• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

JavaScript development & Outreach

rion

Hello Dash fan. Please see below for my proposal below. Apologies for the delay in getting it up here. Thank you for your time and consideration! I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

Proposal - JavaScript Development and Outreach
Overview
This is a very simple proposal. I am offering full-time coding, and JavaScript developer outreach, for Dash for the month of March. I am requesting 85 DASH in return, which is below market rate. See sections below for further detail.

Background & Motivation
Proposal History
This is my second treasury proposal. The first involved setting up infrastructure, content, and very basic websites for community use. In addition to the scope I proposed and delivered, I have been working on a user-friendly web editor for the dash community blog. The basic functionality is complete, but several features and user workflow improvements are still in the works. Up until now blogging activity has been limited due to the difficulty of creating and submitting entries. Users had to use markdown syntax and make GitHub pull requests - too complicated. When completed, the blog will be easily accessible to all.

That is just background on my past activities for Dash. This proposal is not seeking reimbursement for the additional work described above, rather this is aimed at future work on separate project ideas, outlined below.

About Me
I came across bitcoin in March of 2013 (just about to hit my 4-year anniversary!) and from that time on the technology and social implications have consumed me. I managed to juggle my full-time gig with cryptocurrency as a side hobby for a while, but ultimately I conceded and left my 7-year energy efficiency engineering career behind to jump both feet into cryptocurrency. I dusted off some old C++ and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) skills I used in college and my last job, then went on to research the current industry trends. Based on my research I decided learn and focus solely on JavaScript (JS) and NodeJS. I put my new skills to public use first with the blogging platform mentioned above. I’m now ready to start working on Dash-specific coding projects, and I want to work full time for the masternode operators.

Vision
Through my research I discovered an explosive upward trend in the JS community. It is orders of magnitude larger than the entire cryptocurrency space, and like Dash, it is growing and evolving incredibly fast. Both Dash and JavaScript are designed (relative to their respective sibling technologies) specifically to provide end users with an attractive user experience (UX). This (amongst other things) makes JS essential to Dash’s success.

The core development team is hiring JS developers to work on Evolution. This is a great start in delivering user-friendly interfaces for Dash. There are many more tools, products, and services for JS developers to build for Dash. I’d like to launch a focussed effort to attract JS developers to Dash, and start building useful tools together. All projects will be community owned and hosted on dash community where anyone is welcome to contribute.

There is a disproportionately large number of developers where I live. Some of the most prominent and influential JS developers are local, and I’d like to pave a path to get them involved with Dash. Building such a team would have the added benefit of providing the Core team a pool of coders to pull from if/when desired.

Dash masternode operators (MNOs) hiring full time non-“Core” employees could offer far-reaching community-wide benefits if the concept is executed well. The JS/Node team I am focussing on could serve as a model that other specialized teams could follow. As new governance features roll out with Sentinel they could be tested within these organizations.

Scope
Salaried work sometimes implies looser scopes, schedules, and budgets than contract work, but this does not need to be the case. I intend to provide measurable targets in terms of scope of work and deliverable schedules, assuming MNOs see value in this. I will offer product suggestions for MNOs to consider. However, a simple platform for taking suggestions from MNOs and community members could also be developed. My initial suggestions include items I’ve discussed with a Core developer. This does not imply endorsement of this proposal, just that the work might be beneficial). The scope of work is shown below, in order of priority. I am open to changing these based on MNO feedback.

InstantSend Broadcasting
The bitcore-p2p-dash library is now capable of InstantSend transactions as of just over a week ago. This instantsend-broadcast repository implements this at a “proof-of-concept” stage. With some additional work this could begin to be integrated elsewhere. The first thing I’d like to work on is creating a user interface using this library. This would allow users to go to a website, create private keys and public addresses and send transactions using them, including InstantSend transactions.

Community JS Developer Engagement
This is the effort I described in the Vision section above. Essentially this would be adding JS developers to the dashcommunity GitHub repo, and encouraging them to contribute. At first I will focus on simply getting them in the organization and familiar with Dash in general, and the specific projects we’re working on.

Dash Payment Processor
As time allows, I would like to improve and help maintain the Dash Payment Processor repository.

Schedule
  • Work will commence March 1
  • I will work full time through the end of the month (160+ hours)
  • This proposal seeks funding for a 1 Month trial period, but I intend to work as long as masternode operators find value in my work; I will submit separate proposals for any ongoing work
Budget
  • One-time payment of 85 DASH
    • Personal salary: 80 DASH (80 DASH/160 hrs = 0.5 DASH/hr ~12.50 USD/hr @ 25 USD/DASH)
    • Proposal reimbursement: 5 DASH
    • I will use part of the 80 DASH to tip JS developers as they come into the fold
Closing
As we all know, Dash has enormous potential. Focussing on user-friendliness is one of our most effective tactics, and having a strong JavaScript workforce will help with this. The JS community is huge, and most of them are not involved with any cryptocurrency project. I’d like them to find a home in Dash.

2017.03.02 UPDATE
Hello MNOs. I’m hoping to change some minds to get this proposal passing. To that end, I’ve taken the following initiatives:

1. I’ve clarified/refined the scope of work (SOW)
  2. I’ve obtained experienced developer resources to help me accomplish the SOW
Updated SOW
The UI will be patterned after BitPay’s transaction playground. This will be adapted for Dash InstantSend transactions, and tailored to the features requested by core and community developers and users. If I don’t get feedback regarding specific feature requests, then I can choose them based on what I think would be useful for both developers and end users.

New Developer Resources
One of the prominent and influential developers referenced in my original proposal is AJ Oneal. AJ is a long-standing panelist (co-host) for the JavaScript Jabber podcast, which I believe is the most popular JavaScript podcast in the land, approaching 30,000 downloads per episode. AJ has agreed to play an advisor role in the work that I will be doing.

In terms of an actual coding resources, AJ recommended John Storey very highly. John has many years experience with JavaScript as well as the appropriate libraries for the front-end project in the SOW above (Angular and React). John has been following blockchain space for years, and came across Dash when it was still Darkcoin. He has also dabbled with Ethereum (solidity) programming.John will be helping code up the SOW I’ve described.

Both of these developers have enough interest in Dash (and this proposal/vision within Dash) to do some amount of work uncompensated, but both are very busy with projects and full-time jobs of their own, so funding would allow them to explicitly set aside time this month to perform the proposed work.

Price Movement
The price of Dash has risen from 25 to 42 USD/DASH between the time this proposal was originally submitted and now. This rise has allowed me to reach out to these developers with an offer to pay. I forsee them getting at least half of the total funding.

Back