• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Hybrid dash and zero-proofs

Raphael Mathias

Hello,

I had an idea about an improvement in the PrivateSend function, I do not know if it would be possible, but I'd like to share it with you.

With respect to the anonymity the Dash uses an artifact similar to the coinjoin of the bitcoin where the marterndes is that manages that mixture.

Dash's anonymity is not code-level. And there is still the disadvantage of having to wait a few hours until the coin anonymisation completes. Even so, there is still an observer's ability to track transactions.

So I had an idea to solve this problem. I do not know if it is plausible, but I will share it with you (and I would like you to give your verdict).

Zcash uses zero-knowledge proofs, so the anonymity is code-level: where the transaction, receiver, recipient and value are hidden in the blockchain. In this respect it seems to me that the anonymisation of Zcash would be superior to the Dash.

Would it be too complicated to create a hybrid "TYPE" between Dash and Zcash?

"Normal" transactions would occur as they do today: in the blockchain Dash; But the anonymous transactions would occur in a second blockchain, in which the technology would be the zero-knowledge proofs protocol of the Zcash. The masternodes would continue to manage these transactions between NORMAL -> ANONYMOUS.

It would work briefly like this:

1) The user would request the 10 current masternodes an Anonymous transaction;
2) The masternodes would manage this change of currencies between the blockchain "normal" and the anonymous blockchain;
3) The marternodes would decree those coins as "dead" (destroyed) in the "normal" blockchain and (re) create the same amount in the anomalous blockchain and carry out the transaction (all this communicating to the rest of the network the operation).

In practice this whole process would be transparent to the end user.

What do you think? Is it crazy about me? Is it plausible?

Last edited:
It's not so crazy, it's been brought up a few times before and there are a couple of points where it falls down. Firstly it would mean adding an awful lot of complexity to do something that can be done easily with shapeshift, just exchange for a zero knowledge coin and change back again. Secondly and far more importantly, how many coins exist in a zero knowledge proof system? There's no way of knowing and several bugs have appeared with totally anonymous coins that would allow the creation of coins from nothing. That's an unacceptable risk, Bitcoin would be nothing more than a little backwater cryptogeek project if that 21 million figure wasn't provable beyond doubt and Dash has to offer the same guarantee.

It's not so crazy, it's been brought up a few times before and there are a couple of points where it falls down. Firstly it would mean adding an awful lot of complexity to do something that can be done easily with shapeshift, just exchange for a zero knowledge coin and change back again. Secondly and far more importantly, how many coins exist in a zero knowledge proof system? There's no way of knowing and several bugs have appeared with totally anonymous coins that would allow the creation of coins from nothing. That's an unacceptable risk, Bitcoin would be nothing more than a little backwater cryptogeek project if that 21 million figure wasn't provable beyond doubt and Dash has to offer the same guarantee.

I had imagined this same problem that you described.

However, all Dash coins would still be mined in the main blockchain. The second blockchain (the private zero-knowledge proofs) would only be for private transactions. With this, it could be audited that the amount of coins in circulation are legitimate.

In the second blockchain (the private zero-knowledge proofs) there would be no "real" mining. The blocks of the second blockchain would only be verified as to the veracity of the transactions.

The core mining would still be in the usual Dash blockchain. The winning miner (which found the hash of the blockchain Dash of custom) would only check the transactions of the second private blockchain (zero-knowledge proofs) and link that hash of the first blockchain to the private blockchain.

In the case of a shapeshift the problem would be that, in practice, there would be two currencies with their distinct market cap. This would be a bit confusing for users because two coins, two values, two market cap.

Back