• Forum has been upgraded, all links, images, etc are as they were. Please see Official Announcements for more information

Dash Clone?

Nathaniel Dance

I am exploring altcoins for a use case. Unfortunately, I cannot currently go into detail about the use case, so I'll do my best to explain in general/abstract terms.

In short, I am investigating the use of a digital currency for a large, physical community. The community has an established identity. The objective is to further solidify the identity by trading locally in a branded currency.

Dash appears to have the features that are ideal for this community.

In order for the community to continue to solidify it's "brand", it would be ideal to white-label/rebrand/clone Dash.

With that said, I (or the community) definitely would like to not detract from the Dash community, and would prefer to embrace, encourage, and further the Dash community.

Would it be possible to "clone" or "rebrand" Dash, but still leverage the Dash network - specifically exchanges, masternodes, etc? Would a fork be required or is there another solution?

Thanks for your help!

?? Sound to me that - you just want the wallet to look different ??
??Using a different name??

.....crazy talk I tell ya....

?? Sound to me that - you just want the wallet to look different ??
??Using a different name??

.....crazy talk I tell ya....

Yes. Different name/brand.

I completely understand why it sounds like "crazy talk", and for all the reasons it is "crazy talk", that is why I would *not* want to "clone" the currency.

Instead, I'm hoping to find a solution where this branded coin would be, for all intents and purpose, the same coin - just a different name.

For example, what if Scotland decided "no more British Sterling, no Euro... We want a digital currency and we want it to have our identity."

If Scotland asked the Dash community for a branded coin, could it be possible?

The only thing I can see you doing, if you want to make use of the network, is to make a wallet with your brand. You might be able to change the name of Dash in the code but it will still be Dash, however, I would think that it would be confusing to the users. You can always fork Dash and change anything you like, from how much Dash is rewarded when mined, etc... but you'd have to build up your own network, and it would be a completely new coin.

In the end, the thing that's hard to recreate, since Dash is completely open sourced, is the network. That it's backed by a large market cap and strong network. In fact, Dash is the only network to rival Bitcoin's.

The only thing I can see you doing, if you want to make use of the network, is to make a wallet with your brand. You might be able to change the name of Dash in the code but it will still be Dash, however, I would think that it would be confusing to the users. You can always fork Dash and change anything you like, from how much Dash is rewarded when mined, etc... but you'd have to build up your own network, and it would be a completely new coin.

In the end, the thing that's hard to recreate, since Dash is completely open sourced, is the network. That it's backed by a large market cap and strong network. In fact, Dash is the only network to rival Bitcoin's.

Yeah, I really don't want to try to recreate or detract from the Dash network. I would prefer to add value to the Dash Network - which leads me to another possible solution/question -

What if a third tier in the Dash network existed to proxy transactions FROM a branded/vanity, dash-based coin TO an actual dash transaction.
The 3rd-tier nodes could do double duty as master nodes, so any community interested in their own currency would be adding additional value to the Dash Network, while being able to trade directly in any other community's currency created on the same Dash Currency Network Platform.

IMHO, it would create a possibility for Dash to become a universal currency... If I could provide a pull request, would the Dash Community consider it?

PS: Thank you so much - I really appreciate you seriously considering my question.

Does Dash have it's own Ethereum? Could it?

https://www.ethereum.org/token

No, I don't think you'll be able to do anything like that in Dash as the Dash project has a highly defined goal of becoming digital cash. It's not about ability or code, but about the vision of where Dash is going. Now, contracts between people will of course be possible, and they may even be very sophisticated, however such contracts would be on the "other side" of the DAPI (Distributed Application Programing Interface), and not in the core wallet. A lot of the DAPI functions have been laid out already in the documentation, and if you're a programmer, and good at design, maybe you can see if there is a way to use the DAPI to create what you need? I'm not that talented though :/ :) You can find all the information about Dash Evolution here: https://www.dash.org/evolution/

No, I don't think you'll be able to do anything like that in Dash as the Dash project has a highly defined goal of becoming digital cash. It's not about ability or code, but about the vision of where Dash is going. Now, contracts between people will of course be possible, and they may even be very sophisticated, however such contracts would be on the "other side" of the DAPI (Distributed Application Programing Interface), and not in the core wallet. A lot of the DAPI functions have been laid out already in the documentation, and if you're a programmer, and good at design, maybe you can see if there is a way to use the DAPI to create what you need? I'm not that talented though :/ :) You can find all the information about Dash Evolution here: https://www.dash.org/evolution/

Interesting, I was just about to respond to this thread again, with this:

I see here on this page, that "In the future, there will be more services performed by the masternodes network"

Is anyone working on providing an abstract contract service like Ethereum's Solidity?

If not, would the Dash Community welcome a pull request for an abstract contract service on the masternode network?

If not, could I pay my MN collateral fee and run a forked masternode in network? I'm not familiar with the source yet, but in my quick research, it looks like that would be poss....

EOM

So yes, I'm very interested.

I could see something like branded "dash chains" (side-chains) and or branded "dash communities" (evo).

- Social networks with currency build in.
- Give bloom to easy to implement "dash-alt-coins" via DAPI, instead of bitcoin-alt-coin with devs/miners.

Maybe @eduffield and team could munch on this over a glass of wine or something.

I am exploring altcoins for a use case. Unfortunately, I cannot currently go into detail about the use case, so I'll do my best to explain in general/abstract terms.

In short, I am investigating the use of a digital currency for a large, physical community. The community has an established identity. The objective is to further solidify the identity by trading locally in a branded currency.

Dash appears to have the features that are ideal for this community.

In order for the community to continue to solidify it's "brand", it would be ideal to white-label/rebrand/clone Dash.

With that said, I (or the community) definitely would like to not detract from the Dash community, and would prefer to embrace, encourage, and further the Dash community.

Would it be possible to "clone" or "rebrand" Dash, but still leverage the Dash network - specifically exchanges, masternodes, etc? Would a fork be required or is there another solution?

Thanks for your help!

I'm not technical enough to answer this question properly, but I'm curious about your idea... can you not just run a separate daemon on participating MNs and then bridging with the dash daemon?

I'm not technical enough to answer this question properly, but I'm curious about your idea... can you not just run a separate daemon on participating MNs and then bridging with the dash daemon?

Yeah, that's basically what I'm thinking - provide a MN that also provides an abstract contract service, which would support building something similar to what Ethereum calls Tokens (ie; https://www.ethereum.org/token)

If it's abstract contract services and tokens you want, there is Counterparty, which is hosted on Bitcoin. Counterparty is testing its own version of the Ethereum Virtual Machine / Solidity. The Counterparty protocol (which is completely open source) could be ported for use on the Dash blockchain. You could call it Dashparty, or something else. I wouldn't call it Lemonparty. Don't Google that.

If you decide to follow the way that Counterparty launched on Bitcoin, you can launch a new token through a 'proof of burn' period where Dash would be sent to an irretrievable address in exchange for the new base token. 'Proof of burn' is a pretty cool way to do a launch, and is about as clean as you can get for a non-mineable currency.

Last edited:
If it's abstract contract services and tokens you want, there is Counterparty, which is hosted on Bitcoin. Counterparty is testing its own version of the Ethereum Virtual Machine / Solidity. The Counterparty protocol (which is completely open source) could be ported for use on the Dash blockchain. You could call it Dashparty, or something else. I wouldn't call it Lemonparty. Don't Google that.

If you decide to follow the way that Counterparty launched on Bitcoin, you can launch a new token through a 'proof of burn' period where Dash would be sent to an irretrievable address in exchange for the new base token. 'Proof of burn' is a pretty cool way to do a launch, and is about as clean as you can get for a non-mineable currency.

LOL, I will *not* Google (I use DuckDuckGo anyhow) Lemonparty.

I will DDG Counterparty though, thanks for the heads up. It does sound promising, I'll take a look at their code. If it's clean, it could be an easy port and really only necessary to tie it to the MN network.

Cheers!

LOL, I will *not* Google (I use DuckDuckGo anyhow) Lemonparty.

I will DDG Counterparty though, thanks for the heads up. It does sound promising, I'll take a look at their code. If it's clean, it could be an easy port and really only necessary to tie it to the MN network.

Cheers!

DDG say they don't track you, but their advertisers do.. end result is exactly the same as google!

Interesting, I was just about to respond to this thread again, with this:

I see here on this page, that "In the future, there will be more services performed by the masternodes network"

Is anyone working on providing an abstract contract service like Ethereum's Solidity?

If not, would the Dash Community welcome a pull request for an abstract contract service on the masternode network?

If not, could I pay my MN collateral fee and run a forked masternode in network? I'm not familiar with the source yet, but in my quick research, it looks like that would be poss....

EOM

So yes, I'm very interested.
I have been taking this solidity tutorial for a while now and I am interested in abstract contract service on the master node network.
I can say I have become pretty well acquainted with the language and am ready to start a job with the same.

Back