• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

How do I turn on HD wallet function?

brownbear

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question: The HD symbol on my Dash Core Wallet appears disabled.

How do I turn it on? I read somewhere that I had to do it when the wallet was first installed, but I guess I didn't do that!

So if I downloaded the newest wallet, 0.13.2 would I be able to turn it on when I install it? I'm concerned that doing so might require me to start a new wallet.dat file, which would not contain my funds and masternode data.

Isn't the HD dataset different from non-HD generated addresses/private keys?

thanks for your clarification!
BB ;-)

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question: The HD symbol on my Dash Core Wallet appears disabled.

How do I turn it on? I read somewhere that I had to do it when the wallet was first installed, but I guess I didn't do that!

So if I downloaded the newest wallet, 0.13.2 would I be able to turn it on when I install it? I'm concerned that doing so might require me to start a new wallet.dat file, which would not contain my funds and masternode data.

Isn't the HD dataset different from non-HD generated addresses/private keys?

thanks for your clarification!
BB ;-)

First read why they disabled it by default : https://github.com/dashpay/dash/pull/2419

The issue here is that all wallets are created unencrypted but unlike for non-deterministic wallets whose unused keys are wiped out on encryption,
hd wallets keep using the very same seed. This makes it much risker to have a non-encrypted hd wallet and ideally this period should be very short or nonexistent
(e.g. hd wallets should always be created encrypted).

Last edited:
Okay, So I downloaded the 0.13.2 version Dash wallet, and installed it.

The HD is still disabled, because I'm still using my old wallet.dat? (It's my understanding that the wallet.dat file is the file responsible for HD functions?)

What would I have to do to activate HD wallet? Will I have to move all my assets and MNs to a HD-active wallet?

thanks!
BB

Hi @brownbear please read the documentation here: https://docs.dash.org/en/stable/wallets/dashcore/advanced.html#hd-wallets

Backup any existing wallet files before starting Dash with --usedhd=1 since this may overwrite your existing wallet.dat file. The new wallet contains entirely new addresses, so if you need this functionality then yes, you will have to move all your assets and masternodes to the new wallet.

A word of warning though: for most people and MNOs it makes no sense to use Dash Core HD functionality. You should be running any masternodes from a hardware wallet, which is HD by definition and far more secure than a software wallet. There have been multiple instances in the last few months of people running masternodes on software wallets being targeted for hacking by doxxing themselves on chat and forums like you have done here. Don't get hacked, move your masternodes to hardware wallet!

Back