• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Core Error - A fatal internal error occured

MasterV

Greetings,

I just finished installing Dash v0.12.1.1.
Once the installation finished, Dash Core client started and I saw a message out of sync, syncing with the network.
A few minutes after this, I received a pop up message:
Dash Core - Error
Error: A fatal internal error occurred, see debug.log for details
(see attached)

I shutdown Dash and restarted.
I received a message: Block Chain Corrupted, Do you want to rebuild

Attachments

• Dash Core Fatal Internal error.jpg
    Dash Core Fatal Internal error.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Dash Core Fatal Error debug log.txt
    381.4 KB · Views: 114
Greetings,

After approx. 30 minutes of Synch'ing with the network ...
Saw the same Dash Core - Error again ..
Error: A fatal internal error occurred, see debug.log for details
And my Dash App shuts down.

I was hoping to buy my first Dash today, but worried there is a problem with my Dash Wallet.

Any suggestions ?

thanks

regards,
Bill

Code:
2017-02-20 19:40:59 Unable to open file C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\DashCore\blocks\blk00000.dat
2017-02-20 19:40:59 ERROR: ReadBlockFromDisk: OpenBlockFile failed for CBlockDiskPos(nFile=0, nPos=131303)
2017-02-20 19:40:59 *** Failed to read block

This means that smth happened to the file where blocks are stored. Check your anti-virus if you have one and make sure it didn't move this file to quarantine or affected it in some other way. Also make sure you you disk is not corrupted. I'm not sure what kind of utilities there are on Windows tbh, should say smth like "scan disk for errors" or smth like that.

Thanks for the feedback UdjinM6

Did a disk scan/disk diagnostics. There are no issues with my disk.
I found all .dat files under \DashCore were associated to Norton anti-virus, so I changed that.
Also opened up read/write permissions under \DashCore
opened up the firewall for dash-qt.exe to allow internet access

Getting a different error now (see attached screen shot and debug.log)
Note: debug.log was to large to upload, so made a copy and removed oldest info.

thanks

regards,

Bill

Attachments

• Dash Core Fatal Internal error2.jpg
    Dash Core Fatal Internal error2.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 101
  • debug.log.txt
    583.2 KB · Views: 109
Hmm.. smth is still preventing read/write access sporadically, not only for blocks but for indexes also
Code:
2017-02-22 01:27:17 Opening LevelDB in C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\DashCore\blocks\index
2017-02-22 01:27:17 IO error: C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\DashCore\blocks\index\LOCK: Could not lock file.

Strange thing is that eventually it lets it go but then it just corrupts blocks again. My guess would be that Norton has way too aggressive heuristics.

Try the following:
- grab bootstrap https://github.com/udjinm6/dash-bootstrap
- disconnect from internet
- disable antivirus (temporary)
- follow bootstrap instructions and try to sync that way

If that works, you need to deal with Norton and tell it that Dash Core files are ok. I'm not sure what or where to tune in Norton exactly, but should be smth like "trust that app" or "ignore that folder" I guess.

Hmm.. smth is still preventing read/write access sporadically, not only for blocks but for indexes also
Code:
2017-02-22 01:27:17 Opening LevelDB in C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\DashCore\blocks\index
2017-02-22 01:27:17 IO error: C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\DashCore\blocks\index\LOCK: Could not lock file.

Strange thing is that eventually it lets it go but then it just corrupts blocks again. My guess would be that Norton has way too aggressive heuristics.

Try the following:
- grab bootstrap https://github.com/udjinm6/dash-bootstrap
- disable antivirus (temporary)
- follow bootstrap instructions and try to sync that way

If that works, you need to deal with Norton and tell it that Dash Core files are ok. I'm not sure what or where to tune in Norton exactly, but should be smth like "trust that app" or "ignore that folder" I guess.

I followed your instructions:
downloaded the bootstrap https://github.com/udjinm6/dash-bootstrap
- disabled my antivirus (temporary)
- followed the bootstrap instructions to try and sync
Note: I also set up a custom antivirus scan to filter out and not scan all files under \DashCore

I am now getting a different error (see attached debug_022717.log and screen shot)
Any ideas ?

thanks
regards.
Bill

Attachments

• Dash Core Fatal Internal error3.jpg
    Dash Core Fatal Internal error3.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 96
  • debug_022717.txt
    157.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited by a moderator:
I followed your instructions:
downloaded the bootstrap https://github.com/udjinm6/dash-bootstrap
- disabled my antivirus (temporary)
- followed the bootstrap instructions to try and sync
Note: I also set up a custom antivirus scan to filter out and not scan all files under \DashCore

I am now getting a different error (see attached debug_022717.log and screen shot)
Any ideas ?

thanks
regards.
Bill
That's quite confusing... I know it doesn't sound great but I can't reproduce that even using 2 different machines and vm..
Try removing "blocks" and "chainstate" folder and open wallet again.

EDIT: please update you wallet to 0.12.1.2 - this should make no difference in terms of solving this specific issue (few bugs were fixed but they were not related iirc), so it's just to make sure we both use the same version while digging for solution.

Code:
2017-02-20 19:40:59 Unable to open file C:\Users\William\AppData\Roaming\DashCore\blocks\blk00000.dat
2017-02-20 19:40:59 ERROR: ReadBlockFromDisk: OpenBlockFile failed for CBlockDiskPos(nFile=0, nPos=131303)
2017-02-20 19:40:59 *** Failed to read block

This means that smth happened to the file where blocks are stored. Check your anti-virus if you have one and make sure it didn't move this file to quarantine or affected it in some other way. Also make sure you you disk is not corrupted. I'm not sure what kind of utilities there are on Windows tbh, should say smth like "scan disk for errors" or smth like that.

Using BerkeleyDB version Berkeley DB 4.8.30: (April 9, 2010)

2017-02-20 20:00:16 ERROR: CheckProofOfWork(): nBits below minimum work
2017-02-20 20:00:16 ERROR: ReadBlockFromDisk: Errors in block header at CBlockDiskPos(nFile=0, nPos=113663)
2017-02-20 20:00:16 ERROR: VerifyDB(): *** ReadBlockFromDisk failed at 580,

http://www.monitis.com/blog/berkeley-db-performance-tuning/
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1454836.0

Last edited:
That's quite confusing... I know it doesn't sound great but I can't reproduce that even using 2 different machines and vm..
Try removing "blocks" and "chainstate" folder and open wallet again.

EDIT: please update you wallet to 0.12.1.2 - this should make no difference in terms of solving this specific issue (few bugs were fixed but they were not related iirc), so it's just to make sure we both use the same version while digging for solution.

This problem is really puzzling to me too ... and I am bummed I missed out on this last Dash run up to $55
:-(
Don't know if maybe this is some Windows10 UAC/Admin or User permissions thing ...
I went ahead and deleted the /blocks and /chain state folders and re-opened the wallet ... it recreated them and the block file (blk00000.dat) from the bootstrap file, but still getting an Error .
2017-02-23 23:54:26 ERROR: CheckProofOfWork(): nBits below minimum work
2017-02-23 23:54:26 ERROR: ReadBlockFromDisk: Errors in block header at CBlockDiskPos(nFile=0, nPos=387319)
2017-02-23 23:54:26 *** Failed to read block
(see attached)

Any more ideas ?
thanks

Bill

Attachments

• Dash Core Fatal Internal error4.jpg
    Dash Core Fatal Internal error4.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 96
  • debug_030317.txt
    7.4 KB · Views: 84
There have been a few windows 10 issues along the same lines that may be related to user profile corruption but I've not heard any feedback on it. The simplest test is to create a new profile and install the Dash client on that, if all runs ok there's plenty of info on fixing the corrupted profile.

All similar issues with bitcoin client I was able to find lead to the same root case - smth is wrong with the disk itself or with disk controller or its driver.
Some people were able to make it work after they did disk defragmentation, maybe try that too?

If you need to move funds and nothing helps, try installing wallet on another machine or in VM and copying wallet.dat there.

All similar issues with bitcoin client I was able to find lead to the same root case - smth is wrong with the disk itself or with disk controller or its driver.
Some people were able to make it work after they did disk defragmentation, maybe try that too?

If you need to move funds and nothing helps, try installing wallet on another machine or in VM and copying wallet.dat there.

It seems to me that it is the Berkeley DB you are using.
It is 4.8.30: (April 9, 2010)
A 7 years old database could have driver AND/OR performance issues.

Back