• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

New Bitcoin wallet with a different solution to dead change

fernando

Powered by Dash
Foundation Member
In this article in Brave New Coin they talk about a new Bitcoin wallet, Samourai, that has some nice features around privacy and security:
http://bravenewcoin.com/news/bitcoins-dark-wallet-has-a-new-challenger-samourai/

It looks like they try to mimic some Dark Wallet features, but they do the mixing in a different way that looks like have into consideration the dead change problem Aswan detected and eduffield + UdjinM6 solved. Besides the post that is linked in the article about how they do it, they have published another one after that in which they give some more information:
http://blog.samouraiwallet.com/

They don't fully describe, but apparently what they do is divide the change into a random number of transactions, randomize their order and avoid using two of them in any future transaction together. I think our change contracts with atomic transfers are better, but this is also nice.

I see no mixing there at all... The moment you spend this change (no matter was it split to pieces or not) you link back to your original address and to
1) spending address in that tx
2) all other change pieces i.e. other (future) spendings...
Or am I missing smth?... :confused:

Btw we can implement the same algo for non-DS transactions (split change to pieces and mix them) but I honestly don't see the point yet, that changes nothing imo...

I see no mixing there at all... The moment you spend this change (no matter was it split to pieces or not) you link back to your original address and to
1) spending address in that tx
2) all other change pieces i.e. other (future) spendings...
Or am I missing smth?... :confused:

Btw we can implement the same algo for non-DS transactions (split change to pieces and mix them) but I honestly don't see the point yet, that changes nothing imo...

You are right, I read too fast and I had assumed that this change splitting was done when sending already mixed funds, but the only reference to mixing is made by the journalist. They don't mention it anywhere in their website, so it looks like splitting change is the only thing they do for privacy :confused:. I guess it is better than Coinbase, but nothing to learn from them!

Back