• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Deepdotweb article

pbleak

Hey guys,

Some of you oldies may remember I wrote on article on Darkcoin back in May: http://www.deepdotweb.com/2014/05/20/the-rise-of-darkcoin/

I'm hoping to do a follow-up which is more in-depth and perhaps will spread over a few articles. I'm hoping to cover masternodes in action, darknetmarket integration possibilities, price issues and much more.

However since this will involve a lot of research I am asking whether anyone might consider donating some DRK to help ease the burden. I intend to donate roughly an hour a night (after my own research) to this series.

Anyway hopefully this is acceptable to post: XeL4CnLTYqoyLBVLj2eD5XBqThBdSSstXh

Last edited by a moderator:
Tipped you 5.

Thanks jpr! Also if anyone has any topics they feel should be included do let me know.

Market prices are not interesting tbh, if you plan on going in-depth, I would really welcome it.
Stuff worth to mention, in random order:
  • The darkcoin version of coinjoin is improved compared to all other available implementations, for example it's not vulnerable to so called sudoku/timing attacks because the coins are not mixed while sending but during the denomination phase in an open wallet. So basicly its worth to point out that mixing and sending are completely separted. I would even go further and rename evans coinjoin to darkjoin (inofficial) or something just to highlight that it is improved.
  • Darksend+ was recently released with RC4 which is a complete new implementation of Darksend, lets call it Darksend 2.0 (inofficial) which fixes a lot of stuff. People all over the internet still blame darkcoin for simply adding a broken coinjoin to bitcoin (as seen in Darksend 1.0, inofficial) but that is not the case at all.
  • People blame the closed source clients during the current development phase. I want to highlight that there are plans to release the code very soon under an open source license on github. The reasons why the development happens in a closed source environment are basicly that Evan fears that copycats create coins which blindly copy broken or unfinished work of darksend and claim something like being the new suprior anonymous coin. This is actually dangerous and thus the dev team plans to open source it after a careful code audit.
  • The code audit by Kristov Atlas (Anonymous Bitcoin) is currently taking place and as far as I know he is about to release a paper soon which will tell how good or how bad the new Darksend+ really is. It's worth to keep an eye on his blog. http://blog.anonymousbitcoinbook.com/2014/08/visualizing-one-round-of-darkcoins-darksend/
  • In addition if you have time, grab a wallet on testnet, denominate some coins and play around with darksend+. This can be fun and browsing the blockchain trying to hunt down your own coins opens eyes on how darksend+ really works. I did it some times and was kinda stunned how hard it was to find out my own inputs (even though I knew them).
Hope that helps :)

Thanks to you both. This is really excellent. I think my approach will be to post drafts here. That way I can find out if I am focusing on what the community considers important. RC5 and Darksend are essential. And vertoe these are excellent suggestions. The reason I mentioned price is just that the guys on deepdotweb will be curious about value for their own specific needs. I won't dwell on it too much and I sure as hell will avoid any talk of trading (I despise the culture of pump and dump!).

• Darkmarket integration is imporant too, we are currently looking into bitrated and openbazaar.
  • Not sure if masternodes are interesting for readers on deepdotweb, but it's a nice income. It's much simpler than mining and you earn much more.

• Darkmarket integration is imporant too, we are currently looking into bitrated and openbazaar.
  • Not sure if masternodes are interesting for readers on deepdotweb, but it's a nice income. It's much simpler than mining and you earn much more.

They are certainly curious about whether they will see a 'darkening' of the cryptocurrency used on the markets since so many are acutely aware of how public BItcoin actually is but they also lament paying fees to coin-mixers.

Regarding masternodes the reason why I want to really gain their attention is that these guys would be the type to really start using the coins in much the same way Bitcoin was fuelled by the very same people (I'll discuss the issues around this, but we've seen how it was no barrier to broader takeup with Bitcoin).

I'll certainly be asking people about some details. I feel many of the crypto articles out there are responding to trends. It seems DRK has managed to tip over into the long-term, as I always suspect it would, and that one of the best features of it is how it has taken its time. In fact I intend to frame it's core difference as precisely this willingness to really work through the features to get it right.

sounds great
i think it would be really good to have a proper write up !
there is so much bull... in these crypto "News" going around these days on the net
that a proper researched detailed story regarding DRK would clear up a lot of questions people out there might have.
am looking forward to it

Hey guys. So I think my first plan of attack will be an analysis of the whitepaper. Of course this means a focus on the fundamentals and not yet the latest news, but I think this is better. I want to get solid coverage of precisely what is involved in the tech. Really enjoyed the paper. I've read many of these, but I think they did a great job here.

Hey guys. So I think my first plan of attack will be an analysis of the whitepaper. Of course this means a focus on the fundamentals and not yet the latest news, but I think this is better. I want to get solid coverage of precisely what is involved in the tech. Really enjoyed the paper. I've read many of these, but I think they did a great job here.
The official darkcoin whitepaper? Note that it's still describing the old darksend.

Oh of course. My aim is to give a comprehensive overview so I want to capture the development process. So beginning with what was intended, some of the bumps and then the solutions that we are currently at.

Oh now that is an exciting tweet! Knowing Kristof there should be time for me to catch-up especially as he is waiting for feedback.

OK, managed to get 500 words down just to get the 'it's happening' feeling and I'm hoping to double that number nightly over the week. I will send out drafts to a few people on here by the weekend.

Back