• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Importing encrypted backup wallet

AnarchicCluster

My hard drive has crashed, but fortunately I have made my encrypted backup of my wallet. How do I go about and import it to my new client on my new hard drive?

put it in your data folder and start the client, thats all.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a video tutorial for this? I know its a no brainer for most after having to do it at some time, but for the new, non tech members, video tutorials (step by step) would be invaluable as a self help tool:grin:

Is there a video tutorial for this? I know its a no brainer for most after having to do it at some time, but for the new, non tech members, video tutorials (step by step) would be invaluable as a self help tool:grin:
You don't need a video for this but you can try it out on Testnet. If you need a guide to start a wallet on Testnet you can follow my guide here:
https://dashtalk.org/threads/v0-11-2-x-testing.4202/page-31#post-50563

Then put some fake tDASH in there, back up the wallet.dat on another directory or on your usb stick. Pretend you have a hard drive crash by deleting that Dash folder on your computer. Then pretend you're on a new hard drive and start over by creating a new empty folder and name it "Dash". Then put the backup wallet.dat in that Dash folder. Run your dash-qt.exe. Your tDASH should show up anytime. That's it.

Sorry I don't completly get it. Which folder and what file? the name of the back up file looks something like this: Darkcoin-wallet-keys-2015-01-24 so I am guessing I can't just overwrite wallett.dat with that file.

Sorry I don't completly get it. Which folder and what file? the name of the back up file looks something like this: Darkcoin-wallet-keys-2015-01-24 so I am guessing I can't just overwrite wallett.dat with that file.
back it up and change it to wallet.dat ... have you tried at least?

yes I tried that, and I got a message about corrupted wallet.dat file when I restarted Dash :(
Also they don't seem to be the same files. wallet.dat is around 600kB where my backup file is only 1kB

yes I tried that, and I got a message about corrupted wallet.dat file when I restarted Dash :(
Also they don't seem to be the same files. wallet.dat is around 600kB where my backup file is only 1kB
How exactly did you make this backup?

Oh I forgot about a small detail. This is a back up from a darkcoin client for Android. They have an option to back up your wallet. So I did. My mobile phone got busted but I still have the back up file. I suspect that what I backed up is my private key not the entire wallet

Oh I forgot about a small detail. This is a back up from a darkcoin client for Android. They have an option to back up your wallet. So I did. My mobile phone got busted but I still have the back up file. I suspect that what I backed up is my private key not the entire wallet
Go to: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=hashengineering.darkcoin.wallet download it again on your mobile phone....
Open wallet: go to: Options/create the copy of you priv keys and than importprivkeys .... put the password you had and tadah! :) you`re done! :)

Yeah it worked, thanks a lot. I made a mistake by trying to import it to a Windows client, but it does work on Android.
Indeed when you gave the name of the wallet it looked familiar ;) so checked the android wallet instantly and it was almost the same ...happy your problem is solved now. Pozdrawiam :D

Yeah it worked, thanks a lot. I made a mistake by trying to import it to a Windows client, but it does work on Android.

I posted this exact question in the hash engineering android thread about importing the phone key into a windows client, havent quite sussed it yet ..

There is a way to import Private Keys from the Android Wallet to the Desktop client, but it is a little tricky. Also, it isn't considered safe. As soon as you import the keys, you should transfer the coins to other addresses.

Back