• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

HD dash wallets. Also, read-only addresses

GrandMasterDash

Masternode Owner/Operator
I know the HD thing can be done using vanitygen but wish it was the default for the dash wallet. I feel more assured using a 24 word list.

Would also like the option to delete private keys from a wallet and then later use a paper wallet to spend from.

Your questions are more or less what I have also been trying to figure out. But I guess it's a subject new to everyone here, so the answers are still to be discovered, and the solutions created.

Please, have a look at https://dashtalk.org/threads/encompass-the-premier-multi-currency-electrum-wallet-incl-dash.5732 for this Encompass wallet might be what you are looking for, not only regarding HD wallets.

About private keys: I believe you have probably not expressed what you really mean. It's never a good idea to "delete" private keys.

Using paper wallets is indeed a good idea. There are plenty of situations in which using cold storage brings better protection to your DASH.

I have already downloaded the above mentioned Encompass wallet in order to test its use (I have not installed it yet, though). If it works the way Electrum wallets work, then it wil be possible to import your (paper wallet) public keys into the client and use it as watch-only addresses (and I see many practical uses for it, focusing safety reasons).

Please, share with us what you find.

Unfortunately, as was pointed out in that post, Encompass doesn't support DS, MN and IX. Also, the last time I tried to install Encompass, I failed (I think it was a library conflict, can't remember)

Regarding the deletion of private keys, I mean the digital form.. just use paper copies when needed.

Unfortunately, as was pointed out in that post, Encompass doesn't support DS, MN and IX. Also, the last time I tried to install Encompass, I failed (I think it was a library conflict, can't remember)

Regarding the deletion of private keys, I mean the digital form.. just use paper copies when needed.
Have you ever tried a paper wallet?

I believe you are referring to "brain wallets", instead of "HD wallets".

HD wallets create deterministic private keys from a "seed", while brainwallets are what you can calculate from a "random" passphrase you yourself create and keep inside your head....

I don't trust brainwallets, because the human brain (at least mine) is not at all talented in giving enough entropy to a passphrase in order to make it really safe... Remember that if the created passphrase is ever guessed/found, you "lose control" of your brain wallet... worse... you lose your DASH!

I believe you are referring to "brain wallets", instead of "HD wallets".

HD wallets create deterministic private keys from a "seed", while brainwallets are what you can calculate from a "random" passphrase you yourself create and keep inside your head....

I don't trust brainwallets, because the human brain (at least mine) is not at all talented in giving enough entropy to a passphrase in order to make it really safe... Remember that if the created passphrase is ever guessed/found, you "lose control" of your brain wallet... worse... you lose your DASH!

Not a brain wallet, definitely HD wallets. Both Coinomi and Mycelium use HD wallets where the seed is generated from a fixed word list.

Not a brain wallet, definitely HD wallets. Both Coinomi and Mycelium use HD wallets where the seed is generated from a fixed word list.

I use the Mycelium wallet, and like it very much. I also like the way they provide us with a list of words as the seed of your HD wallet. We do need something like this.

I am sure this is a great start!

v12 will have watch-only addresses support internally

Code:
> help importaddress

importaddress "address" ( "label" rescan )

Adds an address or script (in hex) that can be watched as if it were in your wallet but cannot be used to spend.

Arguments:
1. "address"          (string, required) The address
2. "label"            (string, optional, default="") An optional label
3. rescan               (boolean, optional, default=true) Rescan the wallet for transactions

Note: This call can take minutes to complete if rescan is true.

Examples:

Import an address with rescan
> dash-cli importaddress "myaddress"

Import using a label without rescan
> dash-cli importaddress "myaddress" "testing" false

As a JSON-RPC call
> curl --user myusername --data-binary '{"jsonrpc": "1.0", "id":"curltest", "method": "importaddress", "params": ["myaddress", "testing", false] }' -H 'content-type: text/plain;' http://127.0.0.1:9998/

though UI for it is broken right now...

And no, no ETA for HD-wallets yet

Back