• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Pre Proposal: Cannabis Genomic Blockchain on DASH: Phase 2

Fund this or Weed it out?

• Shut up and take our DASH

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Weed yourself out

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
@wixamlee
@stillcantstop
@A_node_to_a_Master
@criticalinput
@TanteStefana
@studioz
@mastermined
@Name3
@Danny_Somthin
@QuantumExplorer
@TheSingleton
@Chuck Williams
@pn0
@3d1409ae
@Beru
@blockchaintech
@qwizzie
@Dashmaximalist
@thedesertlynx
@kevmate
@Benglian
@TaoOfSatoshi
@babygiraffe
@Paris
@coingun

Cannabis Genomic Blockchain on DASH: Phase II
PROPOSAL DESCRIPTION

Phase II: Sequence the cannabis genome to the fullest extent possible, perform a crypto-bounty peer review and place the Cannabis genome public on DASH Drive.

https://d.tube/#!/v/lariat/ayn19kmt

40 DASH for 6 months. 240 DASH total

Tl:Dr
This is the second part of a previously funded and very popular DASH project: https://www.dashcentral.org/p/MedicinalGenomics

This project has a 1005:102 Yes:No Masternode vote and has been delivering successfully on all goals.

Medicinal Genomics was the first entity to sequence the cannabis genome in 2011 with worldwide news coverage. The technology in 2011 left 100,000 holes in the genome and 7 years later technology has finally advanced to improve the contiguity of the reference sequence 100 fold. This is a significant scientific advancement in the Cannabis field. This will also inform the field regarding recently issued and controversial cannabis patents that are believed to be excessively broad in claim scope and affect affordable access to any plants that produce both CBD and THC.

Cultural movement marketing
I)
As Twitter, YouTube, Google and Facebook ban crypto advertisement, one needs to consider alternative and more strategic marketing mechanisms to crack the cannabis market. This proposal enables DASH to be the centerpiece of one of the most important scientific achievements in the Cannabis field. It will catapult DASH as a leader in the field as opposed to a nascent novel entrant to the field. Building the ultimate cannabis genome sequence and hosting this on the DASH drive network will drive DASH awareness amongst the well-funded and most advanced cannabis companies.

II)This novel approach to genomic funding and crypto-peer review will gain the attention of the rapidly growing $20B genomics market and $25B scientific publishing markets.

III)The implications for intellectual property on ephemerally prohibited plants will also be impacted by this proposal. This is topic of increasing concern in the cannabis field as described by GQ magazine and many news outlets.

For more on Cultural Marketing see

What is a crypto bounty peer review?
This is a response to the broken peer review system where Publishers have been running a racket for many decades. This racket has the researches hand over copyright of their discoveries to a Publisher who then charges the researchers $3000 per article to publish and charges readers to $50 per article to read the scientific work. Neither the researcher nor the reviewer is compensated for their efforts in the process. This creates a broken incentive model and as a result we have high scientific retraction rates and low reproducibility rates for published papers. By using crypto-incentivized peer review, the process can disintermediate a $25B publishing industry, and deliver faster and more reliable results. These were first experimented with on the Kratom Genome Project and more can be seen at http://raidreviews.org or KratomDNA.org.

Why perform a crypto bounty peer review?
This benefits DASH as it highlights DASH not only bringing truth to ledgers but truth in scientific publishing. This differentiates DASH from other cannabis scam-coins.

Our last proposal organized and incentivized Stampd.io to enable DASH blockchain notarization that we currently use at Kannapedia.net. Strains are now being notarized on DASH instead of Bitcoin. This proposal will expand on this and notarize the new genome reference but also all communication in the crypto-peer review process.

Why disrupt 4 overly broad Cannabis patents? No matter where you stand on IP, most people agree that overly broad patent claims stifle the growth of markets. The first issued cannabis patents awarded are excessively broad due to the USPTOs lack of knowledge of the prior art space in a black market. These patents make claims to all CBD+/THC+ plants. By providing a public sequence for growers to compare their pre-patent (2013) strains to, we can build a resource to help substantiate prior art and reduce the scope of these patents.

As a result this project aims to sequence a CBD+/THC+ strain that these patents claim but cannot enforce until federal prohibition ends. The patents don't claim DNA. They claim plants so we are not violating patents by sequencing DNA but we are challenging the ones that exist by making this resource public and enabling growers to challenge these patents with any strains they have that match this sequence and predate the patent dates. This is a freedom play that the cannabis field will cheer on and support.

A few videos on the impact of the recent Cannabis Patents

Make data available with Creative Commons DASH/NEB/Medicinal Genomics attribution license that captures an email for use of the data. We believe in open source but to prevent spam or excessive download costs, capturing an email can limit spam and enrich for true users of the data. These emails will be very enriched for the most advanced and well funded players in the cannabis industry. This is a more targeted way to capture market/mindshare with Twitter, Google, Youtube and Facebook all banning crypto ads.

Accept further Donations in DASH to annotate the Genome. Once the genome is complete, further annotation and display of the data could be crowd sourced with DASH transactions.

Why Should DASH care? DASH is spending millions to crack into the cannabis industry by sponsoring conferences. For fractions of that sponsorship money, DASH could crack the hardest problem in the cannabis field and be speaking about this at those conferences as opposed to having just a booth.

DASH would be shown to not only solve the monetary issues in the field but also the research funding issues, the peer review and publication issues and the scientific challenges that will be key to seed to sale tracking and the seed verification tools being built around genetics.

This greatly differentiates DASH from potcoin, hempcoin, and a dozen other alt-coins pushing into the cannabis market as DASH would be money, peer review, science, and a publication platform.

DASH is a sponsor of CannMed 2018 (I started this conference at Harvard Med School 2 years ago). This 1500 person conference is the premier scientific conference in the field and we could have this project complete for presentation at that October timeframe.

How are we going to do it?
We have organized this project with various parties that have Skin in the Game. NEB is donating sequencing. Medicinal Genomics is not charging any management or overhead fee for organizing and spearheading such a sizeable project.

The Technical deep dive with Budget:
https://www.medicinalgenomics.com/w...nnabis-genome-on-dash-drive_4_4_2018_tech.pdf

Last edited:
@Kevin McKernan - This is a really cool project and idea, and disrupting the skewed "paywall" nature of peer review is a noble goal. Given how heavily invested Dash already is in the Cannabis industry through our partnership with Alt36, this would be a great way of further cementing and popularizing Dash as the preferred payment option and partner for the Cannabis industry.

Out of curiosity, have you been following the development of Dash Evolution, Dash Drive, and our other upcoming advancements? I would be interested to see how your project might make use of these new features of Dash technology, and how it might alter how you carry out your project?

@Kevin McKernan - This is a really cool project and idea, and disrupting the skewed "paywall" nature of peer review is a noble goal. Given how heavily invested Dash already is in the Cannabis industry through our partnership with Alt36, this would be a great way of further cementing and popularizing Dash as the preferred payment option and partner for the Cannabis industry.

Out of curiosity, have you been following the development of Dash Evolution, Dash Drive, and our other upcoming advancements? I would be interested to see how your project might make use of these new features of Dash technology, and how it might alter how you carry out your project?

I would love to learn more about DASH drive. I hear it’s an end of 2018 ETA so we placed some hosting cash in the budget in the event we need to temporarily host the data at Mega.nz or AWS.

I’ve watched a few videos about evolution cube chains and DAPIs but I need to watch those more closely to see how it fits in.

If we could host on DASH drive that would be a very big deal in the Genomics space as the industry is overly centralied at NCBI and it gets shutdown for every budget ceiling debate. Something about putting cannabis DNA into databases funded by the very people funding prohibition doesn’t feel right to me.

@Kevin McKernan -
-- This is probably the best video to watch, pay particular attention to the discussion of Dash Drive and "Data Contracts" (not to be confused with Ethereum "Smart Contracts"). It sounds like it will be a perfect fit for what you're trying to do. As for the regulators and prohibition, I mean, I'm an Anarchist, and I'm not the only one in the community, so you're preaching to the choir there. I think you'll find many sympathetic ears here, even among those of us like myself who are not cannabis users.

@Kevin McKernan -
-- This is probably the best video to watch, pay particular attention to the discussion of Dash Drive and "Data Contracts" (not to be confused with Ethereum "Smart Contracts"). It sounds like it will be a perfect fit for what you're trying to do. As for the regulators and prohibition, I mean, I'm an Anarchist, and I'm not the only one in the community, so you're preaching to the choir there. I think you'll find many sympathetic ears here, even among those of us like myself who are not cannabis users.

The great thing about anarchists is that they support freedom even if it doesn't directly help them. While you may not be a cannabis user today, 1 in 3 people get cancer and 1 in 4 will die with it or from it. The compounds have an incredible impact on Cancer nausea, pain and cachexia. There are 100s of publications on their anti tumor properties as well but we still don't know which tumors should get them. Sequencing these tumors is beginning to chart out which ones benefit from cannabinoids but most studies point to concomitant use of CBD and THC. CBD is anti-proliferative and stalls EMT. THC is apoptotic to quickly growing cells. It red lines mitochondria. Its a bit upsetting that people would try to claim plants that make these two compounds for themselves and pretend its novel. I'm certain they put a lot breeding money into such a project and lawyers expanded the claim set for business purposes but its this claim creep that plagues many patents. For them to believe it is the only way to protect their investment is disappointing. This is a marxist labor theory of value fallacy. Just because you burned a lot of money, doesn't give you a right to a government monopoly. Your flawed biz model isn't my problem. I support defensive use but when I see claim expansion to include the prior art, Im very skeptical of your defensive use arguments. Probably preaching to the choir here as well.

Oh definitely, members of my family were instrumental in getting CBD legalized here in Indiana (we're always the last for everything), I fully recognize the myriad benefits of Cannabis of all strains, just wanted to clarify that I'm in support of the project even though I don't use any of it.

Oh definitely, members of my family were instrumental in getting CBD legalized here in Indiana (we're always the last for everything), I fully recognize the myriad benefits of Cannabis of all strains, just wanted to clarify that I'm in support of the project even though I don't use any of it.
Thank you and your family for your service!

I would like to thank Dovetail Genomics. I sent them the proposal and they offered to have some Skin in the game and provided a 7.2% discount. This is a few DASH and every DASH counts. We appreciate every partner in making this happen. I will likely update the budget as we get closer to the final submission date. I will reach out to other parties and see if we can get more support from the community to make this win-win for everyone.

he

screen-shot-2018-04-09-at-12.31.10-pm.png

The Team at NEB has just run the Pacific Bioscience Sequel Data through the Circular Consensus Sequencing Software (CCS) and very high quality 15Kb reads are emerging. We are already making an impact on the N50 of the genome.

How do you incentivise peer review? How would this work? How do you quantify the quality of the review?

OK so the way I see it, Dash will likely garner loyalty from the cannabis and possibly from the scientific community by helping to pay for the full cannabis genome and later, creating a way to publish scientific papers in an indelible way (noting time and ownership?) by utilizing both the blockchain which stores the hash and Dash Drive to store the actual papers. Thus freeing and decentralizing the business of publishing scientific papers. (without signing away their copyrights) In a lot of ways, this is like Ben Swann who wants to decentralize news.

Both are great ideas, and Dash basically acts as a sponsor and in return receives recognition and exposure. Sounds like a win win to the world.

Only question I have is, is there a way you could "sweeten" the deal and put Dash's name/logo anywhere for exposure? Something more concrete? Do you have a website? I don't even know how you'd do this, but I think it could help get some of the MNOs to vote???

Unfortunately, this will be difficult to get people to understand. Lack of understanding = lack of votes :(

Last edited:
I can simply tell you: WOW.
It is an exciting and intriguing project and although it borders on controversial issues, I believe that making this information available to the public and the scientific / medical community is a contribution to humanity. We like to see the DASH network behind this type of projects that revolutionize and look to the future.
My best wishes and success!

How do you incentivise peer review? How would this work? How do you quantify the quality of the review?

OK so the way I see it, Dash will likely garner loyalty from the cannabis and possibly from the scientific community by helping to pay for the full cannabis genome and later, creating a way to publish scientific papers in an indelible way (noting time and ownership?) by utilizing both the blockchain which stores the hash and Dash Drive to store the actual papers. Thus freeing and decentralizing the business of publishing scientific papers. (without signing away their copyrights) In a lot of ways, this is like Ben Swann who wants to decentralize news.

Both are great ideas, and Dash basically acts as a sponsor and in return receives recognition and exposure. Sounds like a win win to the world.

Only question I have is, is there a way you could "sweeten" the deal and put Dash's name/logo anywhere for exposure? Something more concrete? Do you have a website? I don't even know how you'd do this, but I think it could help get some of the MNOs to vote???

Unfortunately, this will be difficult to get people to understand. Lack of understanding = lack of votes :(

Once again,
Thank you for weighing in here. Its very refreshing to have feedback.
I think DASH should be boldly put on the front page of the landing page for the genome data as its a landmark to see Crypto Fund science the government wont fund. This should not be a small little logo in the corner. The entire theme of the project should be about how disruptive Crypto is because it can make things like this happen.

The License to use the data will be Creative Commons with Attributions to DASH and the other parties that have already donated Resources and time (NEB, MGC etc). We are proposing to ask for an email for downloading the data as an anti spam and intelligence gathering measure.

I also want to sweeten this 4 ways
1)Get better discounts from the vendors to have this a 5 month project not a 6 month project to shave 20-25% off the project costs and shorten the window. This may get us a 50X better genome instead of 100X better genome but sometimes perfect is the enemy of good when funds are tight.
2)I will present on the project at the Broad Institute/MIT in Cambridge Ma on May 18th if this gets funded. I am already lined up as a speaker there and this is one of the most influential Biomedical Institutions in the world. https://www.gexcsymposia.com/?lightbox=dataItem-jdkfmfu84
3)Present on this at Society for In Vitro Biology in June: https://sivb.org/meetings/home/scientific-program-3.html
4)Present on this at CannMed 2018 in October. I have another tentative speaking engagement in August this could be showcased at as well.

I have 2 podcasts lined up in April to speak about this on the Tatiana Show and FutureTech Podcast.
Open to other ways to get DASH more exposure for such a project.

As for the quality of the Peer Review- While this project will demonstrate that this possible by expanding on what the Kratom Genome Project did with RAIDreviews.org (https://kratomdna.org/?page_id=474) we think the best way to manage this is to have ratings and comments on the page that hosts the peer review so the market can weigh in and rate the reviewers. Much like UBER drivers or other online reputation systems, we find that when people have to put their name on the review, they sharpen the pencil. You can see this at 2 of the publication we put into F1000. The reviewers names are on the review and they each write a well referenced and thorough reviews. These were not Crypto incentivized and took months. The Kratom Genome Project was reviewed in 4 days over a weekend as the person dedicated their full attention to it. This time contraction on Peer review is game changer.

If we can get science funded by crypto in a few months, performed in a few months and reviewed in a few days, we have just compressed a 3 year project into 6 months as 2/3rd of science is applying for funding and waiting on peer review. This rapidly accelerates the rate of human discovery, the rate of information sharing and the rate at which society advances as a whole.

https://f1000research.com/articles/5-2471/v1
https://f1000research.com/articles/4-1422/v2

So how did this work before?

1)I post a bounty on Linked in for people to apply as a crypto re-viewer. Over 35 people replied in 24hours very interested in working for BTC.

$500 upfront and $500 (paid in DASH) on the completion of the work. Reviewer agrees to be named and that they are not reviewing their own work.
Initially we will have a review on the assembly of the data to confirm we are not sequencing bananas but in fact are sequencing cannabis and the assembly parameters are improving compared to the 2011 references published.

All communication is hashed and stashed on DASH with stampd.io. No censorship allowed.

2)Leave Comments on and collect reputation points for the reviewer.

We will also likely submit a paper to an open source journal like F1000 to get a comparison to the process there. The topic will have to have some unique elements we discover in the data for the journal to not just see us as republishing what we already put public but this will serve as a proxy for quality on data being generated from the same project.

It should be noted that this is a one off attempt. This could become an entire business model like Trive.news and this proposal will not be able to mature this concept to broader adoption but it will demonstrate that it is possible and that DASH is unique in that is has all of the pieces to do this (drive space, notarization and currency). This will augment Benns work as DASH becomes known as a truth engine.

Last edited:
I can simply tell you: WOW.
It is an exciting and intriguing project and although it borders on controversial issues, I believe that making this information available to the public and the scientific / medical community is a contribution to humanity. We like to see the DASH network behind this type of projects that revolutionize and look to the future.
My best wishes and success!

Thank you for the encouragement.
Im intrigued by AgroCognitive and will now have to read your proposal!

OK, so crypto will soon cure AIDs and cancer at that kind of rate!!! LOL, I see the big picture and this could possibly even put a nail in the coffin of Big Pharma? If we can get it to scale and be self sustaining somehow.??

OK, so crypto will soon cure AIDs and cancer at that kind of rate!!! LOL, I see the big picture and this could possibly even put a nail in the coffin of Big Pharma? If we can get it to scale and be self sustaining somehow.??

Do you know David Mondrose at Trive.news? He was just on Ernest Hancock radio explaining a very similar crypto incentivized tool for truth in news. Ive followed their work quite a bit. I will reach out and see if he is aware of DASH Drive. It may make sense for him to use DASH as the backbone for what he is building. They look like they are positioned well to scale it. I can see Peer Review going the same direction. I will also reach out to some colleagues at PLOS (Michael Eisen). They may be intrigued by this approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back