• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Found an old Darkcoin wallet backup (.dat)... How to use?

lucaslowrey

I have found a wallet.dat file from an old computer... how do I use it?

I have downloaded the DASH Core, what is my next step? I am very novice as you can tell :)

I have found a wallet.dat file from an old computer... how do I use it?

I have downloaded the DASH Core, what is my next step? I am very novice as you can tell :)

Are you using Windows? If so, try the following:
1. Open a brand new (empty) wallet by starting DASH core you just downloaded.
2. Wait (a while) until the new wallet is fully synced, then close that wallet.
3. Navigate to "C:\Users\your user name\AppData\Roaming\DashCore", where you will see a new (empty) wallet.dat file.
4. Rename that file to wallet.dat.empty or move it out of the DashCore directory... just in case it isn't actually empty.
5. Now put a copy of the old wallet.dat file into the DashCore folder, then restart DASH core just as you did in step 1.

Hopefully you have found a stash of Dash that are now much more valuable... let us know how it works out.

Thank you very much!
I've synced it, done what you said, can't see any Dash on it... I am pretty sure it is supposed to have 25 Dash: Xhu1pbUy7XgZaTfRPPcQ6oX7jELmQqrELK

On the right hand side all it says is "Recent transactions" and a sum, uploaded a screenshot but it got stuck in the spam filter... :S the sum is over 5k dash so I suppose it indicates somthing else than the account balance?

Did that - and also "recovered transactions" to no luck....

On the right hand side it says "Recent Transactions: 2014-03-11 +5 798.00 DASH" what does this imply?

Those 'Recent transactions' show on the right hand side of the 'Overview' tab. You see more tabs - Send, Receive, Transactions... click on Transactions tab to see better detail...

That address does have 24.57 Dash, untouched since May 28, 2014.

Hmm... still shows 0 DASH :(

I've attached a pic of the strange transaction in the "recent" tab.

http://pasteboard.co/N1qcJHS5m.png
Can you show screenshot of 'Transactions' tab?

Image 037.png

Yes, says received 5,798 Dash to this wallet, back in March, 2014... but tx never confirmed,
and receiving address (XgRjNJ5sqqCUsjxx7LVvJaUarohKQdoQrT) is not on the blockchain - it doesn't exist.

So this long lost wallet.dat file you found is empty... sorry to say.

As for the 24.57 DASH, they are in address Xhu1pbUy7XgZaTfRPPcQ6oX7jELmQqrELK, but that address is not in this wallet.dat file... maybe you find somewhere yet another wallet.dat stashed somewhere. You can try the same procedure with it, and hopefully gain access to those 24.57 Dash.

Back