• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Internet Freedom Festival

fernando

Powered by Dash
Foundation Member
The Internet Freedom Festival (https://internetfreedomfestival.org/) is taking place on the first week of March in Valencia. From their website: "The Internet Freedom Festival gathers the community keeping the Internet open and uncensored for a week of multidisciplinary collaboration". There are activities coordinated by people from institutions like Electronic Frontier Foundation or the Freedom of Press Foundation. Around 700 hundred people have already registered to atend.

When I found about it January I tried submit a proposal for a talk/workshop about how Dash improves privacy online, but the deadline was already over. It was less than a week after the deadline, but they have an open process to select talks and they could not get me in. I even tried to tempt them talking about sponshorships, but they rejected that too.

I'll go anyway and have fun preaching Dash one people at a time. Most of them are in fields that could benefit from Dash and are well respected, so an endorsement could go a long way.

Also, they said there would be spaces for improvised workshops and that other years some of those ended up quite big, so I'll try to organize something while I'm there. Any help with ideas for a workshop on how Dash improves over other payment methods would be welcome. The audience will not be cryptocoin nerds, but privacy/open-internet nerds, so that should be the line. My current idea is:

1. What cryptocurrencies are. Intro to Bitcoin
  2. Problems with Bitcoin. Focus on loss of privacy
  3. How Dash solves problems
  4. How to use Dash

Also, help in the selection of targets for preaching would be nice. The full list of speakers and schedule is here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...0g9IGNYITYWGP_zjIDNDmEuka8/edit#gid=393194210

I will only be able to atend a couple of days, most probably the last two. If someone else is going, please say so and I'll pay a few beers :smile:

In the end I made it into the schedule:
https://internetfreedomfestival.org/IFF_Schedule.html

It's on Sunday morning, probably not the best time to host something not aimed at drunk people after a week of festival, but I'll do my best :)

I'll be focusing on privacy because I think that is what this audience will be more interested about. A brief intro to cryptos and Bitcoin, then highlight the privacy problems in Bitcoin, then intro to Dash and how it solves those problems. Depending on how knowledgeable the audience is I go more in depth or also comment on other features, but I don't think there will be much time. As far as I know, this is the only presentation on anything related to virtual currencies in the festival, so the most likely scenario is that most of the audience (if any :smile:) are pretty new and I'll have to explain basic concepts. That would be good, though, as they would be exposed to Dash early on their experience.

I'll try to do a video, but I'm not sure what the conditions will be, so I can't promise for sure.

In the end I made it into the schedule:
https://internetfreedomfestival.org/IFF_Schedule.html

It's on Sunday morning, probably not the best time to host something not aimed at drunk people after a week of festival, but I'll do my best :)

I'll be focusing on privacy because I think that is what this audience will be more interested about. A brief intro to cryptos and Bitcoin, then highlight the privacy problems in Bitcoin, then intro to Dash and how it solves those problems. Depending on how knowledgeable the audience is I go more in depth or also comment on other features, but I don't think there will be much time. As far as I know, this is the only presentation on anything related to virtual currencies in the festival, so the most likely scenario is that most of the audience (if any :smile:) are pretty new and I'll have to explain basic concepts. That would be good, though, as they would be exposed to Dash early on their experience.

I'll try to do a video, but I'm not sure what the conditions will be, so I can't promise for sure.

Do you need any handout collateral or stuff? A social media campaign to run during the festival to raise awareness? Anything else you think might help this make the largest possible impact?

Do you need any handout collateral or stuff? A social media campaign to run during the festival to raise awareness? Anything else you think might help this make the largest possible impact?
Thanks!

I'm already working on the presentation with some stuff kot prepared.

Let me think about social media promotion. I had thought about it, but was worried that it could sound too aggressive. However, on second thought, it could be great if done properly. What approach would you recommend?

Thanks!

I'm already working on the presentation with some stuff kot prepared.

Let me think about social media promotion. I had thought about it, but was worried that it could sound too aggressive. However, on second thought, it could be great if done properly. What approach would you recommend?

I would just mainly want to target all the people looking to visit the festival, ping reporters about your talk with times and dates, and just promote you prior to/during your presentation, nothing too crazy. Just make sure whoever is there and interested in hearing you gets a chance. Maybe some live tweeting from you and we'll push followers to you and all that

I would just mainly want to target all the people looking to visit the festival, ping reporters about your talk with times and dates, and just promote you prior to/during your presentation, nothing too crazy. Just make sure whoever is there and interested in hearing you gets a chance. Maybe some live tweeting from you and we'll push followers to you and all that
Sounds good, let's do it!

The talk will take place on Sunday 6th at 11am. Venue: Las Naves (this is where the festival is taking place). Room: Attic.

Description of the talk:
I will do a quick introduction to virtual currencies and Bitcoin. After that I will present how Bitcoin users can have their privacy compromised, both by companies they work with and by third parties. Then I will give a few good practices to use Bitcoin in a more private way. Finally, I will give an introduction to Dash, a different virtual currency based on Bitcoin that, among other things, solves the privacy issues that Bitcoin has; and explain in detail how that increased privacy protection works.
https://internetfreedomfestival.org/wiki/index.php/Virtual_Currencies_and_Privacy_-_Bitcoin_and_Dash

On Twitter I'm fernando, the festival is @InternetFF and the hashtag they are using is #InternetFF

The idea is to be subtle. This people are not into virtual currencies, so pushing Dash too hard won't be effective because they haven't heard about it. I want to capitalize on the fact that probably some know something about Bitcoin, so by positioning Dash as a solution to a problem they didn't know Bitcoin has we are putting ourselves next to them.

(btw, I'm using virtual currencies with them, instead of cryptocurrencies, because they are indeed into cryptography and I don't want to mix words too much :smile:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good, let's do it!

The talk will take place on Sunday 6th at 11am. Venue: Las Naves (this is where the festival is taking place). Room: Attic.

Description of the talk:
I will do a quick introduction to virtual currencies and Bitcoin. After that I will present how Bitcoin users can have their privacy compromised, both by companies they work with and by third parties. Then I will give a few good practices to use Bitcoin in a more private way. Finally, I will give an introduction to Dash, a different virtual currency based on Bitcoin that, among other things, solves the privacy issues that Bitcoin has; and explain in detail how that increased privacy protection works.
https://internetfreedomfestival.org/wiki/index.php/Virtual_Currencies_and_Privacy_-_Bitcoin_and_Dash

On Twitter I'm fernando, the festival is @InternetFF and the hashtag they are using is #InternetFF

The idea is to be subtle. This people are not into virtual currencies, so pushing Dash too hard won't be effective because they haven't heard about it. I want to capitalize on the fact that probably some know something about Bitcoin, so by positioning Dash as a solution to a problem they didn't know Bitcoin has we are putting ourselves next to them.

(btw, I'm using virtual currencies with them, instead of cryptocurrencies, because they are indeed into cryptography and I don't want to mix words too much :smile:)
https://twitter.com/taoofsatoshi/status/705121082047655936

please do a thread with all pics and updates (whatever Fernando can get you)
I am happy to share that as well
Tx for being on it !

Tx fernando
handsome, smart and professional as always
:grin:
sbQS8ie.jpg

Back