• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How do I view my balance from an extended public key (xpub)?

Yes that is myself asking the same question on another forum, the answer does not help :)

Here's the full output from ledger live:

{
"xpub": "drkvjRhkGU4B9mvE2TLNF48pXUavAFg7WeJqkWDxV4YKzUbPMvTwy4JuKm2fVpJ1cfHGfsVQVBcAmRbYerURnCsPZL3GmysdcEVVmKnozVS5buU",
"index": 0,
"freshAddressPath": "44'/5'/0'/0/0",
"id": "libcore:1:dash:drkvjRhkGU4B9mvE2TLNF48pXUavAFg7WeJqkWDxV4YKzUbPMvTwy4JuKm2fVpJ1cfHGfsVQVBcAmRbYerURnCsPZL3GmysdcEVVmKnozVS5buU:",
"blockHeight": 1489581
}

Can anyone tell me my balance?

Hello! This xpub seems to be holding zero balance.

You can check the balance by loading the (view-only) xpub in Dash Electrum. When creating a new wallet, choose "Standard" then choose "Use a master key". Enter your xpub here and wait for Dash Electrum to open. You can see the balance in the lower left corner, and the list of addresses under "View" -> "Show Addresses".

Hello!

Thanks for your reply- very helpful. You would indeed appear to be correct, that I have a zero balance. However, none of the addresses have any transaction history at all, which does not make any sense.

To drive this point home, on my ledger (where I exported the xpub from) if I ask for my receive address, I am given Xr1YeTTiWUc5sHxZLrd1X6kDgiUfW5eRoB which is not any of the addresses listed on Electrum. This address DOES have a transaction history.

Is it possible that Electrum is using a different path (i.e. not 44'/5'/0'/0/0") when displaying the addresses, and therefore incorrectly calculating my balance?

Yes, it is possible it is deriving a different path to what Ledger does in there interface. @akhavr should be able to help answering that question.

@mcplums

1. Are you using latest Ledger Live? Do you get `Xr1YeTTiWUc5sHxZLrd1X6kDgiUfW5eRoB` from Live?
2. Have you tried connecting your Ledger to Dash Electrum?

Can you describe the usecase in more detail, to save roundtrip time? Most likely you're using different derivation path, but there aren't enough details..

Hey man- your suggestion 2 was news to me, I did not realise this was an option. And it has solved my issue 100%!! My coins all appeared.

I thought I was going mad!! Not sure why they were not appearing in ledger- and neither why they were appearing in electrum via the xpub- but it doesnt matter.

Thank you so much for your help here, I really appreciate it :)

Most likely the reason of your error was different derivation path that ledger uses. This is taken into account when you plug your device, so you've discovered it all :)

Meanwhile, if your usecase is to create a watch-only wallet, just use your xpub and correct derivation path for ledger.

Back