• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Modeling the Dash/Masternode price relationship

Sub-Ether

I am trying to create a model for the connection between the masternode count, volatility and price movements using a variably damped multiloop feedback system based on amplifier theory, this as as far as I've got.
Am wondering what have I missed, there must be more than this to more accurately complete the simulation.

Theoretical Definition of economic stability (wikipedia)

''A financial system is stable when it dissipates financial imbalances that arise endogenously or as a result of significant adverse and unforeseeable events. When stable, the system absorbs shocks primarily via self-corrective mechanisms, preventing the adverse events from disrupting the real economy or spread over to other financial systems. Financial stability is paramount for economic growth, as most transactions in the real economy are made through the financial system.''

So, if the positive feedback is stronger than the sum of the negatives then the price will continue northwards.
The closer the positive feedback is to zero, the more the Dash price will drop (too many Dash for sale, market flooded, not enough buyers),
positive feedback should have a suggested value <= 1 for continuation of current price.

This is a typical state machine as an example,
It contains a feedback loop inside another feedback loop, perhaps smaller market dynamics(daily trading) inside the bigger picture over a longer timespan ?

Typical_State_Space_model.png

Suggested Dash Model(using 6 feedback loops in parallel)

Lightly damped negative feedback

a) price goes up a small amount, masternoders/miners dump small change surplus, price goes back down to norm.
b) price goes down, market and masternodes use fiat/btc surplus to buy more nodes, price return upto norm.

Heavily damped negative feedback

c) price goes up by a large amount outside of trendlines, masternoders dump entire nodes onto the market.
Result: faster return to norm with increased undershoot which helped by (a)
d) price does down by a large amount, potential masternode owners consider entering the market and buy in large amounts.
Result: a quick return to baseline price due to the yield of ~16% still being the ROI=16% of the amount invested as a new buyer.

Positive (regenerative) feedback

e) Dash scarcity caused by hoarding, producing a price increase which is limited by whether the positive gain is higher than the combined effect of the sum of the negative feedbacks, regenerative feedback acts a price multiplier(measured by amount left on market not in nodes)

f) masternode count increasing (removing Dash from the market)
note: if the masternode count is reducing, then (f) tend towards 0,
and if masternode count is unchanged then (f) = 1

Price Stability

The price is more stable when the overall gain is less than 1.
Stability <= gain(x)

Potential chaotic states

When (e)*(f) >> (a)+(b)+(c)+(d) this will result in runaway price increases
When (e)*(f) << (a)+(b)+(c)+(d) this will result in large price drops.

Price near stable states

If the positive feedback is slightly less than the sum of the negative feedback loop inputs, the price will dip a little.
If the positive feedback is slightly more than the sum of the negative feedback loop inputs, the price will rise.
The more net negative feedback, the less 'noise' will be produced due to increased dampening, meaning increased stability and faster return to norm.

Fixed price with noise

If the positive feedback = sum of the negative feedbacks then spurious but baseline norm price movements are predicted,
where (e)+(f) = (a)+(b)+(c)+(d)

Did I miss something, there is probably more variables than this involved, looks like a bit of differential calculus will have to brought in to finish it off (yeeks!)

thoughts anyone ?
:smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_equilibrium_theory

Last edited by a moderator:
:confused: Too much for this dummy... LOL
The short version :grin: ..

Increased negative feedback makes the price more stable (picture a limiter being turned up on a PA sound system)
Increased positive feedback makes the price more unstable (picture a microphone placed next to a speaker)

If the positive feedback is greater than the negative, the price will go up and vice versa, acting as opposing forces :smile:

The short version :grin: ..

Increased negative feedback makes the price more stable (picture a limiter being turned up on a PA sound system)
Increased positive feedback makes the price more unstable (picture a microphone placed next to a speaker)

If the positive feedback is greater than the negative, the price will go up and vice versa, acting as opposing forces :smile:
Ohhh, that makes sense, and in an easy to understand way. Thanks! :grin:

Hopefully someone who is on the same level as you mathematics-wise will have more to contribute here...:sad:

Hey,
This is not my specialty, but shouldn't the model include considerations of demand?

Sorry if I missed something.

Pablo.

Hey,
This is not my specialty, but shouldn't the model include considerations of demand?

Sorry if I missed something.

Pablo.
Demand should be covered by (e) = general coin hoarding, and (f) = masternode 1k stake hoarding

I guess it depends how you define demand, do you call mass usage/liquidity as demand or do you call keeping coins back(off market) as a potential income, demand?
Look at bitcoin and how it is used commercially, wouldn't you say that almost all of the bitcoins are immediately flipped into fiat after the transaction by the company involved, after all why hold onto them when there is no ROI, and the price could go down ?

Bitcoin and Dash both have 2500~3500 mined per day, this is an inflationary aspect of a none fixed amount of coin supply.

Dash has a different supply and demand model because, consider if there only 6 million coins and we have 5900 masternodes, then only 100,000 are in circulation and as long as no one sells, the coins will be rare and should increase in value(opposite true if node count goes down)
Also because Dash has a ROI ~16%, it does not matter so much to the masternode holder's profit if the coin goes down 10% per year because they still clear 6%, where as hoarding a load of bitcoin, you will still be 10% down by the end of the year.

Conversely:-

If the Dash price goes up, you will have the 16% ROI added to the original stake, thus forming 'compound interest', and also owning 10 masternodes can become owning 11 masternodes, so there is added postive feedback resulting in a re-scaled ROI (higher net income, same 16%)
Bitcoin is more like a one off payment 'simple interest' model, where you only get 1 rise from your initial investment.

Possible Caveats

There are exceptions such as the bitcoin blocksize halving next year, which will lessen the price pressure downwards via mining, but look at litecoin which has that happened to recently, and the price has not moved much really (small step rise predicted?)

Btw,I appreciate your feedback, Pablo, I know you like to understand how the markets work :cool:

I'm guessing you're familiar with the Phillips hydraulic computer? I'm guessing it raised similar questions during its development and translating from hydraulic to electronic circuits is fairly straight forward.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MONIAC_Computer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_macroeconomics

One of Terry Pratchetts books brought my attention to it :) In more recent times economologists seem to have moved from hydraulic models to gaseous models so either economics have reached boiling point or they're more comfortable talking hot air ;)

I'm guessing you're familiar with the Phillips hydraulic computer? I'm guessing it raised similar questions during its development and translating from hydraulic to electronic circuits is fairly straight forward.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MONIAC_Computer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_macroeconomics

One of Terry Pratchetts books brought my attention to it :) In more recent times economologists seem to have moved from hydraulic models to gaseous models so either economics have reached boiling point or they're more comfortable talking hot air ;)
Haha, hot air sums up a lot of western governments/economies, not heard of that philips hydraulic computer although its a fitting analogy because physical gas/liquid analogue models incorporate a chaotic state naturally, and surely any machine mapping enonomics must have a breakdown point where everything goes random, chaotic and unpredictable.

O btw, I love Terry Pratchett, read about 30 of his books, he was great at applying physics ideas to Discworld in a humourous way that educated at the same time (RIP Terry)

Haha, hot air sums up a lot of western governments/economies, not heard of that philips hydraulic computer although its a fitting analogy because physical gas/liquid analogue models incorporate a chaotic state naturally, and surely any machine mapping enonomics must have a breakdown point where everything goes random, chaotic and unpredictable.

Lol, we're looking at it :) We solved Weimar Germanys problem of not being able to pump physical notes out fast enough by going digital so now we get to see what happens when we can pump to infinity. Hydraulics are an interesting way of looking at it, never gone into them much but I'd imagine pressure should play a big role. Pumping wall Street full of QE has caused an area of high pressure and little of it gets out and I'd imagine the entire economy could be viewed that way, like isobars on a weather map, low pressure in the east end of London, higher in the west end, Germany high, Spain low, etc. Hadn't really thought about the chaotic aspect but it could be very significant and indicative of potential problems or markets.

RIP indeed, sorely missed. Read all his book and some of them many times, a genious and that really shone through with the science series, not often you can say a science book is hard to put down :) Took a while to get used to his later novels, a big change of direction and with lots hidden in the background. Never quite got my head around "Making Money", either there's something hidden there I'm not seeing or he's pointing out the ridiculousness of the process, could just be "backed by 'because we say so' and we've got a bloody great army of invincible golumns" though ;)

Back