• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Proposal: d10e Conference Travel & Lodging

Ryan Taylor

Foundation Member
This is a cross-post from https://www.dashwhale.org/p/d10e-travel
This proposal is an addendum to the previously funded d10e Conference Sponsorship proposal, which passed in the June budget: https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/proposal-d10e-conference-sponsorship.9035/
https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/proposal-d10e-conference-sponsorship.9035/
In the June budget, the network approved the sponsorship of the d10e conference in San Francisco on July 19th-20th. Now that the conference proposal is passed, this proposal is to reimburse the travel and lodging costs for Evan and Daniel - who will both be presenting at d10e.

In order to extract the most value out of the trip, both Evan and Daniel will arrive the day before the event and depart the day after the event. This will allow them to meet with several Silicon Valley cryptocurrency-focused companies about potential business development opportunities in addition to simply attending the conference. Work is in progress confirming meetings.

Requested funding is as follows for the July 6th budget cycle:
  • 45.72 Dash for Evan's flight from Phoenix ($353.00 USD @ $7.721 per June 13th average rate at https://bitinfocharts.com/comparison/price-dash.html)
  • 128.87 Dash for Evan's hotel for three nights ($995.00 USD)
  • 6.48 Dash to check the Dash banner ($25.00 USD each way)
  • 141.95 Dash for Daniel's flight from Panama ($1,096.00 USD)
  • 127.27 Dash for Daniel's hotel ($982.65 USD)
  • 5.00 Dash reimbursement for the proposal cost
  • LESS the leftover 5.60 Dash from the previous d10e Conference Sponsorship proposal (the Dash price appreciated from the date it was submitted to the network to the date we paid d10e, so we are applying those funds here)
Total: 449.69 Dash

Exchange rate risk is carried by Evan and Daniel, not by the network.

Manually vote YES on this proposal:

dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 86090e0d7d1c2b8e3408f689ea36e5a49438dbceb22ca031bd7876ff472b3dff yes
OR from the qt console:
mnbudget vote-many 86090e0d7d1c2b8e3408f689ea36e5a49438dbceb22ca031bd7876ff472b3dff yes

Manually vote NO on this proposal:

dash-cli mnbudget vote-many 86090e0d7d1c2b8e3408f689ea36e5a49438dbceb22ca031bd7876ff472b3dff no
OR from the qt console:

mnbudget vote-many 86090e0d7d1c2b8e3408f689ea36e5a49438dbceb22ca031bd7876ff472b3dff no

Why does Daniel get a shitty room compared to Evan?
I assume this was meant as a joke... But just in case it wasn't: They are both booked into the most basic option at the conference's host hotel. The small difference in costs may be due to different booking engine fees or the fact that they booked at different times as they each booked their rooms separately.

I assume this was meant as a joke... But just in case it wasn't: They are both booked into the most basic option at the conference's host hotel. The small difference in costs may be due to different booking engine fees or the fact that they booked at different times as they each booked their rooms separately.
Yea, pretty sure it was a joke.

The hotel is super expensive. $ 2k for three nights for two persons?
I would be happy to know why you didn't choose another hotel and why a double room was not an option.
I'm not familiar with SF and the prices out there, but a quick search on booking showed several nearby hotels with double rooms for around $500 for the requested date.

The hotel is super expensive. $ 2k for three nights for two persons?
I would be happy to know why you didn't choose another hotel and why a double room was not an option.
I'm not familiar with SF and the prices out there, but a quick search on booking showed several nearby hotels with double rooms for around $500 for the requested date.
Lets not nickel & dime on hotel rates. And as for sharing a room - they arent backpacking. They are there on business.

If anything, our burn rate isnt high enough. We arent even using the full 10% available budget. Thats a real mistake that needs fixed.

My preference would be for them to stay even longer and talk to more people. Cold call Peter Thiel and the boys and ask for a chat.

Another idea - why dont we have a budget for someone to travel the world visiting every blockchain conference there is. Someone like fernando would be good at that. We need more exposure. Especially in Asia.

Lets not nickel & dime on hotel rates. And as for sharing a room - they arent backpacking. They are there on business.

I dont ask for taking the most buget room there is, but
this is the money of all dash stakeholders and we all want it to be spent efficiantly, I guess. Taking two separate rooms in the venue when there is at least half prized rooms just over the corner is a bit weird in my perception.
As I understand Evan and David both belong to the core team. I would have no problem at all for raising their reimbursment (i.e. salary) for the work they do since the team is doing great work and is worth every penny! With this extra money they could easily upgrade their room to the now choosen one.

Oh, and regarding the burn rate. Burning money is not a good thing for itself neither is a high burn rate.
If there a not enough projects worth spending money, we should not seek to burn the money in every possible way. The network could save the money for a while and when it becomes clear that this situation will prevail, just change the resource allocation accordingly (i.e. lowering the amount of dash provided for project funding).

Back