• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

multisignature addresses for MNs

orangecycle

Foundation Member
I just tried to get multisignature addresses working for MNs on testnet, but was unable to start the MN because the funds could not be found/allocated.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to use multisignature for my own MNs, but more importantly, I host a number of MNs for individuals who don't want to manage a server. Putting their funds in a 2 of 3 multisignature where they hold 2 of the keys seems like it would allow for trustless hosting of MNs.

Anybody have thoughts about what it would take to allow MNs to use multisignature wallets?

MN with multisignature address is not supported yet on protocol level, maybe something for 0.11.2.x

MN with multisignature address is not supported yet on protocol level, maybe something for 0.11.2.x
I am wondering myself, this should be trivial to implement. How is the masternode checking for an vin?

I am wondering myself, this should be trivial to implement. How is the masternode checking for an vin?
Sure, code changes should be trivial, the bigger problem will be that you have to sign the dsee message with all n-private keys - which is a pain in the ass...

Sure, code changes should be trivial, the bigger problem will be that you have to sign the dsee message with all n-private keys - which is a pain in the ass...
i thought the messages are signed with a different key?

i thought the messages are signed with a different key?
As far as i know the messages are signed with two keys: one of the vin (to prove you own it) and one of the node (masternodeprivkey, again to prove you own it). UdjinM6 may prove me wrong :)

but if you have a cold/remote setup, the masternode does not know the privkey of the vin. Else there would be no point of running a remote setup. maybe eduffield could comment on this too.

multisig is the future, we should consider it.

but if you have a cold/remote setup, the masternode does not know the privkey of the vin. Else there would be no point of running a remote setup. maybe eduffield could comment on this too.

multisig is the future, we should consider it.
You dont need the privkey to check the validity of a signature, just the pubkey...

Initial message - dsee - is signed with private key holding (collateral) 1000 DRK and contains remote ip, collateral pubkey, MN pubkey (which corresponds to masternodeprivkey) and protocol number. dsee is sent by local client and this way whole network aware of pubkey associations and legitimacy of vin. All other messages will be signed by masternodeprivkey and can be verified by network because of that first association.

Back