Paper: Transaction Locking and Masternode Consensus

eduffield

Core Developer
Mar 9, 2014
This paper introduces a new concept called transaction locking and masternode consensus. This technology will allow for crypto-currencies such as Darkcoin to compete with nearly instantaneous transaction systems such as credit cards for point-of-sale situations while not relying on a centralized authority. If successful, such an idea could revolutionize cryptocurrency, by shortening the delay in confirmation of transactions from as long as an hour (with Bitcoin) to as little as twenty seconds

Full paper can be read at the link below:
https://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/InstantTX.pdf

droptable

May 27, 2014
...starting to read...

thx for your work

edit:
...and everyone involved in this. thx

Last edited by a moderator:

thelonecrouton

Foundation Member
Apr 15, 2014
Awesome stuff! It will be interesting to see what effect if any this has on MN min specs - first thoughts are that RAM and CPU are going to take more of a beating than currently, maybe bandwidth too, although I don't see it being a drastic increase.

Stealth923

Foundation Member
Mar 9, 2014
Can we please get this out to PR web or similar. Coindesk wired. Bbc cnn reuters. You name it lol

Reactions: mastermined

stonehedge

Foundation Member
Jul 31, 2014
Congratulations Evan, Holger and Fernando. Mind blowingly simple and the potential is huge. I'm awestruck.

Reactions: mastermined

stonehedge

Foundation Member
Jul 31, 2014
Awesome stuff! It will be interesting to see what effect if any this has on MN min specs - first thoughts are that RAM and CPU are going to take more of a beating than currently, maybe bandwidth too, although I don't see it being a drastic increase.
The potential for masternodes being used for additional services is the reason I tend to overspec.

TaoOfSatoshi

Grizzled Member
Jul 15, 2014
Dash Nation
www.dashnation.com
This paper introduces a new concept called transaction locking and masternode consensus. This technology will allow for crypto-currencies such as Darkcoin to compete with nearly instantaneous transaction systems such as credit cards for point-of-sale situations while not relying on a centralized authority. If successful, such an idea could revolutionize cryptocurrency, by shortening the delay in confirmation of transactions from as long as an hour (with Bitcoin) to as little as twenty seconds

Full paper can be read at the link below:
https://www.darkcoin.io/downloads/InstantTX.pdf
All that should be said is "Brilliant".

Tao

#getintothedark

tungfa

Administrator
Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Apr 9, 2014
Sounds Amazing !
Great work, thank you guys.

I might need a "translation" (into simple language)
please !

I understand 'instant transactions' ... and then ?
can somebody please pm me !?
tx

Reactions: fernando

Probe

May 28, 2014
Why we need blockchain, when we can use Locking ?

Minotaur

Foundation Member
Apr 7, 2014
This is great! It will put Darkcoin on a whole different level. I am so happy.

Reactions: fernando

kryptofoo

Jul 21, 2014
Germany
Why we need blockchain, when we can use Locking ?
Looks like only last 24h of records of locked transactions will be stored by clients, so blockchain is still needed as a ledger. Also in rare case when masternodes fail to come to consensus on locking, instant tx will fall back to normal proof of work recording. Because we would have instant tx, the block target can be increased to 10 minutes to reduce bloat.

Edit: half talking out my arse though because I need to reread the paper twice more to grasp in its entirety.

Light

Foundation Member
Jun 4, 2014
This new development has the potential to change the game.

I have a question about transaction limit. If I am not mistaken, currently bitcoin has 7 transactions per second limit. If Darkcoin is going to compete with credit cards, how will this new development affect Darkcoin's transaction limit per second?

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
Sounds Amazing !
Great work, thank you guys.

I might need a "translation" (into simple language)
please !

I understand 'instant transactions' ... and then ?
can somebody please pm me !?
tx
It just means your transactions go through very fast almost instantly and there's no chance for an attacker to accomplish any double spending. That's what I understand.

Reactions: tungfa

fernando