• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Made a Rookie Mistake: Asking for Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

COBETCKNN17

Hi Dash Community,

I got excited to buy Dash last week and I was so hasty that I hadn't set up a Dash Wallet before using Changelly to convert it into Dash. I foolishly used Dash Paper Wallet, believing this would create a Wallet for me. The service doesn't actually set up a wallet for users.

Creating a Paper Wallet, I went to Changelly and submitted a conversion from BTC to Dash. Changelly processed the conversion, but it stored the Dash into a Wallet that didn't exist. I contact support and obtained the recipient address. Now I have it. I figured the next step would be to set up this wallet. So I downloaded electrum-dash, but now I can't connect to the server and receive it from Changelly. See attachment.

What should my next course of action be guys?

Thank you world!

- Felix

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 2.10.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 2.10.24 PM.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 100
?
u want to set up a wallet to an address u do not have in your wallet ?
sorry - that does not work - otherwise anybody could pick any if the top 10 wallets claim them to be yours and run with some bodies funds !

maybe others can ship on here but i do not see any way to claim an address not belonging to u !

double checked with tech pro:
If you have a paper wallet - there is a private key to import into dash core via importprivkey command. If you only copied address and never saved his paper wallet - there is no way to recreate it !!

Edit 2
Your wallet is showing as "watch only" - meaning , you have no access to the wallet, as no private key ! u can not create a wallet after the fact that the receiving address was created (based on that - or something :rolleyes:)

edit 3
`Xv9UqkPKf4C1MX1N1RGMKJa7W8YxMbnRt2` is tour address. import privkey into that paper wallet or electrum wallet
do you have a private key ? (sorry am totally confused by now)

FYI
LMVxl6C.png

Last edited:
Hi @COBETCKNN17

Do you have a clear understanding of the difference between a public key/address and a private key? It's OK if you don't -- it can be a tricky concept to a new person -- but it is very important.

Your paper wallet is essentially a printout of your private key. It is VERY important that that stays private. Lose or share the private key, you lose your funds.

In addition to your private key is a public key. The public key is what you use to send funds into your wallet. That can be shared.

If you want to spend the money in your paper wallet, you need to import the private key from your paper wallet into the electrum-dash wallet.

You should be able to add the private key from your paper wallet to a normal wallet. I have only ever done this with Dash-Qt, not electrum. I am sure they will give instructions on the Dash Electrum website.

You should be able to add the private key from your paper wallet to a normal wallet. I have only ever done this with Dash-Qt, not electrum. I am sure they will give instructions on the Dash Electrum website.
The problem is that it looks like he didn't save the private key, so he can't import it :(

Hi again,

Thank you to everyone who replied. I recovered my private key. Now I want to request the funds using Electrum-Dash, which I now have synchronized. I have the hash information with Dash Block Explorer. I have the Inputs and the Output, including the From Address and the To Address. What do I put in the label?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 2.00.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-03-27 at 2.00.47 PM.png
    338.4 KB · Views: 90
Hi again,

Thank you to everyone who replied. I recovered my private key. Now I want to request the funds using Electrum-Dash, which I now have synchronized. I have the hash information with Dash Block Explorer. I have the Inputs and the Output, including the From Address and the To Address. What do I put in the label?
The screenshot you have uploaded is not Electrum-Dash. It is Dash Core, so I'll assume that is what you have.

In order to import the paper wallet, you need to go to the console, you can't do it in the receive tab:

Tools > Debug Console > Console

There you need to type:
Code:
importprivkey YOUR-PRIVATE-KEY-HERE

It will rescan the blockchain and your balance will be updated. You can see an expanded explanation here:
https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/importing-private-keys-from-paper-wallet-solved.6206/

Considering that you can't be sure your private key has not been exposed (you lost control over it), I would create a new address in the Receive tab and send all funds to that one (private keys are per address, not per wallet, if you create a new address that one has its own private key).

Also, please don't forget to encrypt (menu Settings) and backup (menu File) you wallet!!!!

didn't save the private key
smh
I recovered my private key.
[sigh]
Now I want to request the funds using Electrum-Dash, which I now have synchronized.
LOLWUT? You sure you're sober enough for this job? Sounds like core/QT, not electrum...
What do I put in the label?
Nothing. Anything. It's jsut a label. Do you really mean to tell us that you don't know what the label is for?

I realize this was titled "rookie mistake" but this is not a rookie mistake. This is being so clueless that you're a danger to yourself an others. A rookie at least has some kind of clue what he's doing. You definitely do not. Please get one before you end up seriously boned.

If you're going to put your money in the computer, you damn well better learn how to computer.

I hope you learn from this. If you don't you're going to lose a lot of money someday. It's nice that people helped you out, but there were at least a half-dozen things you did wrong that simple common-sense would have prevented.

You could still lose it if you leave it on that exposed privkey. The only reason the money is still your's is because everyone here is really nice, or too clueless to take it for themselves.

I currently hold in my hand the ability to take it from you. Never store your privkeys in plaintext... Pictures of a privkey as a QR code... And email them around for convenience... With unencrypted pop... You really need to learn how to computer.

Last edited:
@camosoul,
You have the ability to take it from me? Go ahead and do it.
Amazing how you go and actually spend time to read this post and to troll. This forum is for connecting newcomers to people who can help. Trolling is a waste of time.
Keep trolling bro.

smh

[sigh]

LOLWUT? You sure you're sober enough for this job? Sounds like core/QT, not electrum...

Nothing. Anything. It's jsut a label. Do you really mean to tell us that you don't know what the label is for?

I realize this was titled "rookie mistake" but this is not a rookie mistake. This is being so clueless that you're a danger to yourself an others. A rookie at least has some kind of clue what he's doing. You definitely do not. Please get one before you end up seriously boned.

If you're going to put your money in the computer, you damn well better learn how to computer.

I hope you learn from this. If you don't you're going to lose a lot of money someday. It's nice that people helped you out, but there were at least a half-dozen things you did wrong that simple common-sense would have prevented.

You could still lose it if you leave it on that exposed privkey. The only reason the money is still your's is because everyone here is really nice, or too clueless to take it for themselves.

I currently hold in my hand the ability to take it from you. Never store your privkeys in plaintext... Pictures of a privkey as a QR code... And email them around for convenience... With unencrypted pop... You really need to learn how to computer.

Help or don't post. Insulting people is not necessary. Wouldn't your time be better spent doing something else? Or is trolling your main hobby?

Help or don't post. Insulting people is not necessary. Wouldn't your time be better spent doing something else? Or is trolling your main hobby?
Shove it, pal. I'd like it to serve as a signpost to others; get you shit together before you make a huge mistake, lose money, and then go blaming...

I don't have to do what you want. It serves a use; a warning to others. Be triggered on someone else's clock, snowflake.

Everything critical and useful for a purpose other than the original intent is a troll. You cryptotard jerks are the worst bunch of so-called "people" I've ever known...

This community has worked hard to earn my contempt. Most of you don't even deserve to call yourselves people. I look forward to the "revolution" you think you're bringing, so I can hunt you down and kill you.

Last edited:
Everything critical and useful for a purpose other than the original intent is a troll. You cryptotard jerks are the worst bunch of so-called "people" I've ever known...

This community has worked hard to earn my contempt. Most of you don't even deserve to call yourselves people. I look forward to the "revolution" you think you're bringing, so I can hunt you down and kill you.
You have no place here. I am ignoring you.

“A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you.”
- C.S. Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back