• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Linux QT Wallet Unresponsive

Propulsion

The buck stops here.
I have the latest version of the daemon installed. 10.*.*.

For some reason, the QT wallet is completely unresponsive and max's out the CPU on my computer. The 9.*.* version never gave me an issue before. I've tried building from source and also flare's precompiled version.

The regular daemon (bash) seems to work fine with no hangups. I'm entirely lost on why the QT version is causing such issues for me. As it is now, it's impossible to use.

Any help would be appreciated in debugging why I'm having these issues with it.

System Specs:
64 bit Linux Mint
8gb ram
Raid 1 128GB

I have the latest version of the daemon installed. 10.*.*.

For some reason, the QT wallet is completely unresponsive and max's out the CPU on my computer. The 9.*.* version never gave me an issue before. I've tried building from source and also flare's precompiled version.

The regular daemon (bash) seems to work fine with no hangups. I'm entirely lost on why the QT version is causing such issues for me. As it is now, it's impossible to use.

Any help would be appreciated in debugging why I'm having these issues with it.

System Specs:
64 bit Linux Mint
8gb ram
Raid 1 128GB
What do you get on "getinfo" as wallet version? 60000 or 60001? If 60000 you'll need to create a new wallet.dat file - this version has flaw which causes high cpu load.

What do you get on "getinfo" as wallet version? 60000 or 60001? If 60000 you'll need to create a new wallet.dat file - this version has flaw which causes high cpu load.

Bash:
    "version" : 101401,
    "protocolversion" : 70038,
    "walletversion" : 60001,

I had the same symptoms with an earlier build when trying to load a 23MB wallet full of p2pool mining vins. I used the daemon (which worked fine) to consolidate everything into one lump and then sent it to a new wallet, which then worked fine with the qt client.

I had the same symptoms with an earlier build when trying to load a 23MB wallet full of p2pool mining vins. I used the daemon (which worked fine) to consolidate everything into one lump and then sent it to a new wallet, which then worked fine with the qt client.

This seriously could be it. :)
Check out this address; it was from the old p2pool.
https://chainz.cryptoid.info/drk/address.dws?Xn71EFztHqAeCnGZvkipWh6rsV2q3YKFUT.htm

I'll consolidate all those inputs into one input and report back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet that solves it. QT threading can be a bit weird, something in the way the QT client deals with thousands of vins basically fork-bombs your PC.

Yeah, had something similar with a large 20M testnet wallet - took my i7 3mins to load while system unresponsive...

Alright, I consolidated 930 inputs into a grand total of three. Funny thing is my wallet actually grew from 21 Mb's to 28Mb's. I'm going to let the transactions confirm and then see if the issue resolves.

Here are the TX's if any of you are interested.

Bash:
    {
        "account" : "p2pool",
        "address" : "Xy6TjFRssSxUvyz3ac91jgKe4kmjj4EWz9",
        "category" : "send",
        "amount" : -3.66407730,
        "fee" : 0.00000000,
        "confirmations" : 31,
        "blockhash" : "000000000017780ae5d07c233ecb321b4e953b79c03a0dc001b28a9e3344fbf1",
        "blockindex" : 2,
        "blocktime" : 1412802264,
        "txid" : "944b452dbcec8c3d49078dba097201befbfaa632db5927b06d60b0ba02d558ed",
        "time" : 1412802115,
        "timereceived" : 1412802115
    },

{
        "account" : "",
        "amount" : -1.55226997,
        "fee" : -0.10000000,
        "confirmations" : 17,
        "blockhash" : "00000000000fca1fbc02c7a8f864972feca96c3266a5d04e7a807ce63eec6fd3",
        "blockindex" : 2,
        "blocktime" : 1412804063,
        "txid" : "f0c21aa7840da5f38bea3455413c432db104370c434d50364c6327eb30c6aa66",
        "time" : 1412803219,
        "timereceived" : 1412803219
    },

{
        "account" : "",
        "amount" : -1.51773003,
        "fee" : -0.03400000,
        "confirmations" : 7,
        "blockhash" : "000000000003e18cb3f858c7ef14dd4a199148ee5d68127b267bce45bec4d5dd",
        "blockindex" : 12,
        "blocktime" : 1412806017,
        "txid" : "30d17a58fb76a48fe3d34d861310a0563e660aa588e6ba1203b6ef30dd6ed833",
        "time" : 1412805717,
        "timereceived" : 1412805717
    }
]

Update

After consolidating all the dust the QT wallet is still unresponsive and inoperable.

Could this possibly be due to the wallet.dat size itself?

Bash:
~/.darkcoin $ ls -lh wallet.dat
-rw------- 1 propulsion propulsion 28M Oct  8 18:31 wallet.dat

Update

After consolidating all the dust the QT wallet is still unresponsive and inoperable.

Could this possibly be due to the wallet.dat size itself?

Bash:
~/.darkcoin $ ls -lh wallet.dat
-rw------- 1 propulsion propulsion 28M Oct  8 18:31 wallet.dat
You need to send the consolidated amount(s) to a new wallet. Just moving it all to one address in the existing wallet won't help, the wallet will still be huge with all the tx history etc. which is what the qt client is choking on.

Yeah, or dumpprivkey/importprivkey the address to a new wallet.dat - file size is definitely an issue here.

Ok, so I've been trying to see why the wallet file grew so large.

Darkcoind works fine btw just not QT.

Doing darkcoind listunspent, dumping it to a text file and greping "txid" I've returned a total count of 281 transactions.

So for some reason, with only 281 transactions, about 10 imported private keys, and no address with more than 30 inputs, the wallet file bloats to 28MBs and hinders QT's ability to work.

What is going to happen if someone enables darksend with eight rounds? I would imagine they would create more TX's than I have with quite a bit more inputs as well.

Ok, so I've been trying to see why the wallet file grew so large.

Darkcoind works fine btw just not QT.

Doing darkcoind listunspent, dumping it to a text file and greping "txid" I've returned a total count of 281 transactions.

So for some reason, with only 281 transactions, about 10 imported private keys, and no address with more than 30 inputs, the wallet file bloats to 28MBs and hinders QT's ability to work.

What is going to happen if someone enables darksend with eight rounds? I would imagine they would create more TX's than I have with quite a bit more inputs as well.
According to the explorer the address you mentioned up-thread has 1817 vins.

https://chainz.cryptoid.info/drk/address.dws?Xn71EFztHqAeCnGZvkipWh6rsV2q3YKFUT.htm

This was never a problem with older qt clients, I first noticed it sometime around v26/v27, mid August. Prior qt versions worked just fine with the big wallet file.

According to the explorer the address you mentioned up-thread has 1817 vins.

This was never a problem with older qt clients, I first noticed it sometime around v26/v27, mid August. Prior qt versions worked just fine with the big wallet file.

I've thought about it some more. 281 total txt's can't be the total number of transactions in the wallet if I had inputs of 930. That by itself should be 930+281 tx's.

I used the darkcoind listunspent command to dump all the current transactions to a text file then filtered them with grep.

Maybe chaeplin would know this. I'd just like to list every single TX ever associated with the wallet.dat. As it is, it should have way more than 280.

Update (again)

Ok, figured out how to list every single transaction ever in a wallet.

Bash:
~/Downloads/darkcoin/src $ ./darkcoind listtransactions "*" 10000 | grep -c "txid"

Which returned a total transaction sum of 2641 total transactions. Not too bad.

Looks like I have the same issue. I've been away a while but trying to start back up. Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit. Darkcoin-qt 0.10.15.17 never could resync even after removing peers.dat and debug.log and running with -reindex. The GUI spends about 29 out of every 30 seconds grayed out and unresponsive. 0.10.15.19 did finally manage to catch up, though it took well over 24 hours. It only maxes out one of my 24 CPUs - guess there's not much parallelism here.

I do have walletversion 60000 and wallet.dat is 28 MB. I could use some hand-holding to create a new wallet and move the coins to it, if that's the answer. (especially since the GUI can't be used most of the time)

Incidentally debug.log contains messages about peers misbehaving and peers claiming that I am misbehaving. Is this just version mismatch or is there something wrong with this particular version?

Looks like I have the same issue. I've been away a while but trying to start back up. Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit. Darkcoin-qt 0.10.15.17 never could resync even after removing peers.dat and debug.log and running with -reindex. The GUI spends about 29 out of every 30 seconds grayed out and unresponsive. 0.10.15.19 did finally manage to catch up, though it took well over 24 hours. It only maxes out one of my 24 CPUs - guess there's not much parallelism here.

I do have walletversion 60000 and wallet.dat is 28 MB. I could use some hand-holding to create a new wallet and move the coins to it, if that's the answer. (especially since the GUI can't be used most of the time)

Incidentally debug.log contains messages about peers misbehaving and peers claiming that I am misbehaving. Is this just version mismatch or is there something wrong with this particular version?

Normal with the debug file. The easiest way to transfer everything to a new wallet would be to use "darkcoind" which is the command line daemon version of the wallet.
You would rename the wallet.dat file to something else (with the wallet shut down) and then launch QT/daemon again to create a new wallet. Copy the address of the new wallet, Encrypt it, back it up, and then double check it. (Shut it down, turn it on)

Rename the new wallet to something like "newwallet.dat" and rename the old wallet to "wallet.dat' With the daemon, --non qt-- , launch it with cmd or bash and do:
Bash:
 ./darkcoind --daemon --rpcuser=asdfasdfasdf --rpcpassword=asdfasdfasdasdasdf 
./darkcoind walletpassphrase 'Yourpassword' 300
./darkcoind sendtoaddress "Your account balance" "New Address" 
Example Included:
./darkcoind sendtoaddress 1000.555 XoYkfwhJ2CwfqSHQJAmLj3ktcmhKquC2Qj

A number will pop up after doing the above, that is your tx. You can now do:
Code:
./darkcoind getransaction 4eca7543f07a351209af043153bd251c62e2beea563bd0d81ca44b23d6c2e735
Once it hits one confirmation, close the wallet. Rename wallet.dat to "oldwallet.dat" rename "newwallet.dat" to "wallet.dat" and launch QT.

Thanks. I found that I had to supply --rpcuser and --rpcpassword with every darkcoind command. I am stuck on sendtoaddress, getting

error: Error parsing JSON:XrhW...

(it prints my full new address there)

Thanks. I found that I had to supply --rpcuser and --rpcpassword with every darkcoind command. I am stuck on sendtoaddress, getting

error: Error parsing JSON:XrhW...

(it prints my full new address there)
I guess there's a little mistake in Propulsion example
according to help output ("sendtoaddress <darkcoinaddress> <amount> [comment] [comment-to]") the command should be
Code:
./darkcoind sendtoaddress XoYkfwhJ2CwfqSHQJAmLj3ktcmhKquC2Qj 1000.555

Yup, just figured that out myself as well. Now "Transaction too large". Presumably it's adding a fee which I need to deduct from the amount? -- No, that doesn't seem to be the issue. Just too many inputs?

listunspent spit out something like 1833 items.

Okay, I just have to use several sends of smaller amounts. Oy this is taking a while.

Back