Nominate Projects for the Developer Bounty Fund. #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vertoe

Three of Nine
Mar 28, 2014
Unimatrix Zero One
I think we need more developer power and we should try to realize some projects via bounties.

I suggest the following procedure:
  1. Nominating projects within 7 days. Name your most wanted darkcoin project and I will compile a list.
  2. Voting for projects within 7 days here on DCT.
  3. Raising funds for the selected project from the community (and maybe the foundation?) and research potential developers and estimate requirements and define specifications to claim the bounty.
  4. The first who realizes everything required for the selected project gets the bounty.
All bounty-funded projects must be open source!

I personally nominate
  • Electrum-DRK 2.0 (w/ BIP44 TREZOR support)
  • Multisignature Webwallet (BIP32 HD wallet, similar to bitgo.com)
  • Insight-DRK Blockexplorer (including insight-drk, insight-drk-api, darkcore)
Please do not nominate more than three projects, we can only realize one project at a time.
Please do not nominate projects which are already nominated, this is no vote yet.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current list of nominations:
  • Electrum-DRK Wallet
  • Multibit-DRK Wallet
  • Armory-DRK Wallet
  • Multisignature Webwallet
  • Insight-DRK Live Blockexplorer

Last edited by a moderator:

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
I would like to nominate
  • MultiDRK wallet. Afaik the multibit HD is not available yet but it's been an ongoing project and will be something DRK can adopt when it's ready. I think it's a nice light-weight HD wallet for mainstream and be useful when DRK block chain becomes larger and larger.
Quote from https://github.com/bitcoin-solutions/multibit-hd
"MultiBit HD (MBHD)
A desktop Hierarchical Deterministic Wallet (HDW) for Bitcoin using the Simplified Payment Verification (SPV) mode to provide very fast blockchain synchronization.

The target audience is "international mainstream" which compels the user interface to remain as simple and consistent as possible while still retaining advanced capabilities under the covers.

Support for external hardware wallets (such as the Trezor) is available through the MultiBit Hardware project."

Their site: https://multibit.org/blog/2014/08/13/multibit-hd-is-now-open-source.html

pbleak

May 15, 2014
Electrum DRK for me. I use only Electrum and it's the one coin I can't do this with.

oblox

Aug 6, 2014
"Please do not nominate projects which are already nominated, this is no vote yet."

Reactions: tungfa

pbleak

May 15, 2014
Sorry I mean electrum DRK without the need for BIP44 TREZOR support.

fernando

Powered by Dash
Foundation Member
May 9, 2014
sorry i do not understand ?
He means that the Core wallet is maintained by the Core Devs (like it happens with BTC) and this is for other projects outside of that.

Edit: This means that this fund is not being set up to pay the Core Devs for the work they are already doing, this is for new work done by any developer

Reactions: tungfa and vertoe

vertoe

Three of Nine
Mar 28, 2014
Unimatrix Zero One
He means that the Core wallet is maintained by the Core Devs (like it happens with BTC) and this is for other projects outside of that.

Edit: This means that this fund is not being set up to pay the Core Devs for the work they are already doing, this is for new work done by any developer
To pay the core devs we need to find another solution ;-)
Yes, this is for additional projects.

Reactions: fernando and tungfa

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
sorry i do not understand ?
tungfa , think of some toys for DRK! Some really cool, badass toys! :D

Our core devs on the dev team are taking care of the Darkcoin Core stuff, but we need more devs to do more innovation and now is your chance to think what you would like to see happen! :D

tungfa

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Masternode Owner/Operator
Apr 9, 2014
:sad:

Edit:
i do not want to derail this thread so i let this be
thats why fernando

Last edited by a moderator:

moli

Grizzled Member
Aug 5, 2014
- Redesign of QT Wallet
(Revamp this Thread)
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/enhanced-darkcoin-wallet-ui.1705/page-17#post-33877

Mainstream adoption needs some color and a good (visual) wallet
Mainstream adoption needs a light-weight, easy-to-use wallet that may or may not have DS and MN features. I prefer no DS and MN, something simple for users who just want a wallet to spend their money on a betting site or any shopping store. And the Hierarchical Deterministic feature will be a plus to help them if they lose their passwords.

tungfa

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Apr 9, 2014
Masternode Monitoring App for Mac/PC - iOS / Android

Aswan

Jun 26, 2014
I'd like to see some work regarding blockchain pruning. It's on the protocol level (if we do not want it to be centralized), yet it is not a direct work on the core client, so does this count? :p

vertoe

Three of Nine
Mar 28, 2014
Unimatrix Zero One
vertoe Is the official wallet new GUI part of the core devs responsibility and thus not part of this initiative?
It's a conflict of interest I try to avoid. I dont want the community to pay the core devs for doing stuff.

I dont want to put things off the list, so if you really want that GUI so hard, I can put it on the list, but yeah, that's in my eyes not scope of this initiative and responsibility of the core team. (and, the protocol also is. :p)

bhkien

Mar 31, 2014
Canada
vietriches.com
I'd like to see some work regarding blockchain pruning. It's on the protocol level (if we do not want it to be centralized), yet it is not a direct work on the core client, so does this count? :p
Yes. I imagine it works somewhat like our masternodes. A decentralize wallet protocol which gives some incentives for user who keep full blockchain but on the other hand it gives novice users a light-weight, quickly and easy to use wallet.

I believe with that way we will create huge opportunities for futher development and add more value to Darkcoin eco-system. Because the light-weight wallet can port to mobile app and web.

Reactions: moli

bhkien

Mar 31, 2014
Canada
vietriches.com
Yes. I imagine it works somewhat like our masternodes. A decentralize wallet protocol which gives some incentives for user who keep full blockchain but on the other hand it gives novice users a light-weight, quickly and easy to use wallet.

I believe with that way we will create huge opportunities for futher development and add more value to Darkcoin eco-system. Because the light-weight wallet can port to mobile app and web.

tungfa

Grizzled Member
Foundation Member
Apr 9, 2014

double posting is cheating !
;)

Aswan

Jun 26, 2014

That is how SPV clients work. A lightweight client that only gets the info it actually needs from nodes.
However, this comes with a drawback in safety compared to having the full chain. It is what I meant when I said that if has to be on the protocol level it we do not want it centralized.

yidakee

Foundation Member
Apr 16, 2014
Kick-ass animated info-video in the lines of "What is Bitcoin" for the masses.

But I agree this is not priority at all. Implementation is key. If anyone gets bitcoin they'd get dark, but PR is always PR.

Reactions: tungfa

Minotaur

Foundation Member
Apr 7, 2014
It's a conflict of interest I try to avoid. I dont want the community to pay the core devs for doing stuff.

I dont want to put things off the list, so if you really want that GUI so hard, I can put it on the list, but yeah, that's in my eyes not scope of this initiative and responsibility of the core team. (and, the protocol also is. :p)
I hear you, I think having a list of the things we would like to have is a good idea. As far as paying for those developments, I honestly think we can't afford it. Maybe we can take the coins we have available divide them between all the projects and whoever volunteers to tackle one off the list can have a symbolic recognition for their contribution.

If we do it like that I don't think anyone's feelings will get hurt. Trying to pay market price for those developments would be unaffordable at the moment and a route I don't think we want to take, but I need to think a little bit more about this one, it is a complex issue.

Reactions: moli

jpr

May 11, 2014
Is it only wallets we can vote for? :D
I vote for a decentralized poker rooms built on our 2000 masternode army, where you can of course play DRK only.

Reactions: splawik21

splawik21

Dash Core Team
Foundation Member
Dash Support Group
Apr 8, 2014
Exchange incorporated into wallet handled by the MNs network.
Fees from it goes to the MNs operators + foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.