• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How does Mycelium fit into Dash?

Mycelium is rapidly losing credibility since it was taken over. Last I saw, they are pushing a Russian coin, widely called a scam, heavily criticized on Google Play reviews.

The only reason for using it these days is hardware wallet support, but given their track record and recent sale, I'm simply not confident enough to trust them with it.

They took money from dash a very long time ago and never delivered. Now we are giving them more resources, sure sucks.

I love Mycelium. Not as a wallet (never used it for that), but because of its integrated LocalTrader app. It has a lot of users and thus I'm able to find people to trade BTC with easily. I've done 6 successful trades in the last couple weeks now thanks to Mycelium. Once Dash is integrated that very same & vast userbase will be introduced to it and adoption will increase significantly. I was very happy when it was first announced last year. The delay was ridiculous, but I'm happy to finally see some progress. This time the delay wasn't even caused by Core but by Mycelium themselves because of a major overhaul of the codebase

They took money from dash a very long time ago and never delivered.

That's an inaccurate portrayal. There never was a budget proposal, because Core allocated pre-existing resources to that project internally. The whole thing was set up as a co-operation with our and their devs working side by side. If this integration comes to fruition the advantages to Dash can't be overstated. Mycelium is huge.

I love Mycelium. Not as a wallet (never used it for that), but because of its integrated LocalTrader app. It has a lot of users and thus I'm able to find people to trade BTC with easily. I've done 6 successful trades in the last couple weeks now thanks to Mycelium. Once Dash is integrated that very same & vast userbase will be introduced to it and adoption will increase significantly. I was very happy when it was first announced last year. The delay was ridiculous, but I'm happy to finally see some progress. This time the delay wasn't even caused by Core but by Mycelium themselves because of a major overhaul of the codebase

That's an inaccurate portrayal. There never was a budget proposal, because Core allocated pre-existing resources to that project internally. The whole thing was set up as a co-operation with our and their devs working side by side. If this integration comes to fruition the advantages to Dash can't be overstated. Mycelium is huge.

That's fair enough. It was part of this business development proposal, 651 dash, in Aug 2016:
https://www.dashcentral.org/p/bsdev-general-201608

On Dec 29, 2016, Ryan Taylor said:

"The original estimate for this project was publicly published in the press release as October. It was Mycelium's best estimate at the time of the news release back in July. We continue to work with them and in fact I know we were supporting them just last week. The delays are not specific to Dash... the entire release in which Dash will be included is delayed. So we continue to work with Mycelium and they continue to plan to include Dash in the next version."
https://www.dash.org/forum/threads/proposal-business-development-january.12561/

Well, there have since been several Mycelium updates. So far, no segwit, no bitcoin cash, no dash.. but thankfully they included an obscure Russian coin.

Ah yes it was part of a BusDev prop. During that time that proposal amounted to less than 8000 USD. Compared to what we paid for the Kraken integration that cooperation was basically gifted.

Not sure what Russian coin you're referring to, neither am I aware of any (hostile?) takeover, but what I've seen is them vastly expanding their portfolio beyond the Android app towards a debit card, a hardware wallet, a payment system etc. which explains the delay we've seen. Their mission statement is to become blockchain agnostic, so I don't really care which other coins they integrate as long as they integrate Dash as well. Google Play shows over 500,000 downloads for that wallet, so I'd take reaching that userbase over avoiding some alleged scamcoin integration any day.

I don't want to speculate on internal actions of Mycelium. I just want to explain that they are good business partner and they did not ask for any investment other than time of our developers.
This cooperation is profitable for both sides because we are going to gain a huge user base of Mycelium and on the other side our developers are learning their infrastructure and issues related to complex wallet development process (their new product is huge). This knowledge will be/is being re-used in Evo products development.

Personally I also think that we should support other projects in the space - only this way we can make our industry stronger. We should not compete with everyone or stay away from good projects. In contrary, we should work together and develop good, reliable solutions for users.

I don't want to speculate on internal actions of Mycelium. I just want to explain that they are good business partner and they did not ask for any investment other than time of our developers.
This cooperation is profitable for both sides because we are going to gain a huge user base of Mycelium and on the other side our developers are learning their infrastructure and issues related to complex wallet development process (their new product is huge). This knowledge will be/is being re-used in Evo products development.

Personally I also think that we should support other projects in the space - only this way we can make our industry stronger. We should not compete with everyone or stay away from good projects. In contrary, we should work together and develop good, reliable solutions for users.

Okay, I probably should give them the benefit of the doubt. I will update the app and keep a closer eye on them.

Talking of other wallets, hardware wallet support in other mobile apps (Coinomi?) would be very welcome.

Back