• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

If DASH is money, it needs to enter Retail ASAP

JuanSGalt

Howdy Ladies and Gentlemen.

Check out this conversation with Trace Mayer about Bitcoin's status as a settlement layer vs a currency.

He basically makes the case that Bitcoin was not designed for instant transactions or fast txs anyways.

And I've seen little evidence that there's any intention to change that, short of the infamous lightning network which i'm honestly not sure how it works or if it can be a p2p solution for retail.

If lightning compromises on decentralization, then this is a huge opportunity for DASH as a currency, for now.

This means serious focus would have to go into having DASH enter the retail market.

Some such moves might be to try and partner up with a wallet popular wallet provider, or start a payment processing arm that helps merchants convert DASH to fiat. or at the very least create a tool that automates the convertion through something like shapeshift into btc so that they can deposit into their favorite exchange.

I don't know what the best path is. But I know that there's an opportunity for this now and that it likely won't be around forever.

Curious what you think.

That is a very interesting and insightful interview. Rare to get such balanced views about what's going on.

Thanks for posting !

Camosoul, Solarminer, Moocowmoo, etc... several of our guys, especially those that worked on the Drink n Dash project have been saying this for quite some time. Yet their project / budget proposal was rejected. Honestly, this requires, not just merchant solutions, but people to help install and train retail establishments. You are right Juan, we need to get on this. I hope that the Dash to fiat proposal will work, but that's just the beginning. Dash should shine in face to face transactions. Anyway, here's a bump :)

Coinpayments is a Dash payment processor. It already offers merchants a way to accept Dash and get fiat in return.

I've started a push to get GoCoin to accept Dash. They currently accept Bitcoin, Doge, Litecoin. Dash is an obvious choice. GoCoin is a well established payment processor and could get Dash to Shopify and other interesting top places.

Very cool, keep it up!!! Are these things noted on the Dash Website (I'll ask Fernando)?? My son's friend is a foreign student at college and is one of the leaders of the foreign student club (name???) and I'm trying to get her to let me speak to them on Bitcoin and Dash, but I also need to figure out how a parent from Vietnam, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand, etc... would acquire Dash in the first place?? I'm sure that if I can help them with saving money on transfers, the word would spread.

RE: Coinpayments.net, why aren't they using InstantX They could get brick and morter stores to accept Dash with InstantX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats great about Coinpayments.com. From here: https://www.coinpayments.net/supported-coins

y3msHkGeIXK4gzlYGUHzg5i0XZ98OoXZF8PY-NOFYDeEpskAF_jTc2Uqz8kboedrgJqZZVsmOtH1pQvUDYc5_UeTP6yGQmg0KWrrOo4MFNnO_VFRBEqZ_iA8HpZkLcolqHr9TVy_rwFzdOK4khl5ueg_XlKkuegmNEAwJRg_1UW0Z8

• The Dash link goes to https://www.darkcoin.io which throws a certificate error and very scary warning from browser - update link or renew certificate?
  • Confirms = 6 - any way to get InstantX introduced? And/or any way to get the time to confirm inserted (6 DASH confirms is very different from 6 BTC confirms)?
Does someone have a contact there and can follow up?

Thats great about Coinpayments.com. From here: https://www.coinpayments.net/supported-coins

y3msHkGeIXK4gzlYGUHzg5i0XZ98OoXZF8PY-NOFYDeEpskAF_jTc2Uqz8kboedrgJqZZVsmOtH1pQvUDYc5_UeTP6yGQmg0KWrrOo4MFNnO_VFRBEqZ_iA8HpZkLcolqHr9TVy_rwFzdOK4khl5ueg_XlKkuegmNEAwJRg_1UW0Z8

• The Dash link goes to https://www.darkcoin.io which throws a certificate error and very scary warning from browser - update link or renew certificate?
  • Confirms = 6 - any way to get InstantX introduced? And/or any way to get the time to confirm inserted (6 DASH confirms is very different from 6 BTC confirms)?
Does someone have a contact there and can follow up?

Let's tell them about it. https://twitter.com/CoinPaymentsNET

If Bitcoin is going to be a settlement layer, lets let it be a settlement layer. Seems to me the simplest way to deal with this problem would be to have some app that converts DASH into Bitcoin through shapeshift.io and allows the withdrawal through fiat. This would require partnership with either shapeshift.io or instead with some crypto exchange like Kraken.

This helps us minimize the costs of regulatory complience. The merchant will have to be verified likely, but as far as they are concerned, they are recieving cash. So we don't have to get an exchange and go through the very expensive licensing process.

So as long as merchants get DASH on the spot without worries about double spends, they are good, they can then move to btc and to fiat, or DASH to fiat, and wait for settlement, when there is less risk.

Trace Mayer is already generally supportive of DASH, perhaps he can help us get Kraken to trade DASH for fiat, or maybe Kraken has an api that can support such an app? it would have to be a merchant payment processing app. and it would need to be accompanied with an incentive structure for a sales team to start approaching merchants.

Back