• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Info pls: 2300 Masternode coins not being recovered from wallet.dat restore?

ponysauce

Hey,

I made a dash wallet in late 2015 that was on a hard drive that crashed. I am 90% positive this is the correct wallet.dat file, however, I backed up this wallet.dat before generating the masternode privkey. Unfortunately, when I went to restore my wallet from my wallet.dat file, it did not show any of the coins from the masternode address.

I'm wondering if:

1) There's something else I need to do to get this masternode private key. Are masternode private keys different, such that I may need to run "generate masternode private key" in this wallet a bunch of times to recover these coins? I'm willing to do it -- does this have to do with a deterministic wallet? (I don't really know what any of this means).

2) Am I crazy? Did I create a new wallet and forget to back it up? Is this, most likely, the wrong wallet.dat file?

3) I haven't tried a recovery since mid 2017. Is there anything new in the Dash core that might re-index these address better?

In the event that #1 is true, I might have the computing power, patience, and time needed to re-generate these keys, if necessary / reasonably possible. Basically, I have like 4 laptops and 16 GB of memory that I'm not using. If I can run this experiment and find success, maybe my results will help someone out in the future who has a similar problem.

You can view more info about this problem, including the addresses that hold the coin, here:
https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/lost-masternode-conf-file.9800/

https://explorer.dash.org/address/XqgKnCqM6S6F8NrkGLCkoTvV9b17SNdrcL

Thank you for any info to help me figure this out! I'm not just looking for a solution, help is helpful too!

Oh... I forgot to mention, I also have a signed message from this address which I used to enable the dash whale website. I figure that might help minimize the search space, if necessary.

Right? because here I have the:

* wallet.dat file, with no private key, but with whatever info was used to generate said private key
* signed message, which may contain information about the private key, or something

Surely this must narrow the search space considerably?

Back