• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

MN setup issues on a VPN

RTD

Background.

So that I can run the MN on my own hardware on the end of a retail DSL link, I purchased a static IP VPN - I want physical control of all my nodes.. (rather than depending on a VPS)

SO - to the rest of the world the remote end of the link has a static IP address. The end on my Linux has some 10.x.x.x address, but the service provider is doing transparent masquerading to mangle the source address in packets from my end.

That causes some startup problems with the masternode. It fails with a 'NOT CAPABLE: cannot connect to x.x.x.x:9999' error because the other end of the VPN does not reflect outgoing traffic back to this end...

My work around.
in src/activemasternode.cpp at about line 190, I put a dummy #ifdef around the test to suppress this check

recompile/install

Then I get a different error message:

"Broadcasted IP doesn't match our external address. Make sure you issued a new broadcast if IP of this masternode changed recently."

Obviously none of the interfaces in this system is actually the 'externalip' I have in the config file.. so this test will always fail.

My work around.
in src/activemasternode.cpp at about line 244, I put a dummy #ifdef around the test to suppress this check

recompile/install

The result now is:

dash@m4 ~ $ dash-cli mnsync status
{
"AssetID": 999,
"AssetName": "MASTERNODE_SYNC_FINISHED",
"Attempt": 0,
"IsBlockchainSynced": true,
"IsMasternodeListSynced": true,
"IsWinnersListSynced": true,
"IsSynced": true,
"IsFailed": false
}
dash@m4 ~ $ dash-cli masternode status
{
"vin": "CTxIn(COutPoint(d8c6deab54c2e6d4b4d54fc16e1ea2906c0a83f9b875b14ce128ac1ff4d00a1c, 0), scriptSig=)",
"service": "109.169.3.24:9999",
"payee": "Xx7ArYyruXb3G5MZ19UaAJnrdJnAg9JJ9G",
"status": "Masternode successfully started"
}
dash@m4 ~ $

My node node is chattering to other masternodes and keeping the blockchain in syn.......

But my node which should be active on 109.169.3.47 is not in the list given by 'dash-cli masternode list addr'

Does anyone know how I tell if it is really active?

Last edited:
I have just noticed that the status shows: "service": "109.169.3.24:9999", .... a different address. using whatismyipaddress.com from this box shows it as 109.169.3.47 .....

Aghhh - a typo in the masternode.conf file on my PC wallet....

Back