• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How to backup server wallet.dat ?

yidakee

Foundation Member
Seems I'm having an impossible time on 10.8.6 trying to run local / remote, even leaving local online.
Until this is fixed, it seems I'll have to send 1k over to the server, which kind of freaks me out to be honest... but anyway.

two questions;

1 - How long can a wallet password be?
2 - I can send the 1k to server address 0, but have no clue how to backup the server wallet.dat via ssh back to my laptop to store a backup. Anyone mind giving me a quick tutorial ?

Seems I'm having an impossible time on 10.8.6 trying to run local / remote, even leaving local online.
Until this is fixed, it seems I'll have to send 1k over to the server, which kind of freaks me out to be honest... but anyway.

two questions;

1 - How long can a wallet password be?
2 - I can send the 1k to server address 0, but have no clue how to backup the server wallet.dat via ssh back to my laptop to store a backup. Anyone mind giving me a quick tutorial ?

You can use local / remote setup, without cold storage, both need to online.

1. don't know, but once I have 28.
2. Backup is simple, no need password, though it is not a simple copy.

Code:
backupwallet <destination>
darkcoind backupwallet path_to_other/wallet_2014_05_xx.dat

Use scp to download.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use local / remote setup, without cold storage, both need to online.

Backup is simple, no need password, though it is not a simple copy.

Code:
backupwallet <destination>
darkcoind backupwallet path_to_other/wallet_2014_05_xx.dat

Use scp to download.

Man... I've tried and tried and tried... so easy on testnet, but first time on main net I simply cant get it to work! Help dude, I'm getting worried and leaving for work from Friday to Sunday :(
Please take a look here;
https://darkcointalk.org/threads/up...r-the-hardfork-on-may-25.712/page-4#post-4399

I will try that now and report back. Local wallet is VM Ubuntu 14

- stop daemon
- open firefox and look up "what is my ip"
- nano darkcoin.conf - externalip=my_external_ip, only node 23.23.186.131:9999 is present - save
- darkcoind - unlock - succesfully started masternode

WORKS !! I can see myself now, and on your website too, instantly!!
But it shows up twice on the list... I think maybe the local/remote setup picked up my ip yesterday and I didnt know, because I did see TVCabo Portugal ISP provider, but never thought it was me (as I was -masternodeaddr=EC2)

As excepted, you're gold dude! ... Final quick question for the day.

My VM Ubuntu has the same external IP as the laptop...
how can I make 2 VM's work side by side with their own IP's? Do I even need to do this?
When I searched for my IP it showed up twice. Now its gone from your website and is flagged

"xx.xx.162.92:9999" : 0,
"xx.xx.162.92:9999" : 1,

Possibly because the VM went idle (login lock screen) ?

EDIT: It is!! I logged in, stopped the daemon, restarted and now again "xx.xx.162.92 ": 1
But not up again on your website, and twice on the darkcoind masternode list.

Ok , at least we're getting somewhere...

Last edited by a moderator:
So is it possible to make 2 ec2 instances and run one with the 1000drk and the other with 0 so that the 1000drk machines ip isn't displayed?
To do this do I just add masternodeaddr=ip_of_server to the config file of the 1000drk machine then run them both?

So is it possible to make 2 ec2 instances and run one with the 1000drk and the other with 0 so that the 1000drk machines ip isn't displayed?
To do this do I just add masternodeaddr=ip_of_server to the config file of the 1000drk machine then run them both?

It was, and probably will, but for now that setup is not working ok. You have to either run local or remote

Back