coins and get rich off of them, then we should approach every single decision with this attitude.

And that means, we should be showing the world the benefits of Dash, no matter who they are. Fungibility for people, if you will :p

I just don't want us focusing on $$$ all day when we have SOOOOO much more to offer the world.

We should stick to our most simple core competency, if changing the world is really what we want to do, as opposed to just hold these "valuable" coins and get rich off of them, then we should approach every single decision with this attitude.

And that means, we should be showing the world the benefits of Dash, no matter who they are. Fungibility for people, if you will :p

I just don't want us focusing on $$$ all day when we have SOOOOO much more to offer the world.

well...

(my point of view)

Donating 500 bucks to charities would be an easy solution... But hypocritical, at the same time. Is it only for marketing? If so, fair enough...

But, I was born and raised in a relatively poor country. Bona fide charities (yes, there are some, maybe) arrive here mostly from rich countries. And they haven't got a realistic view of poor people's reality. Their projects are like drying ice.... and there are also the "not so honest" charities...

MANY brilliant minds are lost around here, simply by the lack of opportunities....

I wouldn't simply want to donate and forget. It would be like throwing money away, just for the sake of "a good image".

In the future. I am sure DASH will be able to make a difference... we just don't need to put the cart before the horse.

Anyway... as I said before, that's only my perspective of the idea :wink:

well...

(my point of view)

Donating 500 bucks to charities would be an easy solution... But hypocritical, at the same time. Is it only for marketing? If so, fair enough...

But, I was born and raised in a relatively poor country. Bona fide charities (yes, there are some, maybe) arrive here mostly from rich countries. And they haven't got a realistic view of poor people's reality. Their projects are like drying ice.... and there are also the "not so honest" charities...

MANY brilliant minds are lost around here, simply by the lack of opportunities....

I wouldn't simply want to donate and forget. It would be like throwing money away, just for the sake of "a good image".

In the future. I am sure DASH will be able to make a difference... we just don't need to put the cart before the horse.

Anyway... as I said before, that's only my perspective of the idea :wink:

You might like this documentary, the only thing I could think about the whole time I watched it, is how a simple technology like Dash could vastly improve the lives of many of these individuals. I mean 1 guy who works as a janitor makes a HUGE difference his community, if he can make a huge impact of a crap paying job, then why can't we help out too? All these people would have needed to do is provide QR codes for the kids in the film and have them hold the paper wallets up, and we could DIRECTLY HAND THEM MONEY.

I'm STILL mind blown that no one is doing this yet.

Back